Just got back from one of the finest cruises I have ever taken...and glanced at the prior reviews. Were they on the same ship because what I and others experienced was the exact opposite. In some 40 years of cursing the world from Regent to NCL my experience on the Regatta, hands down, was the finest I have experienced. Why: Boarding...Boarded about 2 pm in Vancouver.. no lines..just walk on casually to our cabin .Our bags showed up prior to 3 pm and we were happily all stowed away by 3:30. Cabin: in studying the cabins I determined the best 2 cabins were either an inside or a penthouse, with the inside having the best deal. At 160 sq ft the cabin was very well laid out on the 7th deck with quick access to everything. The bathroom was compact but the shower was totally right...compact but worked great even with a curtain there was no over spray. Cabin storage was excellent with tons of drawers and cabinets and 2 closets that were more than enough. ( we even had empty drawers) Safety Drill. Was organized better than any I have been to.. people were organized in groups and then single file to exit to the boat station... not let to rush out in a gaggle. The result was smooth and way more orderly than I had ever seen. I was very impressed by the organizational detail because it treated the situation with a very serious nature. The ship/Décor: Like a English country house...probably the most beautiful decorated and laid out ship I have ever seen, every corner and detail was class. Totally different from design of the monster ships...subitle and refined with a crew to match!!! Dining: Cooking and cuisine are a hobby with me to the extent I have taken professional training with Cordon Blu and Culinary Institute of America to hone my interest ability. That said, the meals on the ship were some of the best I have had in terms of taste, presentation and quality. Polo provided some to the best cooked meats with the Veal Oscar being a standout. However the prime rib was perfect. Toscana was also not your garlic and tomato Italian but provided excellent northern Italian fare and wines Speaking of wines, the ships wine list was somewhat short but filled with very good and reasonable wines. I was very surprised to see how little they were charging compared to on land top class restaurants. I noted that buying wine by the bottle was clearly better than by the glass. The Grand Dining room was great as they offered some great dishes like grilled scallops and an excellent Beef Wellington. Service was formal friendly and a delight to dine. The wine stewards were also great and their knowledge was impressive. The Terrace was not your typical buffet as you can get excellent grilled lobster and fish,At breakfast they offered daily exotic takes on eggs benedict which super creative. The staff could not do enough to please and I would ask them to assemble some different ideas Which they delighted in trying to figure out what I was up to. It was here on the terrace that we dined the first night and at sunset the captain rotated the ship several times so that all could take in sunset in the inland passage. Martinis bar. Great service in a really classy setting Bar tenders very good and eager to please... Frequently they would pour you a mini taste of several liquors at no charge. Even at happy hour they were happy people Reservations had 2 for each Polo and Toscana and requested more however it was not possible...It only takes me 1 time to figure out that no means no, and no matter how many times you ask the answer doesn't change.... even If I held my breath and stomped my feet in front of the mater d'. In the main dining room they don't take reservations but its no problem to get anything at any time with less than a few min wait. It was no problem to get a table for 8 for a group for my wife's birthday, The staff was always willing to help and make your evening a great experience. I did observe some who appeared to be wound a little to tight up set and exuding their self inflated opinions of themselves. But there are those folks all over.. Some never grow out of it...most do Fellow passengers: Here is where the cruise really makes it. Oceania draws a very well traveled, experienced and mannered group. People generally outgoing, friendly and fun to talk with. Trivia is a very fun experience as it draws some of the most interesting and delightful people you could ever hope to meet The ports: everyone was great, we had some sun some rain. and just a tiny bit of sea motion as the passage was protected. The Hubbard glacier was a knockout.. here a 400 ft high ice face 7 miles wide is present and you sail up to within a thousand yards...where we saw huge ice walls 300 ft tall by 400 ft wide... crash with thunder next to us... and we saw this happen 3 times..!!!! WOW Disembarking: was going to go fine but the port of San Francisco did their best to screw up Regattas arrival. Suffice to say we were tied up at 6:50 am but the port would not let anyone off till 8:15....... The poor general manager of Regatta was beside himself...it was his first time to San Fran-fiasco. Overall: The best cruise in 40 years, the food, the staff, the cabin, the ambiance, the fellow passengers were the bet best I have experienced at any time on any ship on any line. You may conclude I liked it... The only problems I saw were the result of people who brought on board attitude as their baggage. If you had problems with this cruise you might best look in the mirror as to their root.

Was I on the same ship???

Regatta Cruise Review by Hawaiidan

Hawaiidan’s Full Rating Summary
Get Oceania Regatta price drops

Inside
Cabin G 7043
for Alaska this is the best as it gets you out on deck to mingle and gives you nice dark restful sleep... They are the same size a veranda without the balcony... actually larger in some.
cases On the R ships its inside or penthouse as the best cabins
Deck 7 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins