3. Ocean Princess
What was to be a memorable voyage on the Ocean Princess started badly even before we embarked. You can always be sure that when things begin poorly that is the way they usually continue! Let me first say that my wife and I are so called Platinum cruisers. That is actually a euphemism for almost nothing. The value attached to the loyalty levels is an illusion. On a scale of one to ten my aspirations to achieve Elite status and have my clothes cleaned for gratis are less than zero. As for getting computer time most of my 500 minute allocation was taken up with getting a connection at sea. The satellite system on board is hopeless OK ,now for some detail. Two weeks before sailing our tickets arrived from the agent. On the same day we were informed that the most interesting by far of all the Indian Ocean rim stops, Yangon in Myanmar was curtailed by SIX hours due to operational difficulties. I spoke to the UK Princess office expressing my huge disappointment. What I was told in no uncertain terms by an aggressive operator that if I didn't like it I could cancel. Let me just say that we booked one year in advance and paid what I consider to be a huge sum to secure a premium cabin. So we really had no option but to continue. We boarded in Singapore and found our way to the cabin, deck 7 mid ship. The Ocean Princess is about to be sold to Oceania who will refit it completely to make it suitable for 6 star clients. In the meanwhile Princess are making as much money as they can out of what is a very dilapidated vessel. To cut to the quick the cabin was tawdry. The shower cubical had mastic repairs, the headboard was falling to pieces, the bed was worn out and sagged badly, the carpet was filthy , the balcony doors were rusty, the wardrobes were not covered by lighting and so dark we could not find our clothes. On the balcony the paint was peeling off , the flow of water to the hand basin was extremely poor and the TV did not function properly. All told an utter insult to passengers that paid around $18000. The food on board was repetitive and in many ways very poor with little thought to menu choices. The Princess signature dish in the self service area, Chicago Beef was grossly undercooked with blood haemorrhaging from it into a platter. Princess say they are very concerned about cooked food. Well, they certainly were not in this case or on the other occasion they served the same dish. The salads were awful as well in this cafeteria with little or no thought to choice. Overall the food was ill befitting a 4/4.5 star ship especially the meat in the main restaurant which was nothing less than appalling being full of gristle. An Australian cattle farmer on board said that it was rubbish. I agree The ship has seen better days...a lot better. The spas on the pool deck did not work (at all) for the duration of the cruise. I was told by a member of staff the parts were no longer available. In the dining room the glass mirrors covering a number of areas have decomposed and are badly corroded. Overall this ship is very tired . How Princess have got the temerity to sell vacations on it defies belief. The extraordinarily expensive port trips are nothing less than usury. In Durban as part of a tour we were taken to the concourse of a stadium where we were deposited for three quarters of an hour in the boiling heat with absolutely nothing to do. I eventually got a refund from Princess for that but it wasn't without effort and it took a long time . Princess is no longer the superb company it was . Every penny is now accounted for and corners have ben cut in every department. The consequence of this is that cruising with Carnival is now dumbed down. It's all about the money and nothing whatsoever to do with their clients comfort...! Slick company accountant have fettled every aspect to increase revenue and in its place have left an anodyne and unmemorable experience. These soulless company- men have sucked every cent they possibly can out of the product. Money is king. Be aware that you will be bombarded with useless offers every day, most of which are extortionate. Princess have left us with a very bad taste in our mouths. Caveat emptor

SLICK ACCOUNTANCY AND DICTATORIAL OPERATING METHODS

Ocean Princess Cruise Review by seafarer69

• Sail Date: April 2015
  • Destination: Africa
  • Cabin Type: Balcony

Princess have left us with a very bad taste in our mouths. Caveat emptor
seafarer69’s Full Rating Summary