Island Princess Cruise Review

Island Princess Cruise Review by Geoffscouse

• Sail Date: Jul 2015
  • Destination: the Eastern Mediterranean
  • Cabin Type: Balcony

My wife and I (both over 70) where very pleasantly surprised at the size of the balcony cabin on C deck; being first timers we were a little apprehensive after reading various reports. We found the cabin to be well planned, with plenty of room to unpack completely, and an out of sight storage area for our suitcases. The balcony was private and a secluded with two chairs and a small table. Ideal for sitting a watching the sea and trying to read. The bathroom on the whole was fine, but as I am over 6 ft tall I found the shower to be a little cramped. It was easier to wet down then put on soap before washing off – I was unable to shower in my normal way of avoiding the water whole soaping etc. This small detail would be my only negative comment.

Check in at Venice went like a dream – shore going excursions and re boarding all went smoothly, which really impressed me the way so many people where handled so smoothly.

The food in the restaurants was very good, as was the overall service. Horizon restaurant for lunch after time ashore was ideal, with a large choice of food, which was constantly refreshed. I liked the idea of compulsory hand sanitizing on entry to the buffet area, and the plastic barriers to stop anyone handling the food except via tongs.

All the staff members that we came in contact with where friendly and helpful, it was difficult at the end of the cruise to single out those for special mention. We loved the Crooners Bar – quiet, yet very good for people watching; plus the picture windows over the sea kept me interested.

We enjoyed the shows in the theater, even those on the top deck brought back memories of yesteryear. We are both 'sold' on cruising in the future

Geoffscouse's Full Rating Summary

Balcony
Cabin B2 C 535

Very good size with plenty of storage space - balcony space very good with table and chairs. Didn't hear any noise from outside, everything worked well, bed was comfortable - an excellent choice.

Venice

We arrived early for the ship and did our own touring before joining

Istanbul

Due to the rescue of 117 refugees we missed out on Istanbul and went to Santorini instead, which was a first for me anyway.

Mykonos

My wife and I did our own thing in Mykonos, but I think we preferred Santorini - less commercialised in my opinion.

Acropolis

I'd visited the Acropolis in the 1960's when it was much less crowded. The heat of the day added to the stress of trying to see every thing at once. I am glad that we didn't do a full day.

View All 390 Acropolis Reviews
Old Olympic Stadium

We just checked it from the outside, as part of the trip to the Acropolis visit.

View All 40 Old Olympic Stadium Reviews
Pompeii Walking Tour

I suppose being the height of the tourist season one expects huge crowds - we did get large crowds, but the guide was good and explained everything clearly. Due to the heat my wife and I cut the tour short near the end.

View All 504 Pompeii Walking Tour Reviews
City Tour

A 90 minute drive to reach Rome, along with passengers from nine other cruise ships that where in port at the same time was a big ask for Rome. The city tour was well done and the guide was good. I would have preferred to visit the Colosseum rather than St Peter's Square for our lunch break. Followed by another 90 minute drive back to the ship in 40 c. The whole tour ship to ship was five hours.

View All 349 City Tour Reviews
Pisa Walking Tour

40 minute drive saw us in Pisa - the ten hour Pisa & Florence tour would have been too much for us in the high heat. Seeing Pisa was just right - an interesting guide and with time to sit and watch rather than rushing from place to place.

View All 88 Pisa Walking Tour Reviews