3. Viking Hermod
The Hermod is only a year old and is in beautiful condition and very well maintained by the staff. It is simply gorgeous. The public areas are very well appointed. The dining room suffers from a low, hard ceiling and is very noisy. It really needs sound baffles. You have to shout to carry on conversations. The service was very slow--only 10 servers for 184 passengers. Ten minutes to get a glass of iced water. The "gourmet" food was well prepared but I prefer the simpler fare of the Viking Pride. The servers waited on all the tables so you never got acquainted with just one for your table with him/her knowing your preferences. The entertainment was mostly the pianist in the bar. He was very good, could play just about anything. The servers were attentive. The drinks expensive: $3.25 for a Coke in the bar. This was offset by free nuts, pretzels, etc. Meals had unlimited free French wine, one red, one white. Too acidic for me, I prefer a Pinot Gregio type which they served only once. The shore excursions varied by difficulty and were all interesting, several offered at each stop, but with the heat wave (95 F) exhausting for me. The best night was the last: we were entertained by an accordionist on the Sundeck, in twilight, next to the Avignon bridge. Spectacular. This was my 3rd Viking river cruise. They were all very good, but the Hermod suffers from a staff that isn't very intimate with the passengers. I was told the staff rotates frequently and their emotional remoteness shows.

Chalon-sur-Saone to Avignon

Temreguy’s Full Rating Summary
Get Viking Hermod price drops

French Balcony
Cabin D
My cabin was spotless, but the shower too small, leg room around the twin beds minimal. The French balcony was nice, big enough for 2 chairs and a little table. Everything a tight fit, rock hard mattress (I travel with my own egg crate foam rubber mattress!) Lots of drawers for clothes, hangers. Varied TV channels (BBC, CNN, no Fox). Shower very small but the glass doors are better than the clingy fabric curtains on some ships. Textured shower floor makes it hard to slip and fall--excellent! Had to bring/use my own shampoo! Excellent Wi-Fi coverage in the cabin; no disconnects. Daily briefing broadcast into the cabin, but the camera pointed to the empty piano in the bar! Had in-room music.
Middle Deck Balcony Cabins

• Les Halles de Lyon
    This tour of the Lyon gourmet food court for the restaurant businesses in Lyon was fascinating. Wish we had such a gourmet food source where I live (So. Calif).
    View All 13,943 Les Halles de Lyon Reviews