3. Star Legend
This was our sixth Windstar cruise and our first on the Star Legend. I really wanted to submit a glowing review as I have in the past; unfortunately, this cruise was not quite up to the Windstar standards we have come to expect. Embarkation was easy and smooth; however, for the first time in all our cruises we were not greeted by any ship's officers (usually the Captain). This "invisibility" of officers continued throughout the cruise. We have always been amazed in the past with them wandering the ship and getting to know them - not so on this cruise. The renovations of the Legend were very nicely done. All the public areas were comfortable and clean. As time goes by, I’m sure the ship will only get better. The crew were out (weather permitting) cleaning, varnishing, etc. every day. Our suite was great - the bathroom could use a little more attention, nothing bad just looking a little worn. There were two different duos on board performing and they were both excellent. What was strange was there never seemed to be more than four or five couples enjoying the entertainment in the evenings after dinner. Breakfast and lunch were served in the Amphora (except for our last day) due to unpredictable weather. They were buffet-style with an additional menu listing daily specials. Here we encountered a minor peeve - they continually served our Eggs Benedict with solid yolks even after we reported it to the chef. Only once during the entire cruise were the yolks properly done. I know this is a minor thing; however, it is also something that should not have happened to begin with and should have been easily corrected and was not. The evening meals were exceptional as always. Service was not up to par with it taking up to three hours for our meal until we found one server, Esther, who was efficient. We stuck with her for the remainder of the cruise. Not sure exactly what the problem was – training, lack of staff, or the crew not “jelling” yet. Also, found the wine steward service lacking - sometimes difficult to get the wine list. More than once he would come by a table, take an order and then completely ignore other couples seated at the same table. We loved the itinerary and we enjoyed wonderful weather. With the exception of a few showers one day, we experienced “Camelot” weather where it only rained after sundown. We took two ship tours and they were both excellent. In Invergordon, we had rented a car for the day and were so tired that we did not participate in the Fields of Culloden private event but those who did said it was great. All other touring we did was privately arranged. The tendering was another issue. I liked the actual tenders used, but the tender crews needed additional training – it bordered on unsafe when we were in rough waters. We were assured that this matter would be addressed and, hopefully, it will. Overall, this was not a bad cruise – just not a great cruise. I know Windstar is experiencing some growing pains with doubling their capacity in one year. I feel confident that as time goes by, they will appropriately address the various issues and deliver a great cruise experience.

Gaelic Explorers on the Star Legend

Star Legend Cruise Review by stcruise

stcruise’s Full Rating Summary
Get Windstar Star Legend price drops

Ocean View Suite
Cabin S 110
The suite was very nicely renovated. Bed comfortable with lovely linens. Nice, new furniture in the sitting area. The bathroom was clean although looking a little worn. No problems with noise.
Deck 4 Suite Cabins