3. Viking Neptune
This trip was for me a check on a long held item on my bucket list. I have been to France, Paris and the area just north of the Pirineos, before. But, as a former history teacher, there was a great desire to sail north on the Seine and visit Normandy and especially the area of the D Day invasion. From the first minute at Charles De Gaulle, the Viking staff was wonderful in gathering us as a group and getting us on our way to the ship. The ship was delightful, the cabin was well looked after and the service was superb. The staff did so many little extras that it was wonderful, from the warm beverage when we returned from a tour to the towel bunny and Easter eggs in the cabin on Easter Sunday. The cruise on the Seine and the stops that we made were all interesting and historically speaking very meaningful. To visit the Normandy beaches on Easter Sunday was so moving and Viking providing the flowers for us to place at the graves and the ceremony at the American cemetery was very emotional. Viking even provided an alternate tour for those passengers from the Commonwealth countries. I wish I could have taken that one also. I especially liked the cruise on the Seine and seeing the countryside and small towns along the river where we stopped. Rouen and the Joan of Arc tour as well as the history of that city were also favorites. All in all, a wonderful experience, with excellent food and wine and those desserts and cheeses. So special and so well remembered. Can't wait for next year to go on another.

A Dream Fulfilled

Cindy Deik’s Full Rating Summary
Get Viking Neptune price drops

Deluxe Stateroom with Large Window
Cabin A 313
While this was one of the older ships, we felt that it was well maintained and superiorly cleaned. We had all the amenities needed to enjoy our trip and were very comfortable. We loved the long ship from our first trip, but knew in advance that this was an older one and we wanted the add on to Oxford and that was our trade off so we felt that the cabin was more than adequate and were quite happy with the space, the bath, etc.
Upper Deck Outside Cabins

• City Tour
    A bus tour of the city with a stop at the Eiffel Tower. For my husband it was a good overview of Paris and for me a trip back in memory of my summer of 30 years before. A good start to then go out on your ow.
    View All 87 City Tour Reviews
  • D-Day Beaches
    The highlight for me as a former history teacher. Well done and very emotional. Would have liked a little more time in Arromanche but the time at Omaha Beach and the cemetery on a beautiful Easter Sunday was a high point for me.
    View All 66 D-Day Beaches Reviews
  • Monet at Giverny Gardens
    Early April so not many flowers but it was a good morning for learning about Monet and seeing Giverny. Enjoyed it but we are more into history and not so much art.
    View All 63 Monet at Giverny Gardens Reviews
  • Highlights Tour
    A wonderful guided tour of the city, cathedral, Joan of Arc monuments, etc. The guide was superb and did a great job as it was a packed city on Easter Saturday so many shoppers and she kept us all together and moving. Excellent info.
    View All 29 Highlights Tour Reviews