3. Golden Princess
I chose this cruise as I had never visited South America. When I added up the cost of alternative ways of visiting the places included on the cruise, such as flights or bus, the cruise was the better option for me financially, even as a solo traveller. Highlights of the cruise for me were Valparaiso (before embarkation), the Beagle Channel, Buenos Aires and the port of disembarkation, Rio de Janerio. In hindsight a couple of the tours I went on were not worth the money spent, particularly in Punta Arenas (Ottway Penguin Colony - few penguins), Falkland Islands (Town and Country Trek - not too much to see) and Ushuaia (the Beagle Channel Wildlife Cruise - not too much to see). I mainly used the buffet for my meals. The selection was OK but nothing out of the ordinary. I stayed at the Ibis Hotel in Valparaiso which was very near the wharf where the Golden Princess was berthed. It took me some to discover that the cruise check-in area was a few kilometres away at a converted warehouse near Baron Metro Station. Disembarkation at Rio de Janerio was somewhat chaotic with long queues resulting from the late arrival of the Brazilian immigration personnel on the ship. I stayed at the Ibis Hotel at Copacabana, which I found was good value for money. I took a taxi to the hotel and was checked in quickly. However, other people from the four cruise ships that arrived in Rio on the same day had a frustrating experience in checking in when they arrived later than me.

Great Way to Visit South America

Golden Princess Cruise Review by kiwiatheart

• Sail Date: December 2014
  • Destination: South America
  • Cabin Type: Oceanview (obstructed view)

kiwiatheart’s Full Rating Summary
Get Golden Princess price drops

Oceanview (obstructed view)
Cabin OW E328
I booked an unassigned oceanview (obstructed view) cabin, and was assigned E328. According to the cruise documentation, I received an upgrade from OZ to OW but still the same cabin category. I was travelling by myself, and the cabin was quite adequate. The bathroom, however, was quite small and cramped. My fear that I would see little from my cabin window was unfounded as there was a clear view out the window apart from a wire. The lifeboat did not interfere with the view, but other cabins on the desk would not have offered as clear a view from their windows.
Emerald Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins