3. Oasis of the Seas
I suppose everybody's different, but the bad reviews of this ship boggle my mind. If you aren't having a good time, you aren't doing it right. I was traveling with a friend who had cruised before on smaller ships, but this was my first - and the bar is set high! I'm going to be lengthy and try to address all the things I was wondering about when researching this trip. We stayed at a Hampton Inn in Ft. Lauderdale the night before and took the $6 shuttle to the port. Embarkation was expectedly crowded since the ship holds 6K people but it moved like clockwork (as did disembarkation at the end of the trip and at each port). We left the hotel at 11:45 and were on the ship within an hour. Our ocean-view cabin (7222) was very nice and our attendant was prompt all week in replacing towels, delivering information and excursion tickets, and straightening up. We had made several reservations beforehand but did some rearranging through the TV in the room - very convenient feature. Also great for ordering room service. We did breakfast on our balcony every morning, always delivered toward the front half of the allotted half-hour timeframe. The entertainment and activities on board were top notch. The cruise director and activities manager seemed to be everywhere and were tireless bundles of energy. We loved Come Fly With Me (our favorite), the ice show and the aqua show. My friend saw the headliner and enjoyed it. We skipped CATS. I'd seen it before and didn't want to waste such a lengthy amount of time in a theater. Most shows are 45 minutes - a good length. The game shows were a hoot. We went to the Love & Marriage, Quest and Battle of the Sexes games. (The Quest was hysterical!) The comedy show was pretty good. Two comedians; one was a lot funnier than the other but both were enjoyable. (A waiter there took our drink order and never returned - and that's my only real complaint of the whole trip!) The casino was huge and you can smoke there, so be mindful if that sort of thing bothers you. I won a hundred bucks on the slots, so it was all good. We did the premium drink package and found it quite worthwhile…but we're drinkers. The only time we had to pay a little above the allowable cost with the package was for a glass of the top-of-the-line champagne. The package covered up to $12 and none of the bar drinks or wine we had were above that. In terms of bars and clubs, we enjoyed Dazzles, Rising Tide, Champagne Bar and the jazz club. Popped in and out of the others but these stick in my mind most. We gravitated toward the Solarium. We weren't traveling with a family and didn't want to be surrounded by kids, so we appreciated the 16+ age policy in the Solarium. (They do enforce it. We camped near the towel station one afternoon and the attendant politely stopped any kids who would wander over.) The bartenders and waiters were friendly and efficient. The pool there is small so it fills up fast but we were mostly there to sun bathe, only hitting the water when in need of a cool down. (Stepping under the shower near the whirlpool tubs was a convenient option for this when the pool was just too crowded.) We ventured over to the main pool area a little. Crowded but not too tough to find a spot in the water. Enjoyed Central Park and the Boardwalk. The hot dog stand was good, and it was the first time I'd been on a carousel since I was a kid. Didn't love the ice cream shop simply because it's Ben & Jerry's, which I can get at home. And my friend said it was the worst waffle cone she'd ever had. Had a malt in Johnny Rockets and it was far superior. We didn't love the Promenade area simply because it was crowded and always had so much going on. It had a mall feel, so if you're into that sort of thing, go for it. And if not, it's easy to avoid. They do have a variety of sales and activities all week, so it's worth the occasional stroll through. And there's a Coca-Cola Freestyle machine to fill your souvenir cups. We didn't explore too much of the activity zone although I did zipline - enjoyable but a very brief trek. We didn't pay much attention to any of the other such offerings. If relaxing is your motive, try areas like Solarium and Central Park and you'll never realize there are 6K passengers floating with you. It's easy to find out-of-the-way nooks and crannies to relax with a book in both sun and shade. According to my friend, this was by far the best food she's had on a cruise (and this was her 5th). We did My Time Dining and found the food to be quite good. Only one meal did I simply thing was 'okay.' And the service was typically fast and friendly with the exception of one night when we were seated around large parties and had slow service. We only ate at the Windjammer on the last morning and found it fine; we typically popped into the Solarium bistro's lunch buffet on sea days because we were already nearby and could leave our stuff at our deck chairs. For specialty dining, we did Johnny Rockets and Sabor for lunch (the guac at Sabor is excellent) and Chops Grille and Giovanni's Table for dinner. Both dinner choices were wonderful, and we agreed that Giovanni's Table was the best meal we had all week. I made use of the fitness center several times and had a wonderful bamboo massage in the spa that was not only relaxing but also thorough and informative. (You'll be pitched things like lotions or oils to purchase afterward, FYI.) We wanted beach days on our excursions. We had an over-the-water cabana at Nellie's Beach in Haiti and it was absolutely perfect with a beautiful view of the ship, an attendant who kept us stocked with Labadoozies all day (your drink package applies in Labadee), and a cooler of bottled water, floating mats and towels. (Tip: When you get off the ship, look for the Information Center, tell them you have a Nellie's Beach cabana, and they'll take you there in a special cart and get you settled in. The ticket is vague but I'd researched this tidbit online beforehand and knew what to do.) This was our favorite port day b/c of the cabana. In Falmouth, we did the Bamboo Beach Club excursion and enjoyed it. The tour guide was fun and informative on the drive there and the water was beautiful at the beach. They kept us stocked with tapas style food and drinks (small and a little watery, but all-you-can-drink) and the entertainment was fun. Stopped at a little souvenir shop on the way back to the ship, and I picked up a bag of Blue Mountain Coffee. (Our driver was being a little too efficient in time and got a speeding ticket on the way back to the ship.) In Cozumel, we did the Playa Mia Deluxe Beach Break. It was our least favorite beach but there's so much other stuff to do there, we didn't mind. We spent a lot of time in the large pool, enjoyed the endless margaritas and lunch buffet, and went parasailing - which was a blast. We had several hours before our flight home so we opted for an airboat tour after disembarking. That process was easy. If you do an excursion, you're one of the first off the ship and through customs. Oh, the excursion clerk told us we couldn't do the luggage valet since guests doing excursions have their own luggage process, but that wasn't the case that morning. We could've done the valet program and not had to deal with our luggage at all. Oh well. The airboat tour took place at an everglades park where they apparently film Gator Boys on Animal Planet. The airboat tour was cool and our guide, Tonya, was a hoot. We then saw a brief alligator "wrestling" show with Ashley from Gator Boys. A fun way to kill a few hours if your plane leaves later. We were dropped off at the airport around noon. All in all, I had a blast on Oasis of the Seas. It's certainly a higher-end vacation price wise, but you get what you pay for, right? I wanted a relaxing vacation and did my homework beforehand so I rarely felt crowded or overstimulated -- which could be easily done on a ship like Oasis. As I said, if you aren't finding something that meets your vacation needs on this ship, you're not looking in the right places.

The bar is set high for this first-time cruiser

Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by mattab80

mattab80’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas price drops

The cabin was clean and roomy (for a ship stateroom), the attendant prompt, and the balcony view certainly worth the cost. The beds were pushed together when we arrived, so we asked for them to be separated and it was done by the time we came to the room the first night for bed. Our room was in the middle of the ship, so it was an equal distance to either end of the ship we were trying to get to. And we never heard any noise from surrounding cabins.
  Oasis of the Seas Deck Plans

• Beach
    Playa Mia Deluxe Beach Break. While a pretty beach, this was our least favorite in that regard, but Playa Mia has so many other things to do (and we'd already had two beach days), we didn't mind. The attendants were friendly and attentive with things like umbrellas and drinks (all included in your price) and there are plenty of activities, shopping and pools around. We spent our time in the large pool and did the parasailing activity, which was wonderful. They leave you up for about 12 minutes and it looked like up to 3 people could go up at once.
  • Beach
    We did the Bamboo Beach Club beach break and had a lovely day. Our guide, Casheika, was friendly and informative on the 45-minute drive there. Driving in Jamaica is a little jarring but, as she said, "if the driver doesn't scream or I don't scream, we're okay!" Once at the beach, we were treated to tapas style snacks and endless rum punch, mojitos, beer or lemonade. The drinks were small and a little watery, but I expected that and didn't mind. The water and the views were gorgeous and the live entertainment was fun. We stopped at a little souvenir shop on the way back to the pier; nothing major - your typical such shop. We were a little delayed due to the speeding ticket our driver got, but those things happen.
  • Everglades Tour
    We had several hours to kill before our flight home, so we opted for an airboat ride. Tonya, our guide, was quite amusing and the ride itself fun and informative. We had 20+ ppl on the boat but everyone seemed to have a good view. And the gator show afterwards, with the "gator girl" from the Gator Boys show on Animal Planet, was fun. We were among the first people off the ship (7:20 a.m.) and through customs and were dropped off at the airport afterwards by around 12:00. We were told at the excursions desk that people doing excursions on disembarkation day had their own luggage process and not to do the valet service (where you don't see your luggage until you get to your final destination). This wasn't the case, we discovered that morning. We could've done the valet service and been fine. But we were able to leave our luggage and carry-on items on the bus during the tour, so no big deal.
    View All 133 Everglades Tour Reviews
  • Nellie's Beach Cabana
    Our favorite excursion. Booking these cabanas is tricky. There aren't many and they go fast. And the ticket simply says "Meet at Nellie's Beach" when you get it, which is a little vague. But I'd done some research and knew what to do. We walked straight to the Information Center and told the lady we had a Nellie's cabana. She said they had a special cart to take us there, so we hopped on and were on our way. The guy stopped at the Barefoot Beach Cabana stand and got our cabana assignment there, then drove us on to the Nellie's cabanas nearby, where we met Franklin, our attendant. We were in Cabana #5, the furthest out and right over the water with an amazing view of the ship. Franklin had stocked us with mats, bottled water and towels and checked on us every 20 minutes. You can use your drink package at Labadee, so we enjoyed Labadoozies all day long. You have to stroll back to the pier (or take the tram) for the lunch buffet, which was no big deal. The privacy and convenience of these cabanas is wonderful. Such a relaxing day.
    View All 13,944 Nellie's Beach Cabana Reviews