• Cheers to 25 years: Celebrate with Us!
  • Find a Cruise
  • Deals
  • Excursions

Queen Victoria Review

Editor Rating
28 Awards

Lovely ship and crew but awful transfer!

Review for Queen Victoria to the Mediterranean
MIck Frayne
6-10 Cruises • Age 70s

Sail Date: Aug 2015
Cabin: Standard Inside

My wife, daughter and I had a fly cruise for the second time this year. Our first was at Easter with P&O, ending at Venice. This time we started at Venice with Cunard aboard Queen Victoria. The ship is very elegant and the crew members were most helpful. I suppose the fact that it appeals to an older clientele would account for the activities (most how to keep body and soul together) and the music (for those who had given up the struggle). I am 68 but there didn't seem much for the baby boomers! P&O can be a bit Butlins at time but at least there is a choice to take or leave it. The deck of Queen Victoria was eerily quiet and desolate in the evenings. The big difference, which is more than a matter of personal taste, was the transfer arrangements. The P&O flight was a charter from Gatwick and after handing over the cases at the check in, we next saw them outside of our cabins - job done! What a lovely relaxing way to start a holiday.

Cunard provided a BA charter (much better aircraft) but missed the opportunity to provide a trouble free transfer! The cases had to be claimed at the Venice carousel, which is never a happy experience, but watching the belt go around for seventy five minutes was a nightmare. I assume the elderly passengers were deciding to wait until the belt cleared. Guess what! If you do not take your case, it never clears because the sensor will not introduce any more cases. I saw one case go around twenty six times! Once we claimed them successfully we had to leave them again just a few steps further on. That was a pointless and stressful exercise, which clearly could have been avoided. We did wonder if we would ever get to see Venice, but we did just about manage it. Cunard - you know we have a choice and you have a great deal to offer, so please make the transfer a smooth and trouble free experience! I suspect we will think twice in future unless the embarkation port is Southampton.

Standard Inside

Cabin IA

Very spacious and well presented. A bit of ambient noise but generally we were well placed.

1 Helpful Vote