3. Allure of the Seas
My wife, daughter and I embarked on this western med cruise out of Barcelona and over all we had a fantastic time. There were some things that we really didn't like about the ship though and hopefully this information can help you decide if this cruise and ship are for you. The ship: The ship is just as big as you've read. Even though it is huge and the ship was full it never seemed crowded most of the time. Overall the ship is well designed and easy to navigate. The ship is very clean, I didn't find any dirty common areas or bathrooms anywhere on the ship. Our stateroom was a perfect fit for the 3 of us (balcony stateroom inside above the boardwalk), it was clean and we'll cared for like the rest of the ship. The itinerary is fantastic with only one day at sea. Embarkation was a breeze, the fastest I've ever gotten on a ship. Dining: The food in the main dining room is average on a good night, and sub par most of the time. Portion sizes are disgraceful. My wife ordered cheese ravioli one night as her main and she received 4 ravioli, that's it. Just about every night after dinner we had to find something else to eat and by the 4th night I didn't want to go there anymore. The kitchen was terribly slow and it took a full 2 hours to complete dinner every night. Our server Ramil, was fantastic along with his assistant Edgar. They worked as hard as anyone I have seen in the service industry but the food, well you know. Dispute their hard work, it felt like torture in the end. The windjammer we basically only had breakfast in and it was ok. Typical breakfast stuff. Park cafe was pretty good. Those roast beef sandwiches that everyone raves about... Meh. If your from Iowa or some other place with zero sandwich game then you'll be blown away. But people who don't know any better eat subway and like it. We decided not to eat at any of the pay restaurants on board since we payed a lot of money to go to Europe for this cruise in the first place so we took advantage of what was included in the price and if you've read so far you can probably tell we we're disappointed. Apart from average quality mostly, the hours some of the places kept were not to the advantage of the guest. For example, the hot dog place and park cafe were open 10a-6p daily. Basically, while the ship is in port and more then half of the guests were off of the ship. Meanwhile, while the boardwalk is packed at 8pm after dinner the eateries are closed. Clearly a strategy to mitigate loss and steer guests to pay restaurants. On board activities: A ton of stuff to do... If you don't want to get off of the ship while your in port in Europe. Most activities are during the day while most guests are off of the ship with no evening sessions offered. Zip line open from 4p-7p. 3 hours a day, a joke. Flow rider 11-4p. Lol. Stupid dance parties at night and you could have your picture taken by a car with captain Johnny or something on another night... What ever. Kids club: They have one. It's free until 10pm, after that it's like 7$ an hour. Wifi: They have that too! And it's fast! And it will only cost you over 100$ for one device for the week. There is almost zero overhead and almost no cost to maintain this network with the exception of the cost of the equipment when it was purchased, to ask this much is shameful. Excursions: Take them or be prepared to hire a cab at the pier. Where this monster docks, nothing is within walking distance except in la spezia. DO NOT take the wine tasting in Tuscany excursion. They take you to a small winery and you have what amounts to about a glass of wine. Not air conditioned, no cold water to drink. Go to piza, take the train yourself it was a 10 euro cab ride to the train station and 30 euro round trip for 3 of us via the train. Piza is totally walkable if your reasonably fit and you allow yourself a little time. Train ride is a little over an hour each way. Entertainment: The water show on the back of the ship is good. Blue planet is stupid. And ice games was a pleasant surprise. Just my opinion. Blue planet was trying to be a cirque type show... I think. It failed hard. Ice games was funny. Overall I wouldn't discourage anyone from taking this cruise, the ports are the real stars here and the ship is a way of getting you there after all.

Great cruise, but not without a few issues.

Allure of the Seas Cruise Review by Lovetron

The ship:

Dining:

On board activities:

Kids club:

They have one. It's free until 10pm, after that it's like 7$ an hour.

Wifi: