3. Lafayette
While reading the only other review of this ship, I agree with many things the reviewer said. Croise is a French line and everything is directed towards and for the French people. For example, the only channels available on the television in the state room were French programs, with no subtitles available for English, or Spanish. When I did get reception on the other channels, the only American station was the news. The crew was wonderful, every one of them; from the cruise director to the house keeping staff. Our guide was French and just the cutest little thing ever. Her English was acceptable, but at times she was hard to understand. As said by the last reviewer, there was no daily program or written instructions. Everything was told to us as a large group in three different languages. If you didn't have a pen and paper handy, it was easy to forget what the instructions were. Croise advertises free Samsung tablets would be available for everyone, however I had to ask for one and I was given the one that was currently being used by the staff. Then I had to ask the next day for a charger, and was given a charger being used by another computer and was told I needed to return it as soon as possible. And the tablet was in French, so it wasn't of much use to me. I asked for an English one, and the director told me he would give me one, but he never did. Internet was sketchy, which no one was really warned about. We are in the middle of the Rhine, so one can not expect to have internet. Just wish on the Croise site, this would have been stated. The major thing I was not happy about was that excursions were not included, which now when I look at the prices for this itinerary, they are..for an additional $600 or so. I wanted to go into Cologne on my own, but I was forced to pay for the excursion because the boat was still moving. If we did not do the excursion, we would have had to stay on the boat and miss Cologne. Once our tour ended, we all got on a coach which took us to Dusseldorf to meet the ship at the next debarkation. The same thing happened in Dusseldorf...stay on the boat if you don't want to pay to get off. I will say, though, that we were put on Mercedes Benz coaches, that were very nice and comfortable. My room was very nice. I got one of the four single cabins for no single supplement fee. But there was no shower door, only a curtain, so all the water would drip out onto the floor. The bathroom door wouldn't stay open on its' own without me using a trash bin to hold it open. I think the reason for this was because they didn't want the water from the shower going onto the carpet in the room. The entertainment was quite weak. Croise says "professional entertainment." This was one of the crew playing the keyboard all day. Yes, she was good but I wouldn't consider that professional entertainment. They could have saved money by piping in the music and hiring professionals to give us some real entertainment. The crew put on a show the last night and maybe I don't understand French humor, but it was very silly. Miming was a major part of the show. The dining staff was very accommodating and so was the chef. Any substitutions that were requested were gladly made. Dinner was good, if you love duck. They served a lot of duck. I expected more French cuisine. Maybe some frog legs and escargot would have been nice as a choice. The buffet breakfast was lovely but the buffet lunches weren't all that great. Dinners usually lasted about 2 hours with five courses served. Dinner ended quite late and it was time to go to bed in an hour on a full stomach. Not complaining as far as being full. They didn't let us ever go hungry. Just wished dinner wasn't so long and ended earlier. They had several games and quizzes for us to play. It was very cute. Tokens were given to us if we answered correctly and the last night we could use our tokens to bid on four different items. Nothing of value. One woman got a bottle of water when she had the highest bid. Overall, the price was very reasonable and there was not one complaint about the staff. The food was very fancy. Not happy about the Samsung tablet promise made by the company and even though there was a fair amount of lounge chairs on the upper deck, there were no chair pads, so not a single person laid on them. They need more activities to do on board when the ship is cruising. They did have some board games and cards, but some nightly entertainment would have been appreciated. A nice thing that they should have had would have been free bicycles to use. Some of the staff spoke no English at all, so it was difficult at times. We were seated in the dining room with other Americans, so I thank them for that.

Nice Ship for the Price

Lafayette Cruise Review by onefinejo

onefinejo’s Full Rating Summary
Get CroisiEurope Lafayette price drops

Very nicely decorated but could have used a shower door in the bathroom and a liquid soap dispenser.