3. Viking Gefjon
Gefjon - July 2015: It was indeed a trip of a lifetime, and Viking did a great job! Everyone, from a deckhand to the Captain, did everything that they could to make it so for us -- and we really appreciated it. We sailed the Grand European Trip from Budapest to Amsterdam. The Gefjon was only 70 days in commission at the start of our trip - but you would have never known it by the way everything happened on time, cheerfully and with every detail taken care of in advance. Everyone ends up with several people in the crew that they seem to enjoy being with and we had several crew members that made the trip even more special - I especially remember Georgi, one of our waiters, who did a really great job taking care of us. I don't remember all the names, but we have some great pictures which will help the memories remain fresh. The dining room, terrace and bar were just excellent, and the omlet man, who's name I cannot remember, did a wonderful job there and on the grill out front. The young bartenderess was sweet and mixed us many a great drink. If you go on one of the "long ships" you are in for a treat! And do get a cabin with the veranda so you can spend some time just watching live along the river take place, mile after mile, never fast, but always changing right before your eyes. My wife considered that time one of her favorite memories of the trip. And part of the price of the trip were all the excursions that were set up for us. One every day and never too long or hard or boring, ever. And we always made it back in time to eat another wonderful meal! The food was varied, ethnic and well prepared. My only complaint is that we were offered bread pudding only once! And I guess that is really a good thing since I can't resist and it was great and I would not have fit into anything to go home in after 15 days! Both our arrival in Budapest, with it's trip to the boat and our trip to the airport in Amsterdam was handled with cheerfulness and efficiency. Thanks to all those fine folks! All in all this was a great cruise and when I asked I tell folks that it is as good as the TV ads make it seem to be -- ONLY BETTER!

Viking Gefjon

JRinSC’s Full Rating Summary
Get Viking Gefjon price drops

Veranda Stateroom
Cabin B 237
This was a well designed, well equipped and appointed stateroom. My wife said, "It's true, the floors are heated in the bathroom!" Neat. The only complaint at all was that we had a "coverlet" type sheet -- no separate sheet and spread -- and that took a little getting used to, but no big problem. The veranda was perfect and we enjoyed spending some time out there, both tied up and underway. In fact, that is my wife's only complaint at all -- when we rafted up along side another long ship our view was blocked off.
Middle Deck Balcony Cabins