3. Star Flyer
A cruise on a sailing cruise ship sounds like unbelievable heaven. Sailing on the Mediterranean, to all the beautiful ports on the French Riviera, sounds wonderful right? Boy was I wrong. First off we got rooms, side by side on the top. Our cabins were the top of the choices we could have. They were very cute and roomy. I went with my 2 daughters. Rather than going on and on about the trip in detail, Ill just write what the disappointments were. 1-The food. It was poor. More like cafeteria food. The omelet bar in the morning was the highlight of all meals. I wasn't the only one who thought this. I had many conversations with at least 15 passengers at tables that agreed. 2- The staff. All except one guy (His name was Michal) were far below average. When I asked a question about the name of a port or how long we were there..it was a shrug, and a simple " I don't know" he was uninterested in me or my question. I was a bother to him just by asking. 2- If I tried to ask a question about how something was cooked, no one had any idea about any of the food. When I pointed out that a vegetarian meal was NOT a vegetarian meal and was flagged as so, because it had crab in it, the food manager replied with a snotty remark " Oh are you going to point out every screw that's not right on the ship?" The others at the table couldn't believe how rude he was. 3- The cruise director was always MIA. She was never able to be found, when we wanted to ask any questions. 4- In the brochure it stated water sports included. But when we got our room fliers delivered, it stated that there was No jet skiing, No water skiing, and there was only 1 Stand up paddle board, and 1 Kayak offered. So we had to wait and take turns. There was only 2 guys dealing with all the water sports and bringing things back and forth from the ship. I believe, they were completely understaffed! 5-No Wifi offered. Period. You have to pay extra. 6- The pictures of my higher priced room, showed a lovely marble bathroom with a Jacuzzi tub. I envisioned taking a Jacuzzi in the evening after a long day at the ports. But much to my surprise, the Jacuzzi didn't work and barely had bubbles coming out. In fact the room needed a face lift badly. Everything seemed old and in need of some kind of repair. 7-Staff, as I stated earlier, there was only one guy that was kind, and nice and helpful. His name was Michal. The massage therapist was also wonderful, well trained and very sweet and professional. That's about it. No one was ever around to help. To get towels, to pick up dishes left by the pool. There was no cocktail waitress to help, and dishes were left sometimes all night long. The pool area was left a mess and at one point, I went around and picked up dirty wet towels and put them into the basket. This was about 7pm. I had glasses and dishes under my chair that were left for over 8 hours. 8- There were no table and chairs set up to sit outside. So if you wanted to sit out and look at the water and have a drink, good luck. No place to sit. 9-There was a bridge tournie. Fun right? Until we all showed up to play and there were no cards!! It seems that no one was prepared at all. If you have a game planned, and you know its coming up, go buy some cards at the next port. 10- At one port, I believe it was Corsica, they wouldn't let the transport boat drop off. So we were in the boat for an hour, roaming around trying to find a place they would allow us to be dropped off. Why wasn't this discussed with them way prior to us landing at that port? Very maddening!! 11- Water bottles would have been a nice touch each day, perhaps offered by staff when the water transport picked us up or dropped us off. It was extremely hot and we were very thirsty. 12- Music. What can I say. They have an organ player. He was ok, but I felt like I was in a bad wedding movie. They should perhaps offer a DJ at night to dance to or listen to? Just an idea. By the pool as well. 13- Towels. Never enough, and always seemed to be a fight for chairs and seats. I saw two angry discussions about who's towel was who's, and someone took someone else's chair. There should be more then enough to go around. But the clean towel ben was always empty. When I went to look for someone to ask for towels, it took a long time just to find someone to bring some! To be totally fair, the ports were lovely. Sailing in the middle of the ocean was wonderful. Waking up to the warm sun and watching a sunrise from the front of the ship, while sipping my coffee, before anyone else was awake yet, was beautiful. My cabin steward was very good, the room was cleaned daily and he made a few towel animals that were left. The chocolates and treat tray was also a plus for my high end room. It was filled daily with new treats. There were 2 channels of music in the room. That was nice, would be nice if there were maybe 1 or 2 more channels. All in all...we made the best of the trip. We laughed about all the mishaps and decided to write a log of all things that we felt could improve. This is the list I wrote in our travel journal. Will I cruised with the Clippers again? No way. Unless I'm given a free cruise, on a new , and improved sip...then I might.

Star Flyer cruise; not what I expected after reading the brochure.

Star Flyer Cruise Review by Maranee

5-No Wifi offered. Period. You have to pay extra.

Maranee’s Full Rating Summary
Get Star Clippers Star Flyer price drops

Cabin 532, 533
Needed a face lift. The Jacuzzi tub didn't work.
  Star Flyer Deck Plans