Viking Star Cruise Review

Not Really Ready for Primetime Ocean Sailing

Viking Star Cruise Review by NM_HK

• Sail Date: Jul 2015
  • Destination: Transpacific

Overall thing wer going well. The television had a tendency to stop and start at random, but that was minor. Crew was efficient and friendly. Food was very good. Leaving St Petersburg noticed that a Costa ship had passed us shortly after leaving port. When we awoke we were not in Tallinn and the Captain announced the engine problem. From there things quickly went down hill. Everything the capt and other officers told us was quite simply not completely accurate.

Noticed that the company told one site that we were offered an opportunity to fly to

Bergen to finish our cruise. Yes, we were offered, but that offer was unilaterally rescinded by the company the next mornig. Yesterday one couple in our group was told in the late afternoon to have their bags in the hallway by 10 p.m. And prepare to disembark at 4 a.m. the morning.

I received a phone call telling me I was to depart on Aug 5 from Tallinn and to contact the Explorer Desk for further information. When I went there I was given flight information. When I went online to attempt to get seat assignments, the flights listed under the confirmation number provided were totally different. Additionally, some people are being told that Viking wants everyone off the boat by Tuesday, Aug 4. Guess we'll in a tent somewhere on the docks. An other person in our party was giving a flight to Chicago, even though she originated in Pittsburgh. Seems like the simple solution of just getting a flight from Chicago to Pittsburgh was too complicated so she was told to wait and they would get another set of flights.

Their crisis management is just absurd. The people handling the flights will tell what will get you out of their sight and do not mind changing their story to your face. It is the ubiquitous "they" is running this operation.

One can not discount the fact that if this mechanical failure had not occurred I would have been more than pleased with my experience. The mishandling of this event has soured my appreciated of all the good things about this trip. For example this morning we heard an announcement that basically stated we know nothing, don't bother us, we'll call you, but it took 5 minutes to tell us that. Additionally, announcements are often not made in our cabin. We have to go out into the hall to hear them.

There seems to be a lack of real planning. For example this morning two tours had departed the boat when an announcement was made asking all passengers booked on a continuation of this cruise to report to the theater for important information. Wonder how made of these people were off the boat. Seems like they should know who these people are and contacted them directly. We're thinking of passing on our tour so we don't miss out on a opportunity to get off the ship for good.

NM_HK's Full Rating Summary