3. Celebrity Constellation
Firstly, don't mistake the itinerary with the quality/treatment of the actual cruise line. One cannot fault the islands or weather and this ultimately says whether you had a good holiday or not. Secondly, the waiters/waitresses and cabin boys etc.. are all lovely people who are very friendly and this applies to all the cruise lines. After all, they take from the same pool of people. My comments merely apply to the 'management' of Celebrity and their attitude to their customers, irrespective of the veiled smile that is trained into them. I wish to start with the leaving day, whereby we were sold a holiday ending with 2 days in Venice. The Saturday was indeed very hot ad humid to the point that everybody was wet through with sweat in just 10 minutes of being outside. I have no problem with this though in that we went ashore and after 4 - 5 hours, came back to shower up and get changed. My issue was the next day, whereby everybody had to be off the ship by 9:30 am the latest. The flight however was not until 9:50 pm and everybody was told to make their way back to the port at 4 pm to be taken to the airport. For any luggage, you had to pay for this to be stored (they're very good at taking money - but we'll talk about that later!). No washing or changing facilities and completely abandoned as far as they were concerned. Sticky, hot and exhausted by the heat, the flight times were 6 hours later after an already gruelling day and they booked the flights, not us!!! If they want you off ship, then the flights should have been booked earlier that day as this was not a day's holiday and everybody was agitated to say the least. They weren't bother though, just wanted to get the next batch of customers on board to take more money. Now let's talk about money, oh yes, the money.!!! Forget the prices and deals you see on line, these people can take money faster than the 'artful dodger'. Drinks are hugely overpriced to get you to sign up for the 65 dollars a day drinks package (per person) which is just under £77 dollars with the 18% fixed gratuity. Eight days later and for 4 people, yes, that was (per person) just under $2500 - WOW!!! - Don't think you can avoid this though, because water, coffee etc...is all charged for and this apparently saves you money??!! (so they told us). For the lower 'regular drinks package, this was apparently worthless, because people who were on this found that there were none of their drinks is the various bars/restaurants and they then had to pay for the full price of the drink and not the difference between the two drinks offers. Alternatively, the offer was to upgrade - Bingo (more money for Celebrity!.. Photographs, 25 dollars each!!!! but what is the alternative, They hold your memories to ransom and I bought three because I wanted a picture of my family all together. For a happy snap taken as we left the ship for one of the ports, they offered it to me and I though it was as a token given that I had just spent $75 (plus gratuities remember!!! = $89). Oh no!, this picture was $15 (+ 18%). Huge rip off. For our lads who fall into the 18 - 25 bracket, they said that there was little on offer for them aboard this cruise. Like most young people, internet is a 'must' these days as everybody stares into the palms of their hands. Wi-Fi you wold think would be free, After all, it is in McDonalds. Not here!!! trey $400. How is that in any way justifiable?! In terms of entertainment, I did think that both of the groups were very good. They played and sang well, albeit the sound system is lacking for a cruise ship such as this. The big error here though is that they both take a break at 9:00pm and don't come back on for an hour. (I mean - would you turn your TV off at home at this time though? - this is prime time viewing and with so many people aged 55+ not everybody wants to stop up until the early hours, particularly if you are out early the next day. A change of act and constant music in the two bars ('Rondez Vous' and 'Reflections' lounge) is a must. Meanwhile, not once was the grand piano played y a lounge bar pianist, only when a jazz group was put on for an hour or so! Regarding music elsewhere, there was a good violinist (accompanied by a guitarist), but most of the time, there was a DJ playing deep house and rave music which is ridiculous given the demographic. This should only be reserved for the night club after the band in 'Reflections' has finished. Plus the music does not cover all genres. Other 'sillies' going on include that fact that you cannot always get the same drinks in all the bars. Bottled beers in one bar (that you may like) are not necessarily available in other bars and yet they have the same supply cupboard. The bars are no always stocked (even at the start of the bar opening) and service is slow. Most of the time, we had to go up to the bar or really attract the staff who would then serve. This is not good enough for a cruise ship whereby you want to be served and have paid a lot of money up front. The staff however are still very friendly and I do reiterate that fact. It's just the laid back way that everything is organised, or not! (to be more to the point). Anyway, would I go back - No! - not really, but I am still happy that we went on this holiday if only for the places that we say and the family being together. With charges for holiday cost was virtually doubled and was more or less doubled. So be warned. Provided you take that into account, then you won't be disappointed, but frankly, I consider them to the a very greedy organisation!!! - Happy sailing!

Oh dear, Oh dear, oh dear - Celebrity rip off