3. Celebrity Equinox
I want to give it a 3.5 if 3 is average and 4 is very good. After thorough researching I though I found a cruise ship with good food. I thought that with celebrity aligning themselves up with top chef and overall other friends of mine saying the food was not bad in the oceanview cafe, I thought it was be safe to assume MDR, and the pay restaurants would be great. After my first experience at the MDR I was very dissapointed. MDR Service was very slow, took over 2 hours to finish a meal (maybe because we were the last seating? on fixed time), food was oversalted, and our waiters failed to mention that you had to request more than a day in advance to have less salt on your meal as the meals were preprepared, we only found that out when we had lunch randomly in silhouette on deck 4 about 2/3's of the way through our cruise. We bought the pay dining package so we sampled the silk harvest, murano, tuscan grill, and paid 10 for bistro on 5. Good: Murano had good food and great service pastries with a tart/hard shell were good. Crepes on bistro on 5 were pretty good. some items of the oceanview cafe were decent Bad: Murano's tables by the windows are shaky at times depending on I'm guessing the engine of the ship/anchor raising? MDR had terrible food all around and lousy service Our Maitre'd did not seem very interested in helping us out as we did not want to dine (deck 3 silhouette) Food in general was overly salty Tuscan grill managed to top the terrible food and service of the MDR. - the veal steak I had tasted like I was eating salt with texture, no flavor, no grill flavor, lacking beef flavor. - Server did not even ask me how well I wanted my steak done and went away - tiramisu lacking marscapone Note: Silk harvest is very far from traditional asian dishes, their concept is more fusion/tapas style, like things you would get at an izakaya. The fusion is also not created with asian palate in mind. We were on fixed time dining, as there was not enough room for the other one where you show up when you want to eat. entertainment was ok considering there aren't many facilities for that type of stuff on the celebrity with all it's bars, and pay to eat areas, definitely nothing compared to even the older freedom class from RCCL. cabin, one additional note, our attendant always didn't provide enough toiletries for our stateroom even upon our repeated requests, we'd end up having to request it late at night after dinner after reembarking. Room service was nice For concierge, you have fresh squeezed juice as part of the enhanced menu of room service, if you didn't purchase drink packages, it's good to make use of the room service menu for fresh squeezed juice in the mornings. We never opted for the canapes as we prefer sitting and eating at a dining area. Embarking and disembarking went very smoothly. The shops on the ship seemed overpriced, I looked up some of the items such as watches on amazon and you could purchase it far cheaper in US on Amazon. The itinerary was great. I thought they would refund us money in terms of onboard credit for charging for an extra day in istanbul, and leaving one day early due to their perception of threat and safety, but we received extra hours in some ports instead, which I'm not sure if it costed them any extra in port charges. Technically I think they should refund that to us in OBC as it was paid for the extra day in Istanbul and we didn't receive that service. Not sure if ports charge per hour or per day for mooring, though even if it's per hour, we lost something like 20 hours, and gained perhaps 8 hours on the other ports? not much transparency on how that was charged to us.

Nice Sailing, Terrible Food

Celebrity Equinox Cruise Review by hkaya

I want to give it a 3.5 if 3 is average and 4 is very good.

Good:

Murano had good food and great service

pastries with a tart/hard shell were good.

Crepes on bistro on 5 were pretty good.

some items of the oceanview cafe were decent

Bad:

MDR had terrible food all around and lousy service

Food in general was overly salty

Tuscan grill managed to top the terrible food and service of the MDR.

- Server did not even ask me how well I wanted my steak done and went away

- tiramisu lacking marscapone

Note:

Embarking and disembarking went very smoothly.

The itinerary was great.

hkaya’s Full Rating Summary
Get Celebrity Equinox price drops

Concierge Class
Cabin C1 1409
Very nice views from the aft, for our particular sailing we could see most every sunrise from our balcony on the horizon.
Very quiet end of the ship, cabin next to us was smoking which was not supposed to be allowed by their smoking policy but stopped when we brought it up with guest services.

Cabin was pretty roomy.
Resort Deck Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Athens (Piraeus)
    I think everyone must see the acropolis when they are there, a very important place to our civilization. much of the temples have been restored, and it all looks great.

Food was pretty good, way better than the ship's food.
    View All 1,276 Athens (Piraeus) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Athens (Piraeus) Cruise Port Review
  • Corfu
    A lot to do and see but we were pretty tired from the heat from the previous 2 ports and didn't get to explore much. Lot of churches, and forts.

Food was under average
    View All 681 Corfu Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Corfu Cruise Port Review
  • Dubrovnik
    Even larger and nicer than kotor, food was average, nice laundry place right outside of old town good, place mid cruise to do laundry as laundry on ship is ridiculously expensive.
    View All 1,220 Dubrovnik Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Dubrovnik Cruise Port Review
  • private transfer to florence, stop in pisa
    so much to see in florence so little time. With freak traffic accidents the time it takes to go from livorno to florence may be quite substantial.

There are a lot of nice boutique shops with affordable clothing, in the main area near the art gallerys, museums and cathedrals though the brand name stores litter the streets.

food is pretty good, we went to a 1 michelin star restaurant, but it was deconstructed molecular gastronomy, not my type of food that I like, service was top notch though, I've never had better service.
    View All 13,797 private transfer to florence, stop in pisa Reviews
  • Istanbul
    Istanbul was great, we stayed at a hotel in the sultanahmet area, walking distance to hagia sophia, blue mosque, topi kapi, grand bazaar, and spice market.

food was alright, nothing oustanding, better than the ship food.

We wanted to go to turkuazoo but didn't have the time unfortunately
    View All 404 Istanbul Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Istanbul Cruise Port Review
  • Kotor
    Very nice, we didn't walk up the wall going into the mountain, we did walk around the city front wall in old town.

Food was average (but way better than ship food), buildings are very well maintained nice place for pictures all around.
    View All 736 Kotor Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Kotor Cruise Port Review
  • Kusadasi
    The excavated very well preserved ruins of the ancient city of ephesus, there is a lot to see as it used to be an important entire city.
    View All 632 Kusadasi Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Kusadasi Cruise Port Review
  • House of the Virgin Mary
    remaking of what is believed to be the house of virgin mary into a tourist destination, I have conflicting feelings about that but I will leave that aside and say if you are religious and virgin mary is of significance to you then you should visit this site.
    View All 81 House of the Virgin Mary Reviews
  • Marseille
    walked around the city, a bit of the old port, took a bus up the hill to notre dame de la garde, a lot of cathedrals, palaces, and forts/castles to see, but very spread out. with 1 day you probably won't be able to see everything unless you are on a tight schedule with a excursion tour.

food was average
    View All 839 Marseille Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Marseille Cruise Port Review
  • Monaco (Monte Carlo)
    anchored in villefrance, tendered into the port, walked to train and trained 7 mins over to monaco.

monte carlo was great, excellent food, and very interesting to walk around. Even moreso if you like the grand prix and want to walk along the track. Casino was too fancy for me to enter, but views were very nice off the side of the casino area, especially when you go up to the palace, you can get a really good overview of most of montecarlo there.

We went to Joel Robuchon a 2 michelin star restaurant. It was the best food I've had in my life. It was modern french I believe and the light appetizers and main I ordered really suited my palate. Highly recommended, we made a reservation beforehand, but it seemed like they had a lot of tables so they may be able to accomodate lunch even with no reservations. I did overhear that dinner was fully booked for the next 3 days however, so it must be a popular spot at night.
    View All 501 Monaco (Monte Carlo) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Monaco (Monte Carlo) Cruise Port Review
  • Mykonos
    very good place to kick back and relax.
    in the summer even though it's hot all around other cities, as mykonos is right by the water, strong winds blow that heat away and it's very refreshing.

Everything you would want to see is pretty much walking distance, all the houses are very nicely painted, food was excellent, at the sandwich shop, bakery, and italian restaurant i went to.
    View All 1,085 Mykonos Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Mykonos Cruise Port Review
  • Rome (Civitavecchia)
    Villa d'este and Hadrian's villa in Tivoli.
    Man they are very sensitive about photos and photo taking, we were stopped by people in both sites saying we can't take photos, but in hadrian's villa, when we confirmed whether we could or not with the administration, they let us, but by then we had to leave as we were on a strict schedule with our tour group.

Villa D'este however kept saying their director is the only one that can authorize and she wasn't there so no photos.

I mean what is the point of even going to these places if you can't take photos?
    View All 2,225 Rome (Civitavecchia) Cruise Port Reviews