3. Grandeur of the Seas
Background information: My husband and I, both 31 years old, no kids We love cruising for relaxation (on most cruises we do not get off the ship) We have been on 6 cruises (2 Carnival, 3 Disney, 1 Royal) and was married aboard the Disney Magic in 2011. We chose the Grandeur because it was cheap and we didn't have to fly but wanted to go somewhere for vacation. Ship information: The ship was small but it was a very beautiful ship However, some parts of the ship were under construction - for instance there were two automatic doors that did not work the whole time we were there. On the 10th deck they had some of it blocked off for renovation, however, it did not cause any issues, some of the jogging track was covered but it was not unable to be used. The adult only area was nice because it was enclosed, the sun still shined through but there was no wind which was really nice. Activities: The ship offered a lot of small activities; trivia (constantly), movies on the pool deck and in the theater, table tennis tournament, karaoke, etc... They offered a lot of activities in the all ages pool area, however, we prefer the adult only pool since we don't have kids and would prefer to be in a quiet area. Port: We are ship people and prefer to stay aboard the ship while others port because the ship is nice and quiet when others are on shore. However, we did get off on Royal's private island Coco Cay in the Bahamas. Unfortunately this island fell flat for me. The beaches were covered in large rocks and I didn't have any water shoes so it was hard to walk around. Since I was married on a Disney Cruise ship on their private island Castaway Cay-Coco Cay was very disappointing for me. Travel to embarkation Port: Embarkation was fast and went with ease. We had no issues and it did not take too long to get on the ship! Cabin: We had inside cabin 3055. I enjoyed how it was in the middle of the ship and there wasn't too much swaying. It was also very quiet which I love! Of course it was small - but it's a cruise and that goes without saying. Our phone didn't work but we didn't need it anyways. They didn't have any small refrigerators either, it would have made that a bit better so I could keep my water bottle cold or bring snacks down or leftovers to keep in my fridge until later. Dining: This was a let down. Some of the food was good - I enjoyed the tempura mahi mahi and tiger shrimp, but like I said before, sailing on a Disney Ship makes my expectations pretty high. However, since I paid way less for this cruise I will say I got what I paid for. The dinners were not spectacular but they were edible and far better than anything I would have prepared for myself at home! The ship had three additional PAY dining restaurants and before you even board the ship they are pretty much in your face forcing you to pay for dinners. I didn't understand that because we paid to have our food all inclusive but they still wanted me to buy three more dinners in their pay restaurants? Anyways, we did get one dinner at the Chops Grille. It was $48 and the dinner did not disappoint at all. I got the filet/lobster tail, crab cake, goat cheese salad. Yes it was VERY good. Dessert was a hit with the Red Velvet Cake however the Chocolate Lava Cake was a dud. Also, service was extremely slow. We spent almost 2.5 hours in there eating dinner. The view was nice though - the table next to the window was perfect, if it wasn't cloudy outside we would have seen a beautiful sunset. Even after stuffing our faces the server was pressuring us to join the buffet luncheon the next day at $30 a person. (we declined). The Windjammer - was exactly that - JAMMED. Every morning and lunch time it was so difficult to find a table to eat at. And employees took forever to clean off tables so it was difficult to know if someone had actually left their table or were coming back. One time we went outside and ate at the bar because there was literally NO WHERE to sit. The food offered there was pretty average, however, I will say I did enjoy their 'healthy section'. I was able to get hard boiled eggs and scrambled egg whites which I have not been able to do on other ships. I would have loved a fresh omelet but the line was always so long I didn't want to wait for it. We went to the Windjammer for dinner after our sit down dinners almost every night because we didn't like our food selections that much in the main dining area. It was easy to find a table during dinner time. I enjoyed the ice cream they put out with toppings but did no like how the ice cream was always a melty mess. The Windjammer was just average - breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Park Cafe at the same selections every day and every night. No variation. It was just OK. Service: Let me tell you - the service aboard the Grandeur was terrible. Almost everyday I felt like an inconvenience to someone. I jog at 4am and obviously that is when the crew wakes up to get the decks ready for the day. I got so many dirty looks from the crew on Deck 10 and the one day the guy throw the lawn chair across the deck. It's my vacation and I felt like I was in their way. I have never felt that way on a cruise before. The service at dinner was not good either. There was no pleasant interactions with the servers. One day they had pistachio ice cream, I had asked the server the next day if they had any left from the night before. Usually, from my experience the servers go out their way to at least CHECK to see if they have anything you request. This guy said "No". That was it. He didn't even LOOK. I was not happy with dining area service. We hardly saw our stateroom attendant and while walking through the halls all the other stateroom attendants didn't even acknowledge us, no hello's, good morning's, nothing. Again, I felt like I was an inconvenience for this people just walking in the hallway. On the Disney Cruise Ships you can't go by ANY of the crew without getting a "GOOD MORNING!!" "HAVE A GREAT DAY" or a simple "HELLO!". Entertainment: One thing I did enjoy was the cruise director, Mitch, and his staff. They kept things fun and lively during the day and night. The entertainment on board - magician, comedians, and a variety act was just pretty average. The variety act - el gaucho was the best out of all of them. Everything else just eh. I wouldn't recommend the Grandeur of the Seas to anyone, do some more research or save your money and do a Disney Cruise!!

Grandeur of the Seas - Just Average

Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review by stephanievm

• Sail Date: July 2015
  • Destination: Bahamas
Background information:

My husband and I, both 31 years old, no kids

We love cruising for relaxation (on most cruises we do not get off the ship)

Ship information:

The ship was small but it was a very beautiful ship

Activities: