Island Princess Cruise Review

Island Princess Cruise Review by BucketList57

• Sail Date: Aug 2015
  • Destination: the Eastern Mediterranean
  • Cabin Type: Balcony

My wife and I have been on four cruises prior to this one (three with Royal Caribbean and one with Princess). We chose this cruise on the Island Princess for the itinerary (Barcelona, Toulon, Florence, Rome, Naples, Mykonos, Istanbul, Kusadasi, Athens, and Venice). We wanted to get a feel for various parts of southern Europe. I have traveled extensively through Europe but my wife had never been. So, we took big/long excursions in each port except for Mykonos. The excursions were great. Everything was scripted and timed. We did not wait in any lines and we really did not experience any traffic delays. (Some folks said that was because we were traveling in August and all of the 'working' locals in each city were on their August 'holiday'). Anyway, each of the excursions were very good, especially with the use of the radio receivers so that you are not required to be right next to the guide.

Since we knew we were taking long excursions, and that we would be tired in the evenings, we really did not care about the amenities and shows on the ships - though everything seemed to be nice. The food was excellent and plentiful, so we were happy.

BucketList57's Full Rating Summary

Balcony
Cabin BD D233

Nice - standard - balcony cabin. No issues.

Uffizi Museum

Of course, too much to see in just a few hours - but that is how it will be on a cruise excursion for any museum.

View All 24 Uffizi Museum Reviews
Colosseum

The tour guide was excellent. Use the elevators that are available if you need them.

View All 193 Colosseum Reviews
St. Peter's Basilica

Not crowded. Unbelievably beautiful. I remembered how large it was from my visit 31 years ago, but I forgot how beautiful it was.

View All 131 St. Peter's Basilica Reviews
Mykonos

Take the bus provided for a small fee by the cruise line to the center of the town and enjoy all of the shops, restaurants/bars, and relax - you deserve it after all the previous excursions.

Blue Mosque

What an amazing city. Much more European and less middle eastern - than I was expecting.

View All 78 Blue Mosque Reviews
Bosphorus Cruise

We had a sit down lunch (with waiters serving you - not a buffet - nice) on a lovely ship as we cruised the Bosphorus channel. Amazing.

View All 32 Bosphorus Cruise Reviews
Grand Bazaar

Have fun - very crowded.

View All 63 Grand Bazaar Reviews
Istanbul

You must see this. Amazing that it was built in the 6th century AD.

Kusadasi

The Ephesus ruins are more amazing than Pompeii.

San Giorgio Church

I had not been their on my prior trips to Venice.

View All 3 San Giorgio Church Reviews
Barcelona

Fabulous city. Very clean. All of the crowds are around Las Ramblas. Other areas of the city are not crowded. The port and embarkation on the ship is nice and is run very efficiently.

BucketList57