3. AmaReina (APT)
The first 8 days were changed to the AmaVenita because of low water levels around Nurenburg...and changed to the Ama Reina for the last half of the trip....no problem there. Day one...we entered our cabin 204, Catagory T+ which gave us an outdoor balcony plus a French Balcony. Very nice, except that another ship was moored right along side us. so - no view except of a neighbouring cabin about 10cm from our balcony. This was to happen frequently during the trip, sometimes with ships moored on both sides of us for hours. When you consider that we paid $22,000 for the 15 days (airfares extra) - anyway -I decided we were quite often a 5star club sandwich. We were told by staff members that this was only going to get worse as more ships enter the tourist market in river cruising in Europe! O.k day nine - first morning on the AmaReina, we are still sleeping, it is 6.45am and in walked the cleaners to clean our room!!!! I did complain and was told that they got the wrong room - not acceptable , by my standards. We had also been led to believe, from the T.V commercials, brochures etc that most days we would be able to walk into towns/villages in our leasure time - this does not happen....mostly we were moored too far from towns, even for tours etc we were taken by bus, sometimes up to two hours, to get to the advertised daily excursion. Budapest was a very welcome exception - we were actually moored very close to town. Meals were plentiful, and very good. BUT, you did need to eat on call, no time to relax -because the days events were so over organized, be back at a certain time, lunch is now! ship is sailing now! Nurenburg was advertised that we could VISIT the Nazi War Courts - not so - we had this building pointed out to us as we went passed on the bus!! Just one of many advertised mis-informations in the brochures. Back to day one - arriving at Amsterdam airport we were met by an APT driver, however he picked up 2 others as well as us so we did not get the promised porterage - and that airport is huge.... The good points...well, if we had not done the trip we would not know that organized, regulated holidays are not for us. We will stick to our usual fly/drive holidays in Europe Entertainment on board was very good. Staff were so attentive that is became quite difficult to say 'good morning' a few dozen times. There was a 'gentle walk' available with most shore excursions - we took advantage of them..... Oh, Well, now I wonder if you will print this. I also wonder at only good reviews, there were many people on board with similar complaints.......

Expectations too high?

AmaReina (APT) Cruise Review by Terri Brown

Entertainment on board was very good.

Terri Brown’s Full Rating Summary
Get AmaReina (APT) price drops

cabin 204 on the Ama Venita was excellent! cabin 204 on the Ama Reina was identical in physical appearance BUT my bed (we had twin beds on both) was rock hard so I slept on top of the doona to try for some comfort.
I had read a review about this cabin back in March, that was written back in Dec 2014 on Cruise Report Smooth Sailing and I quote "proThe iMac/television in our stateroom would not hold its position when the screen was adjusted; it would just flop forward, making it nearly impossible to see from the bed. We mentioned this to the Hotel Manager who said he would have someone come to check on it. They never showed up. We ended up stuffing a bath towel under the screen to hold it up and this "prop" remained there the entire cruise.

" The bathroom door has a retracting mechanism that squeaks like your Grandma's backporch screen door every time it is opened. This can be very annoying when one person gets up to use the bathroom in the middle of the night."

Well, back to me......the T.V was fixed. BUT not the bathroom door - so, I also reported it to the cruise director....he immediately had the ship engineer disable it...no more squeak!
  AmaReina (APT) Deck Plans