3. Viking Emerald
Our first cruise on a Viking ship was all that was promised and more! Our Chinese Guide Bob spoke excellent English as he explained the Chinese culture both in today's world and many centuries in the past. As we traveled Bob took care of all of our luggage. All we had to do was pack our bags, they would be picked up at a designated time and we would find them in our room at the next destination. On the shore excursions we visited all of the sights promised but along with that the bus rides afforded us the opportunity to see the neighborhoods, the buildings, the atmosphere of the Chinese people. So many wonderful sights. We always had a second guide from the area who graciously answered all of our questions. We learned so much about the Chinese culture from guides who thoroughly knew their subject and had pride and love for their country The ship was no beauty from the outside. But once you entered the doors you would never know it. The interior was sparkling clean the rooms were spacious and beautiful. The staff was very friendly and helpful. By the second day many of the staff knew me by name. The food onboard offered many choices. It was fun to select from some of the Chinese delicacies. Yet steak and chicken choices were always available. Be sure to try the homemade yoghurt that is offered with breakfast. I usually am not a fan of yoghurt I tried a different flavor each morning and loved them all. They come in a cute little jar too. As to the entertainment on board I can't say I was really I impressed. I did enjoy the cooking shows but the nighttime entertainment left a lot to be desired. We were part of a tour group of about 30 people with Bob as our guide. This made it very easy to meet people and everyone was very friendly. There was always somebody we recognized that we could join in one of the sitting areas or at dinner. We became special friend with 3 other couples who we are still in contact with. We loved our trip to China with Viking. I would and have recommended it to everyone. The Viking style of travel has spoiled me. My husband and I have booked a second trip this November on the Romantic Danube trip. Looking forward to seeing the Christmas markets and another great Viking experience.

Shanghai to Beijing Imperial Jewels of China

Viking Emerald Cruise Review by Vickyd

Vickyd’s Full Rating Summary
Get Viking Emerald price drops

The room was beautiful at the top of the boat and close to the bar. Which my husband loved. Although everything is close on this ship. The bed was very comfortable. Although we really did not spend too much time in our room I loved sitting out on the veranda and watching the scenery. Lots of storage.

• Forbidden City
    The Forbidden City entailed a lot of walking we look it slow and it was well worth it. As Bob explained the history of the venue you could imagine living in those long ago centuries. It was an awesome experience. I would not want to have missed anything and came away from the tour with a better understanding of the Chinese cultures and people.
    View All 31 Forbidden City Reviews
  • Hutong Tour
    This was just fun. We rode in rickshaws and visited a home where the daughter painted snuff bottles. The lady of the house had a very interesting story about her life before, during and after the cultural revolution.
    View All 17 Hutong Tour Reviews
  • Mutianyu Great Wall
    The wall goes on for miles and miles. Again lots of walking and very crowded although Bob brought us early so he said we missed most of the crowds. A great experience
    View All 7 Mutianyu Great Wall Reviews
  • Tiananmen Square
    Very very crowded. But it's a huge square and plenty of room. We came during the day with our tour group but a few of us had walked over the night before to see it all lit up. I would recommend that.. It was quite surreal as I thought of all that had happened in the square. It was the one Tri reminder that China is still a communist country.
    View All 23 Tiananmen Square Reviews
  • Shanghai
    Beautiful City. The Bund was very interesting and the view of the buildings on the opposite shore was fun.
    View All 115 Shanghai Cruise Port Reviews