3. Crown Princess
Pre cruise we decided to stay in Stuart, Florida at the Ramada Inn. Although this is not a five star hotel, we found that it suited our needs. The highlight of our stay here was a gentleman named Diego who served us in the breakfast buffet. Embarkation: Three words-What a mess! I have never seen anything like this. We were herded into a warehouse/hanger type facility. We were lucky. We could actually sit down. Some individuals had to stand or sit on the floor for one and half-hours. We were only told that the ship arrived late not that there was an outbreak of the norovirus on the previous cruise. I guess the crew had to do more sanitizing...Understandable, but no reason to lie about it in my view. Once we were cleared, the process was relatively quick. I will give credit where credit is due in this regard. As far as the "wow" factor upon seeing the outside of the ship, there wasn't any for me. I was more impressed with the Eurodam, Carnival Liberty, and the Independence of the Seas (at least from the exterior) when I saw them berthed next to us in St. Maarten. I know this is starting to sound like a negative review, but believe me there were many things that I did like about the Crown Princess. I loved being able to bring our carry on luggage directly to our rooms. On ships that we sailed on before, we had to wait until 1:00-1:30 to access our rooms. It was not fun trying to eat in the buffet with carry on luggage on other cruise lines. So, Princess gets an A+ for this. As far as our room was concerned, we had an interior room that was nicely appointed and always cleaned by Divinieto, our steward. He was such a wonderful person! The best steward that I have had so far. The only complaint I had with our room was the fact that the shower was the smallest that I have ever seen on any cruise ship so far. I know that they are small, but this one was even smaller ?. Oh well, at least the shower curtain did not "attack" me ?. I also liked the way that Princess handles the Muster Drill. Reporting to lounges just makes more sense to me rather than lining up on deck four to five rows deep. Layout of the ship and public rooms: The layout of the ship is totally confusing...probably due to the ship's size. My husband and I still had not figured it out by the end of the week. That was partially our problem as we are both directionally challenged to a point?. The public rooms were all nicely appointed and always very clean. The dEcor was very subdued compared to Carnival and Royal Caribbean. If I had to choose which of the three decors I liked the best, I would choose Royal Caribbean. And no, I am not a "gun ho" Royal Caribbean cruiser. I am a cruiser who likes to try different lines to see which one suits me the best at this point as we have only cruised five times. Oh, by the way, my husband just interrupted me to add that he felt that the public restrooms were not well marked and hard to find. Men's and Ladies' rooms were located in entirely different locations (as opposed to being in the same general vicinity). Frankly, I prefer to not use public restrooms on cruise ships if at all possible. Now that he has had his two cents worth, I will continue. Food: Generally good over all. My favorite place was the International Cafe versus the buffet for lunch(shrimp salad was to die for). The gelato is worth every penny (1.50). I never did try the Trident Grill (hamburgers/hotdogs). The actual buffet...well, what can I say...it is a buffet. Enough said. The layout here was rather strange too. The pizza was thin crust and so... so. The food in the dining room was good over all. Service was a problem due to another table demanding all courses be served to them all at once. It drove our servers crazy (and us too). After observing the players in all of this, I decided that our servers were not entirely at fault here. These people were totally obnoxious. We all celebrated when they missed a few nights in the dining room. We never saw the Maitre D' which disappointed my husband greatly. He felt that we were never greeted properly or even acknowledged for that matter. Lido: Pools were never overly crowded. Jacuzzis got more use. Crew here were not the best as far as serving drinks. After awhile, I felt that I was invisible. We went to the bar to get our drinks. Crew was good as far as making sure that the Lido was picked up and tables cleaned. Shows: We only attended one which was good ...Kimika and Rollin Jay Moore. We also saw a few minutes of the acrobatic show (deck five around the International Cafe) We caught the end of the act ? Darn. They were amazing!! Ports: Princess Cay, St Maarten, St Thomas, Grand Turk Of all the ports of call, we liked St Maarten the best. All stops were actually very nice. Our Captain: I can not end this review without mentioning our Captain Andy Proctor. He was the best that I have ever seen or met. He is a charming man. He would stop and chat with as many passengers as he could on Captain's Night. He actually mingled throughout the crowds on decks 5,6, and 7. We were not stuck in some theater where the captain said a few words and magically disappeared after introducing his officers, etc. which I found on other cruise lines. Disembarkation: The best that I have ever encountered. Kudos to Princess in this regard. Overall impressions: The bottom line here is that we had a good cruise, enjoyed the ports of call, but we are not convinced that Princess Cruise line is for us. We are thinking that maybe we feel this way because of the sheer size of the ship. Most of the ships we have sailed on were in the 80,000 to 90,000 grt range.

Crown Princess ...Beautiful but..probably not for us