3. Island Escape
Family of 5 with 3 teenage boys age 14,16,18 First time on a cruise. I really don't know where to start, On booking this cruise we were told that the ship was old but still in lovely condition, I went into Thomson as I had read a few reviews and was getting a little worried, but was reassured that the ship was ported over winter and made like new, so it would be fine and not to worry. I was also told that internet was available to purchase on board (it was, but it never worked not for the whole two weeks) and we tried every day. My case managed to go missing between the coach and ship, it turned up later, not a great start. Then as I made our way to the cabin I was getting a little concerned. The ship is in a bad way, things hanging off, dents in doors and walls and things broken. Our cabins were no better, the one had a dent in the door which looked like it had been punched, inside, broken draws, dents and marks all over the wall, broken light switch's (well the ones that worked) rubbish TV you could not see anything out of the window as it always had condensation on it and paint drips all over it. The room was really bad, not even 2 star standard. Next day we were at sea all day so had no choice but to check out the ship. Pool is so small and jam packed, I walked around the decks for two hours trying to get a sun bed with no luck. Everywhere I looked I could just see things that needed fixing. I was getting really upset by the end of the first day at sea, the boys were moaning as they could not connect to the wifi, Teens club did not start until 10pm and there was just noting for them to do. This is not a holiday for Teens, maybe for younger kids under 10 or for older people. Music is The Shadows and stuff from the 60s and not the good stuff. I spoke to guest relations manager, I explained that I was really upset and did not feel this was what we had booked. She never once apologised and said if I wasn't happy I could pay for our own flights home when we ported in Palma on the following Tuesday. I was so shocked no sorry, no offer of a better room or to try to get us a hotel for the second week not even a free meal in the al carte restaurant. When I said I would like to speak to someone from Thomson she said they did not have a Thomson rep on board and gave me a number I could use to call which was just the regular number. I Emailed Thomson next day when we got on land to tell them of my issues and the email I got back was no better then the service received on board. They said staff on board had tried to help and where sorry I was not happy. I was really confused as no one had done anything to try and help us. The only good thing about this holiday was getting off the ship, the food was ok and our cabin steward was lovely, I got the expression that as the ship is ending this year no one cares anymore so are not bothered about helping you have a good holiday. The hall ways always smelt of sick, the ship was really rocky some nights, we had to come back to the ship to early most days so you don't get time to have a good look around we had to be back at the ship on the one day at 3pm! My son got sick on the second day with a sore throat, he was in a lot of pain and running a temp, so we took him down to see the ships doctor. He did not even examine his throat until I asked him if he was going to look, and then he said he may have angina, Now most people on the ship were over 50 and may have angina, but I am pretty sure he had tonsillitis. Over all this was the worst holiday we have ever experienced.

Cruise from Hell

Island Escape Cruise Review by LadyCb

• Sail Date: August 2015
  • Destination: Mediterranean
  • Cabin Type: Oceanview
Family of 5 with 3 teenage boys age 14,16,18

First time on a cruise.

Over all this was the worst holiday we have ever experienced.
LadyCb’s Full Rating Summary