3. Liberty of the Seas
I took the Royal Caribbean ship, Liberty of the Seas, from Bayonne, New Jersey, to Bermuda on August 8th, 2015. I travel solo and this was my first cruise so I was really excited when I first saw the ship in port in NJ. It was H-U-G-E and beautiful!!! I am a seasoned teacher not afraid to try new things and meet new people. I took Amtrak into NYC from CT and that was lovely. I am partially disabled, walking with a cane, and Amtrak took good care of me at Penn Station to help get me and my big suitcase up to the main station platform. My daughter and son-in-law met me at the station so we could enjoy the day together in the city. The next morning we rented a zip car and drove to the ship. Directions to the ship were easy to follow. The only surprise was the $14 toll for the tunnel into NJ. We pulled right up to the ship's terminal and unloaded my suitcase with the help of a porter that we tipped. He directed that they drive me up to the entrance door so I could get help with embarkation. I had called RCCL weeks earlier to request assistance with embarkation and debarkation of the ship. They had a wheelchair for me and they took me right up in front of a totally separate line where I only to to wait for a couple of minutes before they checked m That was a major perk in being disabled, no waiting in very long lines like everyone else had to. Cool! The porter rolled me all the long way up into the ship which was so exciting!!! I tipped him well. I had him bring me right to the Windjammer so I could start relaxing and get some lunch. It was busy but not too crowded further in to Windjammer's. The food was nice, many choices. Since it was only 1pm when I finished I walked around the ship a little bit. AMAZING! I felt like I was in a hotel or a shopping mall, not on a ship. They announced that rooms were open so I hustled myself to my stateroom. As I walked in I saw clear thru the balcony window. Awesome!!! I couldn't believe it! There she was, the new World Trade Tower, right there in front of me, towering away up into the sky. What a unique view of NYC. The stateroom was sweet, perfect in size. The drapery and carpet were a little dated in style but clean and neat. I loved the good lighting in the room, especially over the desk/vanity area where I could do my make-up. The TV worked well with limited channels of course, and no news stations, which to me was a good thing to help me relax while on vacation. The bathroom was small but comfortable. I enjoyed the little tubular shower stall. I had no trouble standing in it, without my cane for balance, because it was small. I moved some things over from the little frig so I could put my water bottle and bottle of wine that I brought in (you can bring two per stateroom). There was one double wall outlet on the desk. Just enough for me and my alarm clock and curling iron. I enjoyed the couch while watching TV and had my cabin steward bring me an extra blanket to keep on the couch for when I felt chilled. I had also splurged and ordered a cute floral bouquet for the room. That was in the room when I arrived. The chocolate covered strawberries were not there at arrival, a disappointment. When I first met my cabin steward I gave him a $20 extra tip. I left him a note the first morning about leaving all towels as they are unless I place them on the floor, to leave the balcony furniture set-up as I like it and to keep my ice bucket filled. He was always very gracious to me. I am so glad I splurged on a balcony room and will never get anything else. I loved having the fresh air and light come into the room. Another great feature of my room was that it was right at the port side elevators, PERFECT!!!!!! location all around. Less rocking too. I brought one larger suitcase with enough clothes to change into if I wanted to for dinner, which I did most nights, just because it was fun to do..... I chuckled at the critters towel sculptures that Junior, my cabin steward, left for me, a very sweet touch. It was exciting watching the ship leave port and head out to sea. I thought of how my grandmother Tilly once arrived here into NY over a hundred years ago when she was 16 and alone, and here I was alone heading outwards from NY just to have fun on a ship, pretty inspiring to think on the significance of the legacy she left me. Going under the giant bridge was en event and everyone cheered when we made it. The ship blasted it horns too making it all very dramatic. I had made all of my "My Way Dining" options on-line but called and made a reservation for the last night of the cruise in "Choppes", which turned out to be a good move. I didn't mind sitting alone most times but also enjoyed sitting with new people. I may try regular scheduled dining times for me next cruise so that I always sit with the same people and get to know them better. I never felt lonely cruising solo because there was always something to do. I love the arts and had fun at two different art auctions. They auctioned off really good quality prints of famous and not so famous art works. Do not think that these are the real thing, the real painting or print/etching, they are good copies on good paper, nice framing choices too. I actually bought a large framed print to hang up over my bed at home. They ship it for a really reasonable fee. One of the gallery clerks was extremely knowledgeable about art and artists, impressive. I am an art teacher so I already know a lot about art but I learned even more from her. Oh, I also won a bottle of sparkling wine at one of the art raffles during the auction. I cannot understand how anyone can do karaoke when they cannot sing but it sure was fun watching them, LOL! I tried an evening of bingo but was disappointed that a teenager won the free cruise and then another teenager won hundreds of dollars. I don't understand why they allow underage children to participate like that, or maybe they were 18? It was tough to find an empty chaise to sit out on by the pools and tricky for me to actually sit in on trying to maneuver in between the tight set-up of the chairs, with a cane. I felt awkward here and didn't try it again. Although I wasn't into it they had a fun parade for kids with Universal movie characters one night. Nice touch for families. Plenty of happy music playing in different venues. My favorite spot to sip a drink, people watch, scenery watch was up on the top deck 14 at "Oliver & Twists". Lovely spot, bright and cheery. That's where I perched myself the night we left Bermuda as the ship did a tight 90 degree turn out of port. I didn't discover this spot until the day before but this is my favorite place to sit back and relax on the ship. I visited the spa three times. The first night I had a gel pedicure. The night in Bermuda I took advantage of a discount on a massage by the best masseuse ever, Bronka. I've had lots of massages but she is the best. I also had a facial the last day as a final treat for myself. I felt like I had gone away to a spa retreat for a few days, decadent. I am not a gambler but did try a slot machine for the first time ever. I went in with 4 dollars and left with 5, not bad. It was a penny machine, just enough for my wild ways. I did get seasick twice, on each leg of the sea journey. The seas were rough. I did take motion sickness medicine and wear seabands called "Queazy Beads" but none of that helped. The ginger ale that my assistant waiter brought over to me did help a little the second time around. Food was good, not great, good. I had three dinners in the Main Dining room and several breakfast there too and found the food kind of bland, sorry to say. My waiter was really slow with me, not sure why, but I had to wait longer than other folks. My assistant waiter was a dream, always attentive, sweet, helpful. Windjammers, as a buffet, was okay too. I was often stopped and asked by staff if I wanted help carrying my plate, which I gladly accepted. I would have loved some fresh grapefruit at breakfast and nice fresh eggs. All tasted a bit cafeteria, which is good, not bad. I tried some of the food at Sorrentos a couple of times. It filled me up but was just ok. I really enjoyed "Choppes" my last night as I watched the sun set below the sea. The food was really tasty and fresh and it was expensive, for sure. But I had two appetizers and two salads with the entree and two desserts. luckily the portions weren't ridiculous or I wouldn't have had ordered so much. That was extravagant. The entertainment shows were really good on board. I saw the ice show, which was beautiful and "Saturday Night Fever" which was just like a Broadway show. I didn't do any of the shore excursions, most were too physical for me or expensive or uninteresting, or I had done before in other places. I went off on my own and took the shuttle mini van for $7 (plus $3 tip) to Horseshoe Bay beach. I especially enjoyed the winding ride to the beach past the houses, schools, towns, shorelines. The beach chair was $11 with 5 back on return. They weren't renting out umbrellas because it was too windy, which I didn't agree with, so I placed my chair by the shade in the rocks to get out of the hot sun. Crowded beautiful beach. Did not look pink at all but a creamy color. Next day I took the ferry ($4.50 cash each way) to St. Georges. It was a sweet cobble-stoned, historical town to wander thru. I stopped at the local grocer and got some fresh fruit to munch on as I walked around. If I had had more time I would have rented a cab and taken a ride out of town. I met a local watercolor artist when I stopped in the post office to mail some post cards. She told me how expensive it was to import art supplies onto the island, among other things. I later saw her beautiful, little, watercolor paintings in the shop next door, very, very nice work. I love meeting people from places I visit, best parts of any trip I take. It was anti-climatic heading back into the NJ harbor. I did not leave my suitcase outside my door for them to pack out. I had the porter take it with us when they wheeled me off the ship. All I had to do was wheel it down to deck 4 to wait for the wheelchair to arrive and I was off the ship by 8:30am, just in time to meet my driver from the car service that would bring me to Penn Station for $50 plus toll and tip.

Cozy and very comfortable cruise to Bermuda, Liberty of the Seas, room#8642.

Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review by Mollyolly

• Sail Date: August 2015
  • Destination: Bermuda

Mollyolly’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Liberty of the Seas price drops

BTW: Being a solo traveler I loved all of the trip, never feeling left out, actually grateful that I didn't have to be in any large group of people unless I wanted to be. I also think my cabin would have been fine for two people too. Cozy and comfortable.
  Liberty of the Seas Deck Plans