3. Viking Sun (Retired)
I'd been looking for ages at the Viking Advertisements on TV and finally decided, expensive or not, I was going to go! Also decided to thank my good friend Beate for all her kindness to myself and my husband by asking her to come as well, all expenses on me. (My husband has Alzheimer's Syndrome and cannot travel) We were both worn out with work and worry, but from the minute we boarded the plane, we began to feel better...and things, after that, just got better and better. Once aboard and in our cabin, I decided that my clothes were too creased to be decent, so trotted off to Reception and asked if they could be ironed. "Go back to your cabin and someone will be there in a few minutes to collect them" said the delightful young lady at the desk. They weren't there in a few minutes - they were waiting outside the door! My clothes were returned, beautifully pressed about 45 minutes later. Beate was feeling chilly, so off to the desk I went again, and blankets were immediately provided. I'd left my curling irons at home, but lo and behold! - that nice young lady provided them and allowed me to keep them till we disembarked at Basel... Every single member of staff, no matter what their personal difficulties - and there must have been some of them - were nevertheless smiling and cheerful, greeting one with a "good Morning/Afternoon/Evening - right from the cleaners up to the Captain. At first, we found the coffee rather bland, but a word with a waiter and we were given double strength coffee for the rest of the voyage. That's the only culinary criticism I have. The food was delicious, so much so that it is hard to single out anything for high praise; however, I have to say I'll always remember with pleasure the soup at one of the themed evenings. My memory is getting awfully bad, but being now an O B E (Over B....y Eighty) - I'm sure you'll forgive that little blank. We ate so much that in the evenings we marched around the deck ten times each night, in an effort to keep the flab at bay. All of the waiters were smiling and chirpily cheerful and not averse to a mild joke now and then, which was great, human beings, not starched robots. We would have liked to go on excursions more often, but that is only because the temperature was so horribly high (on at least one day 109F) that it was safer for us to stay on board and luxuriate in the Air Conditioned lounge, library or cabin, or stroll along the river bank if there were trees. We loved Amsterdam, Cologne and Lucerne. made all the more interesting by the knowledgeable guides. I did manage to go to the Fort in the terrible heat - just to take fotos for my War-gaming son - and the guide there was not just informative but also highly amusing, which I enjoyed very much. The entertainment wasn't as good as that on my first cruise, last year. This may be perhaps that since that was on the Danube, the local entertainers were more colourful, both in dress and vivacity. (I'm taking a Viking cruise on the Danube next year!) Disembarkation was well organised and easy, even in that heat. The Schweizerhof in Lucern was, of course, superb and our journey home went very smoothly. Thanks to everyone for our lovely holiday. We both came home refreshed, revived and ready to take on the world!

Amsterdam to Lucerne 28. 06.15

Viking Sun (Retired) Cruise Review by Susch

• Sail Date: June 2015
  • Destination: Europe River
  • Cabin Type: Standard Stateroom

Disembarkation was well organised and easy, even in that heat.

Susch’s Full Rating Summary
Get Viking Sun (Retired) price drops

Standard Stateroom
Cabin E 107
Small, of course, but enough storage and hanging spaces, comfortable beds, but it's just for sleeping in so why want more?
Middle Deck Outside Cabins