3. American Eagle
After cruising the Rhine last year we decided to try a river cruise in America. Our choice was the American Eagle from New Orleans to Memphis. Because of my schedule, we had to schedule it in July which was probably not the best from the heat and humidity situation, but the ship is air conditioned as were tour busses and all so it never really was a big factor. From the moment we showed up at the dock and met Cruise Director Megan, we were greeted constantly with smile and casual talk. (It's no wonder passengers and crew feel like family by the end.) The service was exceptional and the young folks that made up the crew, worked constantly to make the trip a pleasure. Jason sort of oversaw everything and he was readily available if there were any questions or problems. I inquired about refrigeration because of some medications that required it and thinking a cool pack would be enough, I hadn't said anything when making a reservation. Jason assured me they could take care of it and next thing I know is, there was a knock on the door and a hotel refrigerator was delivered. The entertainment was terrific. From the Victory Belles, through Tom Hook, through Dan Knowles ... we thoroughly enjoyed our evenings. That goes for the lecturers too. It was a Civil War Tour and Mike Deeb filled us in on a lot of the history. Mike Jennings was the Riverlorian on board and talked about the Mississippi itself and it's importance to the American economy. The food was excellent at all three meals and I commend the chefs. I didn't hear any complaints from anyone about the food (or anything else for that matter). It's a small kitchen and they ask you to elect ahead for the meals and it was well done. By the way, we did room service breakfast several times and they were there on the dot. The cabin was excellent. We enjoyed the balcony and also the beds. Plenty of storage space and the bathroom was above what you would normally get on a big cruise ship. We thoroughly enjoyed the American Eagle Cruise and are considering another river cruise on ACL in the future. Meanwhile, we are showing pictures to everyone!

Great time on the Mississippi

American Eagle Cruise Review by Dick Crippen

• Sail Date: July 2015
  • Destination: USA

Dick Crippen’s Full Rating Summary
Get American Eagle price drops

Very nice size and enjoyed the balcony. When you get room service it is excellent. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was larger than "big ship" size and nicer. Cabin service was excellent