• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

Mary Elliott-Klemm
First Time Cruiser • Age 70s

Sail Date: Jun 2015
Cabin:

I had not wanted to go on a cruise, but the "Viking Homelands" trip won me over. The crew was always attentive and friendly. Our cabin steward was absolutely the best ever! We enjoyed dining in all the restaurants and I was particularly impressed with the creativity of the "Chef's Table" offerings. The activities were varied so that there was something for everyone, my favorite being the Chef's cooking demonstration. Of course, the spa experiences were heavenly with excellently trained staff.

There were a variety of shore excursions with excellent guides. We particularly enjoyed the visits to the homes of Sibelius and Grieg with the concerts that followed. Those were experiences that we wouldn't have been able to have done easily on our own. We prefer to go on shore at our own pace and in most cases that was possible. The daily newsletter was extremely helpful in helping us to plan the day's events and will be an excellent memory of the locations we visited.

The ship itself is beautifully designed in outstanding Scandinavian minimalist style and was created in such a way that there was always a place to gather with friends or be by myself if I chose. I loved the woodland birdsongs in the public restrooms, too! So very Finnish! Our two weeks on the "Viking Homelands" cruise spoiled me forever, and that's the way a cruise should be.

Cabin Penthouse Junior Suite

The cabin was spacious, well decorated, and comfortable. The bed was also very comfortable, and with the exception of that one wild night on the North Sea, I never had trouble sleeping. I loved the bathroom and having the sinks clean almost constantly was wonderful. There were plenty of drawers, cupboards, etc. for us to move into and be organized. My husband especially appreciated the refilled mini-bar. Laundry service was great. Extra touches like the champagne and flowers were delightful. We appreciated having Wi-Fi reception . We do not watch TV, so having two was a bit over the top. My only complaint is that we could hear the TV from the room next door.

Port Reviews

Tallinn

This is a very walkable city and easy to access from the ship. We happily wandered through the streets, had a delicious lunch at an amazing cafe/bakery, and took our time taking photographs late into the day. We had plenty of time. This city has the most amazing doors!!!

Copenhagen

A delightful city, but very crowded with tourists. We did, however, enjoy our time and discovered the city on our own.

Stavanger

Charming city! Lots of photo opportunities, found a delicious restaurant for lunch, and enjoyed our walk through this small city.

Find a Viking Star Cruise from $3,279