3. Seven Seas Mariner
I recently returned from a 10-day Mediterranean Rome-Venice cruise. It met all my expectations and was a delightful and memorable experience. I have only a few complaints and none of them ruined my vacation. The best part of the trip was the service. I wanted for nothing during the trip. My cabin steward brought me everything I needed. You could have anything delivered by room service. If you had complaints about anything, it was quickly addressed. Waitstaff in the dining rooms was always friendly (and was completely over the top in Signatures). We had assistance with questions or issues whenever we needed it. I have read mixed reviews about the food, but I had no complaints myself. Breakfast in the Coffee Connection was a bit lame, but I had delicious meals everywhere else. Maybe they weren't the best and most memorable meals I ever had, but nothing was low quality or poorly prepared. I enjoyed the meals I had in the pool grill (best burgers ever), La Veranda, Sette Mari, Prime 7 (amazing prime rib) and Signatures as well afternoon tea at the Horizon Lounge. All of the lounges were pleasant places to hang out although the mixed drinks often seemed a little weak. I can't make too many observations about the entertainment. I never went to the shows at night as I was usually too tired from daily activities to stay out late. I went to the karaoke nights, but the selection of songs available was really lame. The background music in the lounges was always pleasant and non-intrusive. I don't gamble, so I didn't spend much time in the casino. It is a very bland room without much going on except for slot machines and a few tables. I wasn't crazy about the pool. It's not very big, so if a few people show up and start congregating in the shallow end, it's nearly impossible to actually swim. It also doesn't have nearly enough seating. The sun beds are comfortable, but they take up way too much space. They should replace them with more lounge chairs. I didn't spend any time with the other recreational activities on board, but the kids I was traveling with had a lot of fun with bocce, shuffleboard, and the games available in the library. Excursions were mixed. In Sorrento I had an entertaining and informative tour of Pompeii. My tour of Taormina and the Greco-Roman theater was good, but a bit rushed. The shuttles from town to the ship are convenient and run regularly, so I was easily able to stay longer in places where I wanted to explore beyond the tours. The ship had very skimpy offerings in Zakynthos and Corfu, so I booked private tours for those (well worth the money). My walking tour of Bari and the cathedrals exceeded my expectations. Bari doesn't look that interesting from the ship, but it's a whole new world when you walk into the old town. St. Sabino and St. Nicholas are beautiful cathedrals. Montenegro was also very interesting and is a stunningly beautiful country. My guide was hilarious and I enjoyed my free sample of the local firewater (and dare I say they make better prosciutto than the Italians?) I was not very happy with my tour of Croatia. The tour was to Krka National Park with a side cruise to another town. The cruise and lunch took up way too much time and not very well planned. We went into the park, got on the boat and had lunch in the town, then went back by bus to exactly where we started, having to wait to enter the park gates again. We had almost no time in the park. I was anticipating some hiking (I even brought boots), but only had a short walk around one loop before having less than an hour to swim in the falls. I had a nice tour in Slovenia, but I was very disappointed that I could not go to Lipica. As a horse lover, the trip to the Lipizzaner Stud Farm was supposed to be the highlight of my trip. I was told it was there was no performance scheduled that day, so the ship canceled. Although I would have liked to see a performance, I really wanted to see the beautiful stables and grounds and meet the horses (and maybe see some of those black foals). My hop on/hop off tour was nice enough though as I explored one or two very pretty towns and had another chance to go to the beach in Portoroz. My final tour in Venice was also interesting as I went to some areas I wasn't familiar with and the gondola ride with the musical serenade was beautiful (although short). The gym was well-equipped with plenty of cardio machines and a decent selection of machine and free weight options. I had a very nice treatment at the spa (special pedicure) and the staff could not be nicer. There was a large selection of fitness classes daily, but I never went to any of them, so I can't comment. If you fall out of shape on this cruise it will be because you eat too much good food and not because you don't have any fitness opportunities. I had only two major complaints with the ship. The first is that there was sometimes a sewage smell in the hallway outside my room that occasionally seeped into my room. The cleaning staff tried to address it, but it never completely went away. I didn't smell it all the time though. I was also bothered by the fact that Sette Mari doesn't take reservations. It's very popular and if you're traveling with a large party as I was, they just don't have enough tables. My entire party did manage to get in there once, but it meant playing around with schedules and having a few family members "hold" a table for everyone else. Overall my cruise was a great experience. I enjoyed great food, drinks, and service and and had many memorable experiences ashore. I would definitely do this again.

Excellent Experience

Seven Seas Mariner Cruise Review by Zforce

Excursions were mixed.

Zforce’s Full Rating Summary
Get Seven Seas Mariner price drops

Deluxe Suite
Cabin G
The cabin itself was not huge, but it had an enormous amount of closet space, which was really useful. The bed was comfortable. The balcony was adequate with comfortable chairs. The room had many useful features as well. I would have liked some wine in addition to the beer and soda in the minibar.
Deck 8 Suite Cabins

• Basilica di San Nicola
    This was beyond expectations. We walked through Old Town and watched women roll out orechiette. We didn't just visit St. Nicholas, but also St. Sabino. They were both beautiful cathedrals. We had just enough time for shopping afterwards.
    View All 3 Basilica di San Nicola Reviews
  • Corfu
    Took a private tour with Nefis travel. Went to Shipwreck Beach and the Blue Caves and then had a light meal at a local taverna. Our guide Jackie was fun and informative and there is nothing like swimming in the Blue Caves. The water is deep and crystal clear and the scenery is so beautiful.
    View All 681 Corfu Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Corfu Cruise Port Review
  • Hop and Taste Tour
    Visited Piran, Isola, and Portoroz. We had vouchers for free food at each town. Pursuit of the food sometimes kept us from really exploring the towns, though each town was charming. We spent most of our time in Portoroz at the beach.

I was really looking forward to going to Lipica on this tour. It was one of the places I looked forward to the most. The cruise canceled it with the excuse that there was no performance scheduled that day. I would have liked to have seen the performance, but I also wanted to see the beautiful stables and grounds and meet the horses. I am a horse lover and not seeing the farm was a huge disappointment.
    View All 13,608 Hop and Taste Tour Reviews
  • Montenegro Highlights
    Beautiful scenery and great funny guide. We went to a restaurant where we tried the local prosciutto (dare I say better than the Italian) and the STRONG local firewater.
    View All 88 Montenegro Highlights Reviews
  • Pompeii Walking Tour
    Great and informative guide. Fairly comprehensive view of some of the major buildings.
    View All 29 Pompeii Walking Tour Reviews
  • Teatro Greco
    A bit rushed. We seemed to be practically running through the streets until we reached the theater, but we spent a lot of time at the theater. We also had plenty of free time afterwards, which we extended by taking the shuttle back to the ship.
    View All 18 Teatro Greco Reviews
  • Gondola Ride
    Beautiful sunset ride with music. I just wish it had been longer (but it was the standard length of a gondola ride - about 30 minutes).
    View All 87 Gondola Ride Reviews
  • Venice Walking Tour
    This was the Hidden Treasures tour. We walked more than we really visited any sights, but we had a great tour of the Frari cathedral. Our wonderful guide really gave some detailed information about the artwork there. We decided to stay on after the tour though and it's not easy to get back to the ship, so be warned. It's a long boat ride followed by a trip via "people mover" and then a long walk to the ship.
    View All 71 Venice Walking Tour Reviews
  • Krka National Park & Cruise
    The tour was not well planned. We started in the park, went on the cruise right away, and then went back to the park and had to enter through the main gate all over again. We had little time to explore the park on foot and even less time to swim in the waterfalls.
    View All 13,608 Krka National Park & Cruise Reviews