Viking Star Cruise Review

My First Cruise

Viking Star Cruise Review by Mary Elliott-Klemm

• Sail Date: Jun 2015
  • Destination: the Baltic Sea

I had not wanted to go on a cruise, but the "Viking Homelands" trip won me over. The crew was always attentive and friendly. Our cabin steward was absolutely the best ever! We enjoyed dining in all the restaurants and I was particularly impressed with the creativity of the "Chef's Table" offerings. The activities were varied so that there was something for everyone, my favorite being the Chef's cooking demonstration. Of course, the spa experiences were heavenly with excellently trained staff.

There were a variety of shore excursions with excellent guides. We particularly enjoyed the visits to the homes of Sibelius and Grieg with the concerts that followed. Those were experiences that we wouldn't have been able to have done easily on our own. We prefer to go on shore at our own pace and in most cases that was possible. The daily newsletter was extremely helpful in helping us to plan the day's events and will be an excellent memory of the locations we visited.

The ship itself is beautifully designed in outstanding Scandinavian minimalist style and was created in such a way that there was always a place to gather with friends or be by myself if I chose. I loved the woodland birdsongs in the public restrooms, too! So very Finnish! Our two weeks on the "Viking Homelands" cruise spoiled me forever, and that's the way a cruise should be.

Mary Elliott-Klemm's Full Rating Summary

Cabin Penthouse Junior Suite 8004

The cabin was spacious, well decorated, and comfortable. The bed was also very comfortable, and with the exception of that one wild night on the North Sea, I never had trouble sleeping. I loved the bathroom and having the sinks clean almost constantly was wonderful. There were plenty of drawers, cupboards, etc. for us to move into and be organized. My husband especially appreciated the refilled mini-bar. Laundry service was great. Extra touches like the champagne and flowers were delightful. We appreciated having Wi-Fi reception . We do not watch TV, so having two was a bit over the top. My only complaint is that we could hear the TV from the room next door.

Royal Canal Tour

Lovely to be on the water and see the city from a different perspective.

View All 17 Royal Canal Tour Reviews

Delightful concert and wonderful guides. Such a beautiful site for his home.

City Tour

Gave a good panorama, but very few opportunities to enjoy the city.

View All 378 City Tour Reviews
Hermitage Museum

Crowded. So much to see. We had hoped to visit the more modern painters also but were never given the opportunity.

View All 377 Hermitage Museum Reviews
Peterhof Palace

Amazing! Beautiful! Thank you for getting us there before the crowds arrived! Delightful to wander the gardens.

View All 231 Peterhof Palace Reviews
Russian Ballet Show

Beautifully executed ballet.

View All 99 Russian Ballet Show Reviews

The Gold Room was very interesting and the guide was excellent.

However, then we had to rush through the rest of the Hermitage. We had thought that this would be different than the other Hermitage Tour but it was the same with the exception of having more time because we didn't see the Gold Room.

Tallinn

This is a very walkable city and easy to access from the ship. We happily wandered through the streets, had a delicious lunch at an amazing cafe/bakery, and took our time taking photographs late into the day. We had plenty of time. This city has the most amazing doors!!!

Gdansk Old Town

same tour....

View All 60 Gdansk Old Town Reviews
St. Mary's Church

Fascinating Old Town and enjoyable organ concert at St. Mary's. We would have liked more time to enjoy this very interesting place.

View All 2 St. Mary's Church Reviews

Berlin is an amazing city with monumental buildings. So worth seeing.

However, we were told we would have 3 1/2 hours on our own to explore and, for a variety of reasons, that is not what happened. We had far less. It didn't help that it was 100 degrees fahrenheit that day either...

Copenhagen

A delightful city, but very crowded with tourists. We did, however, enjoy our time and discovered the city on our own.

Stavanger

Charming city! Lots of photo opportunities, found a delicious restaurant for lunch, and enjoyed our walk through this small city.

Mary Elliott-Klemm