3. Caribbean Princess
The first time we sailed with Princess was back in 2000. It was our first cruise and we were hooked. Although we have sailed on a number of lines in the meantime this was only the second time it has been with Princess. We were travelling with our 13 year old son who is autistic and also has a lactose intolerance. He cannot always cope with large crowds or noisy rooms so we booked a min-suite so he had a bit more space where he could chill if he needed it. We arrived at the port at about 11am and were on board by 11.30am. Special Assistance arranged for us to board early so our son would be more comfortable. Our room was not quite ready so we left our carry ons and went to explore the ship. We had read a few reviews that had said the ship was showing wear and tear. It was but not to the extend that it had any effect on our holiday. I think if I had not read the previous reviews I would not have spotted a lot of the wear. We had traditional dining at 6pm and our waiter and head waiter were wonderful. Hector was our Head Waiter and he came to see us every evening so my son could pick from the next night's menu so they could prepare his food without lactose. Joel, our waiter wS great with my son and soon made him feel comfortable in the dining room. I do not if they were told he is autistic but they certainly worked with him and really added to his enjoyment. They are both lovely, kind men. At the end of the cruise my son insisted on filling his own commendations cards to make sure he told those that needed to know how good they had been. The food in the MDR was great. There was only 1 night when it did not quite hit the spot and that was a prime rib that was not quite cooked right. Apart from that the food was excellent. We purchased a coffee card which turned out to be a good thing for us. My husband likes a capuccino and because we had the coffee card I could have tea or normal coffee free. I always found the staff there friendly. There was one Barister who could make some lovely patterns on the capuccino. The cakes and sandwiches from the International Cafe never failed to please. The Horizon Court always had a varied selection. We had breakfast there a few times and I would get an omelette made which was always good. They had English bacon and sausages as well as the American versions. My son loved the burgers and pizzas on the pool deck. Overall I could not fault the food. We did go to the theatre each evening. They had a few comedians who were quite good although I did feel a hit sorry for the third one as he ended up repeating jokes the other 2 had told. I think they had had to clean up their acts and I think this showed at times. The guests singers were great and Ben Mills was excellent. He was on X factor some years ago. We normally had dinner, went to the theatre and then our son would want to go for a swim. He cannot cope when the pool is busy but by about 8.30pm it was almost empty on the pool deck so we would go up then and let him swim. I have read a review today stating that the children were not supervised - well mine always was. One pool was closed at 5.30 to allow for the movies under the stars so he always went in the other pool. I know there were a lot of youngsters on board but we never saw any problems in or around the pool at that time of day and I would not have thought they would have heard anything from the movies under the stars bit. We usually got him out of the pool at about 9.30 and once he was changed we would head to the International Cafe for a hot chocolate and some chocolate chip cookies. My son loved this. We would then go back to the cabin and watch The Love Boat (he also loved that). The only issue we had on the whole cruise was with one of the art auctioneers. He was rude to some of the crew whilst conducting an auction which I thought was unprofessional and uncalled for. He had a comment over the microphone for all the audience to hear which I thought should have been said in private away from the audience. I left at that point and did not attend another auction. The Captain, Nick Nash, was informative and assuming. I am not sure what the thing about his Brietling Watch was but he did mention it a few times. It was also nice to see him and his officers throughout the ship and also nice that they took time to chat with passengers. We did not get off at a lot of the ports, our son does not cope well and we have been to a few previously. Disembarkation was handled really well. We were a little late getting off but it was easy to find our cases which were all together, luck or judgment I am not quite sure. All in all a really enjoyable 2 weeks. We were well looked after by all we came into contact with and I can honestly every member of ships staff (I do not include the art auctioneer in that) seemed to be more than happy to help and always made sure we had what we needed or asked for. We would not hesitate to book with Princess again.

A Wonderful 2 Weeks

Caribbean Princess Cruise Review by Mings

• Sail Date: July 2015
  • Destination: Europe
  • Cabin Type: Mini-Suite with Balcony

My son loved the burgers and pizzas on the pool deck.

Overall I could not fault the food.

Mings’s Full Rating Summary
Get Caribbean Princess price drops

Mini-Suite with Balcony
Cabin MD D503
A Great size room for the 3 of us. Plenty of storage space and a nice sized bathroom with a bath. The balcony was open so it meant when the pool deck was crowded on sea days we could sit out and enjoy the sun in peace and quite. The balcony is overlooked but that did not bother use. It was lovely sitting out there on an evening and watching the sunset.
Our cabin steward was like a ninja, we knew he had been in but we hardly ever saw him. He did a great job.
Just one little point to note. My 13 year old is 5'10 and he was too long for the sofa bed. He managed by sleeping diagonally but I would guess anyone taller than him may have problems. The bed itself was lovely and comfortable.
Dolphin Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins