Statendam Cruise Review

Wonderful trip; eager to take another in two years.

Statendam Cruise Review by ImmaWriter

• Sail Date: Jul 2015
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Large Ocean-View Stateroom with Porthole

Although there were a few glitches in this trip, (smoke in an elevator right after embarkment and an oil sheen on the water that prevented us from cruising Glacier National Park) all in all, the staff and the care we received was excellent.

To compensate for the change in plans (we went to Seward for ship inspection instead of Anchorage) each passenger was given $250 in shipboard money. My mother and I used part of it to take a bus trip to Anchorage since I was meeting a longtime friend there. The road between Seward and Anchorage was spectacular. (A moose and mountain sheep were spotted and the driver hilarious)

The room we had was ample (we were in the cheap 'rowing section'), and the care perfect. We couldn't have asked for more.

Thank you again, Holland America Cruise Lines for making this a memorable trip.

ImmaWriter's Full Rating Summary

Large Ocean-View Stateroom with Porthole
Cabin H 715

We upgraded to a cabin with two portholes and were delighted with the natural light the room offered.

Seattle

This part is always the most nerve wracking for me... Just making sure I get ON the ship causes me to sweat bullets. Once we walk past the x-ray machines and step onto the ramp leading to the ship, all that tension fades away. It really helped having the room available as soon as we boarded. Nice...

Ketchikan

One of my favorite towns. (Especially since I found the Husband's Trail.) The weather was wonderful, and as always the walk to Dolly's is well worth the venture. I love looking for migrating salmon in Ship Creek.

Juneau

Juneau is a bit too big for me, although I have a favorite tavern I love to stop by. (The Triangle. I prefer it over the Red Dog Saloon, since it's far more like the 'real' Alaska.) I mostly walk the streets and peek into shops... but, to be totally honest, I prefer the shops of locals to the hustle and bustle of the cruise ship stores. (I hate the jewelry ones, sorry...)

Icy Strait

I have been here before and PREFER this stop over Glacier Bay National Park. Unfortunately, the itinerary was changed a few days before we were to leave and I was terribly disappointed that we weren't going to Hoonah, but to the park instead. But, as it turned out, we did neither, as an oil sheen was spotted on the water. After a few hours of indecision, we then went on to Seward instead of Anchorage to get checked out. (another disappointment, as I was going to meet a longtime friend in Anchorage that I haven't seen in fifty years)

Motorcoach Tour

Actually, to compensate for our inconvenience, each passenger was given $250 shipboard credit and I quickly booked a motor coach tour from Seward to Anchorage! I was able to meet my friend after all, THANK YOU, Holland America!

View All 5 Motorcoach Tour Reviews
Homer

I loved Homer... Very quaint, and a mecca for fishermen. I had a lot of fun going through the shops, mostly run and owned by locals.

Sitka

Now, Sitka... beautiful. Stunning... wonderful walking town. I totally enjoyed our time there, even though it included tendering, which I sort of enjoy for the novelty of it.

Victoria

Victoria is always stunning, and since we're so close to home, I can see our Olympic Mountains across the straight which makes me happy... and sad, because I know the trip is coming to an end.

Victoria is so clean and the walk along the waterfront so refreshing. The water taxis crack me up and the horse drawn carriages a delight. Always a great visit with our Canadian neighbors.

ImmaWriter