3. Celebrity Constellation
Went on Celebrity's "Connie" to Dubrovnik, Ephesus, Mykonos, etc. expecting a lot. Although I've been on 12 cruises, this is the first for Celebrity; I'd been told that this was the upscale Royal Caribbean and really the only line better was Crystal. Au Contraire. Perhaps if expectations hadn't been so high I would have enjoyed the cruise a lot more. Perhaps. So what was good first? The itinerary was perfect for me and a Venice departure is magical. The specialty restaurants, both Ocean Liner and the Italian one were simply great and in fact got close to if not even exceeded Crystal level food. The cabin, without a deck was fine and so was the cabin service. The entertainment and cruise director were also a cut above virtually any other line I've been on (which include besides Crystal, Cunard, Princess, Holland America, Norwegian, Paul Gauguin, Avalon, Chandris, RC.) The one excursion I went on was fine. So why then only a middling, at best, rating? Because: 1) nickel and dime-ing--every time you turn around a new charge, like the accountants have gone crazy. Perish if a venue is to close at 10:00 if you show up at 10:01. This attitude carries over to staff who reflect what management considers most important. If you found coffee there might not be cream or sugar nearby. Staff directed you to the other end of the ship. Virtually all of the lines mentioned above had a happier, more fun and service oriented staff than this. Yogurt in the morning costing over $5?? $5 for a smallish bottle of water? I don't think so. 2) Celebrity spent a huge amount on upgrading the spa area on this ship--and then couldn't make it work. No one would pay the $169 upgrade to stay in the area and they sheepishly refunded it when I thought I might. 3) Failed services. They touted giving away $500 of spa services--but didn't do it. They charged $50 for 3 games of bingo and supposedly a free suite upgrade as a prize -- but the same person won all 3 games. They also charged a very high $150 for what sounded like an interesting behind the scenes tour, then cancelled it when not enough people signed and discouraged everyone from signing up. What about those who wanted to go? 4) This is already an expensive line--but the package, mainly drink upgrades were ridiculously costly, -- I guess unless you got them free. 5) They had an interesting looking wine bar area...but none of the wine machines would work. 6) And the very worst? The service and food in the main dining room were, at best, marginally edible and at worst, not really. In a very similar space, Norwegian Epic had good, festive and happy food and a small orchestra playing with dancing. Celebrity had none of this and even lost my reservation for what table I should have been at. Room service meals were also forgettable. Why should this be when there are 130 chefs and a huge kitchen? I think the accountants made the purchase of lower grade product initially. I therefore spent 4 of 7 nights in the upgrade (and up cost) restaurants. One should just build that into the planned costs. Will I try them again? Maybe on a newer ship; I'm still intrigued by the grass of which this ship had none, and there are too many good reviews out there, but I suspect most of the problems above are line related, not due to this particular ship not fitting well into the current owner's plans.

Such swings never expected

petego4it2’s Full Rating Summary
Get Celebrity Constellation price drops

Ocean View 4
Cabin 04 706
Cabin was fine and functioned well. There was some vibration, unusual at the very front of the ship. Seas were calm so we had no issues. Porthole is large and I think the room was larger because we had no balcony.
Deck 9 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins