3. Sun Princess
This was my first cruise alone in 33 years. The Sun Princess is a lovely ship, a little dated, sure and the bed headboard and curtains in my cabin were well past replacement (and cleaning) date! The staff were not accommodating of a single woman - particularly in the Horizon Cafe and the Crooners Bar. Often I sat for the entire meal without any service, only to watch a couple come and sit beside me served immediately, drink Sir? Cultural differences perhaps? Anyway, Princess, if you want to attract Australian women on your cruises you had better do a lot of Cultural Awareness Training of your wait staff on the Sun Princess. (remember: I paid exactly DOUBLE for just ONE person - plus balcony) The Cabin Steward was a great guy who made my tip special, often putting 2 or three chocolates on my pillow and creating a Butterfly from my negligee. However, the standout staff member was my Room Service Steward, Christie from the Philippines. Always cheerful and understanding - interested in my days activities - just a wonderful human being. The fine dining restaurants had super service - lovely wait staff. One thing I will mention is the overcrowding in the tenders - it was very hot and Aussies are large people - we were forced to crowd into the tenders making it very unpleasant for all concerned. The extra scanning I received when getting back onboard kept 'desensitizing' my room tag and when hot and tired I had to keep going back to the Customer Service desk for a new tag, very frustrating till I worked out what it was!!! The gym could have had a few extra cycles, and a few less walking machines - after all you can walk around the deck. Sickness abounded: Despite a flu injection prior to departure, I picked up a nasty throat infection which ruined my Hawaiian ports visits. Then, one the way home to Sydney I developed bronchitis. I am still recovering from that cough which was so bad it dislodged my retina! It was a really Sick Ship. Owing to others coughing I avoided most of the shows in the Princess Theater, but from reports they were mostly quality acts. There are a lot of activities and no one could complain that there was nothing to do. I spent a lot of time on my balcony, enjoying the view, listening to my music and reading. The balcony had two reclining chairs and a small table - quite often I enjoyed a bottle of wine and dinner out there enjoying the views. There was no trouble using the laundry facilities, as I did not go near them, did all the washing in my cabin handbasin, more than adequate. There was plenty of hanging space and lots of hangers. Soap and towels were replaced when necessary and the bed linen was kept immaculate by Arnel.

First Time Cruiser

Sun Princess Cruise Review by Marcothepolopony

• Sail Date: July 2015
  • Destination: Hawaii
  • Cabin Type: Balcony
This was my first cruise alone in 33 years.

(remember: I paid exactly DOUBLE for just ONE person - plus balcony)

Marcothepolopony’s Full Rating Summary
Get Sun Princess price drops

Balcony
Cabin BC C233
Bed head and curtains need replacing. (and/or cleaning)
Huge flat screen TV. Insufficient 'Australian' power outlets.
Adequate comfortable seating for one person.
Carpet clean and bedding just divine!
Pillows were perfect and the temperature control was working very well, extremely comfortable room.
Riviera Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins