3. Explorer of the Seas
Well we are just back from our 2 week cruise on the explorer of the seas. First of all check in was quick & easy, within 30 minutes of parking our car we were on the ship. First big tip to take note of is make sure you pack a bag you can carry onto the ship with a change of clothes etc because they take your suitcases when you get the car park. Our cabin had been changed without our knowledge & as a result there was a mix up with our luggage. However, the staff were very helpful & by 10pm we had our suitcases. So it's probably easier if I list the positives first: - most of the staff are extremely friendly & helpful -we ended up being upgraded to a junior suite which was lovely & big. It included a large balcony & a walk in wardrobe. -getting on & off the ship was fairly quick (apart from when they had to use tenders). - Izumi restaurant was great with fantastic service & food. It's important to note though that this is an extra charge to eat here - the daily compass put in each cabin was useful to find out about the activities for the following day - mini golf is good fun & you can play it as often as you please - casino was good fun & you can put on as little as $1 at a time - the places we went to were good overall - the gym was great & had good equipment. Ok so now onto the negatives: - of course with it being July the ship was full which we expected. However, there was loads of kids around & teenagers hanging around the stairs etc. - it was almost impossible to get a sunlounger no matter what time of day. There is an adults only swimming area however as over 16s are allowed in that area it was full of teenagers. - if you are lucky enough to get a sun lounger on the really hot days the pool was so busy you could barely move (not an exaggeration). - our room was lovely but the toilet had a horrible smell of urine & it was a little dated. We did inform our room attendant who tried to fix it but the smell was still there. - our room was really dusty, as in dust that had built up over months. We did inform our room attendant as I have asthma so he did try to fix this but there was still some dust around. - we went for a massage at the spa, I asked for firm pressure & came away with bruises all over my back. My wife was in for much longer than me because the spa worker was trying to sell her products for around 20mins. This put us off so did not return. - the excursions staff were quite rude (not evening giving eye contact at times) & seemed clueless about the range of excursions & locations included in the trip. - the big screen had a square not working the whole trip. They did cinema nights in the evening, including Jurassic Park. Great & we enjoyed it but they could have done with making it a bit more special with maybe a bar open & nibbles such as popcorn. It felt like they shoved on a film and that was it. - we went to the wine tasting event which we had booked before we left. It was pretty poor! More people turned up than they expected so it took about 30mins to set up. We got 4 glasses of wine & were quickly talked through each one. Basically they were trying to sell the wine. We got some cheese but even then they had run out of blue cheese. The actual wine tasting lasted about 15 mins even though it was scheduled for around 2 hours! - food Right ok so here is the thing, the food could quite quickly become repetitive but we varied were we ate in the evenings to try & avoid this. Windjammer - we only had lunch here 2 or 3 times & I found the food too salty for me so I stuck to bread when we ate there. Main dining room - breakfast was fine here for things such as eggs, bacon, eggs etc. Lunch - we had lunch here once & it was too salty for me plus we were not all that keen on sharing a table. Dinner - we went twice & it was nice each time. Chops grille Lovely steak here & food was nice overall. It does cost extra to eat here. Giovannes I really enjoyed the food I had here but my wife didn't enjoy hers. The service was average. Again it costs extra here. Izumi Great food & service, they also do nice cocktails. Again an extra cost applies here. Johnny Rockets It costs around $6 each for food here & you can order as much as you want. The burgers were really nice here, chips & onion rings were average. It's important to point out though that they like to sign and dance here so beaware! Room service We found this to be a hit or a miss. Breakfast time was ok but often food came cold. You are better to order through the TV as the paper orders can get lost or taken by teenagers which happened to us. We also had dinner from here when we were really tired & it was ok but not great. Cafe Promenade Food was ok but the same things every day! If you time it right you can get nice warm cookies. Drinks Well we didn't get a drinks package which was fine for us. It was a bit of a pain having to get glasses of water all the time but we got used to it easily enough. Cocktails were fine but most were pre-made which was a bit disappointing. The day we had to get tenders to villefrance was really frustrating as we had wait almost 3 hours to get off the ship which left little time to visit places. Overall we did enjoy ourselves & made the holiday our own but we were disappointed.

Didn't meet expectations

Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by Legesy

So it's probably easier if I list the positives first:

- most of the staff are extremely friendly & helpful

- mini golf is good fun & you can play it as often as you please

- casino was good fun & you can put on as little as $1 at a time

- the places we went to were good overall

- the gym was great & had good equipment.

Ok so now onto the negatives:

- food

Dinner - we went twice & it was nice each time.

Chops grille

Lovely steak here & food was nice overall. It does cost extra to eat here.

Giovannes

Again it costs extra here.

Izumi

Johnny Rockets

Room service

Cafe Promenade

Drinks

Cocktails were fine but most were pre-made which was a bit disappointing.

Legesy’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas price drops

• City Tour
    The trip was ok, it was basically just a bus to take us there & back. Unfortunately there was 7 other cruise ships in port that day so it was really busy.
    View All 316 City Tour Reviews