Magellan Cruise Review

Norwegian Fjords

Magellan Cruise Review by Maidstone Granny

• Sail Date: Aug 2015
  • Destination: the Baltic Sea

After booking on the Magellan for the Norwegian Fjords trip I felt downhearted as I read the reviews, it wasn't nearly as bad as reported, although I do have to agree with some of the comments previously reported. I took along ear plugs (which I didn't use) as I had read that the cabins were noisy with engine noise and neighbours, I didn't hear either and we were in cabin 4052 just above the engine. It was one of the nicest cabins we have spent time in, the shower pressure was brilliant and we had plenty of coat hangers especially as I took a lot of my own having read previously that they were in short supply. There are no tea/coffee facilities in the cabin which everyone was complaining about, hopefully they will rectify this.

The food was ok although I have eaten better but it was very disappointing on the formal evenings to dress up and find that everybody else on your table was still dressed in casual, daytime clothing and made no effort whatsoever. The dress code doesn't seem to be upheld on this ship which is a little sad, if you don't want to dress for dinner the buffet is always available to you. The ship was very clean and very nice, especially the theatre. Unfortunately not much can be said for the shows performed in there. I found the standard of the shows bad, more like amateur productions performed in the local town hall, the company really needs to spend a little more money and hire performers who actually have talent.

On the whole it was a really nice cruise which exceeded my expectations, the fjords are beautiful. Having cruised with most lines, Cunard, P & O etc. I would rate this ship a 3 star and the prices you pay for cruising with CMV reflect this, so it is value for money if you are prepared to overlook the small inconveniences. Parking also leaves a lot to be desired with the car park a few miles away and having to bus into the terminal. Checking in was also a bit of a shambles, hopefully this will improve with time.

Maidstone Granny's Full Rating Summary

Cabin 6 4052

Very nice cabin with a picture window. No engine noise could be heard.

Flam Railway

Very nice excursion though very overpriced, it was double the price if you had booked the railway at the station and the only extra you got for the money was a cup of coffee and a waffle.

View All 212 Flam Railway Reviews