3. Splendour of the Seas
We recently cruised the Mediterranean with Royal Caribbean. We booked our cruise on the Royal Caribbean website and, because we were travelling with our two young daughters, booked interconnecting cabins. We booked internal cabins. We were travelling with another couple and my mother so we booked 4 cabins in total. Every time any of us logged on to the website and viewed our cruise profile, it stated our two rooms were interconnecting. My husband picked that our friend's were erroneously put in a cabin between the two we'd booked so he phoned Royal Caribbean and asked that they ensure that we have the two interconnected rooms. The agent assured us that this was done. When we boarded the cruise, we discovered that our rooms were not interconnected. When we went to Guest Relations, we were told that there are no internal interconnecting cabins on the Splendor of the Seas. When my husband explained that we selected the interconnecting rooms shown on the ship layout on the website, Guest Relations told him that it must have been an old, incorrect layout. When we asked why the Royal Caribbean agent we spoke to telephonically hadn't informed us of this, they just shrugged it off. We insisted on a different room because our daughters were too young to be alone in a room. We were told that the ship was completely full so it would not be possible. This meant that my husband and I had to each sleep with a child in a separate cabin and could not go out later than 8.30 when our children, exhausted from touring all day, went to bed. I understand that mistakes happen but I believe that "Customer Service" is not about ensuring that mistakes don't happen, but how one deals with mistakes when they do happen. This is where the Guest Relations staff on the ship failed miserably. We were treated like rubbish - like we were trying to score an upgrade or freebie. The Guest Relations staff, bar one sympathetic lady, made us feel like WE had made the error and should not make it their problem. Their stance was that if we didn't like the cabin, we could get off at the first port. We were understandably put out and requested some kind of compensation for the error which was clearly on Royal Caribbean's side. We were, in effect, not getting our money's worth given that we were not able to watch a single show or participate in any of the cruise's night time activities. After a number of queries as to how we would be compensated for the mishap, we were given one paltry bottle of wine. Not a beverage package or a complimentary babysitting service for a night, but a bottle of wine. And a ton of attitude. The treatment we received left such a bad taste in our mouths that, bar the excursions, the entire cruise was ruined. Apart from the treatment we received, there were a lot of other negatives that need mentioning. Firstly, a lot of the staff treat guests like cattle, particularly when coming in to port. There was a lot of eye rolling and irritation as they were directing us and other passengers to the exits. Secondly, the food is not good. We often left a lot of our food half eaten in the main dining room as it was simply not worth finishing, and by the end of the cruise, we were skipping courses. The food in the Windjammer is terrible and a paella that they made on one of the sea days was so revolting, I had two bites of my plate and left the rest. Thirdly, the prices on board are astronomical. You feel like you are being robbed blind. $12 for a cocktail next to the pool is madness. The spa prices are ludicrous and the fact that you have to pay for activities such as yoga and pilates are a complete crock. Fourthly, the excursions are so overpriced. Most excursions are in the region of $100 and again, you are herded like cattle. We booked a private tour for seven of us in an aicondtitioned minivan and it cost between $300 and $400 in total. We had personalised guides and could beat the crowds and go wherever we felt like going. Fifthly, my cabin card kept deactivating and I couldn't unlock my cabin door or safe. I kept it away from cell phones, iPads and anything else magnetic that may affect the magnetic strip but I had to go to Guest Relations five times to have it reactivated and call maintenance to unlock the safe for us. We were treated so poorly and with such irritation each time. Lastly, my husband and friends tried running on the running track in the mornings before breakfast. The track is supposed to be open from 7am and yet they were very rudely told to stay off parts of the track while they were being cleaned at 7.30. There are a lot of positives to cruising but our experience with Royal Caribbean was one I'd prefer to forget. We are such easy going people and energy let things slide, but given our experience on this last trip, I would encourage potential cruisers to rethink a cruise on Royal Caribbean, and particularly the Splendour of the Seas.

Shocking experience, the worst customer service ever

Splendour of the Seas Cruise Review by cathswart@tiscali.co.za

cathswart@tiscali.co.za’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 3 to 6
Ages 7 to 9
Get Royal Caribbean Splendour of the Seas price drops

• City Tour
    We signed up for a city tour outside the walls of the Old Town. While the views were wonderful, the driver was rushed to get us through the sights as quickly as possible before rushing us to the next so that he could get back and picked up another tour group. So it was a bit hair-raising but we got to see some interested sights so probably worth it!
    View All 114 City Tour Reviews
  • Walking the Walls
    A wonderful but hot walk so apply lots of sunscreen and take plenty of water to drink
    View All 52 Walking the Walls Reviews
  • Aghios Andreas Beach
    The online photos of this beautiful beach do not do this place justice. Our girls had a wonderful time frolicking on the beach while we enjoyed a delicious meal in the restaurant overlooking the beach and ocean. The portions were huge!!
    View All 3 Aghios Andreas Beach Reviews
  • Olympia Archeological Tour
    A wonderful place full of history.
    View All 192 Olympia Archeological Tour Reviews
  • Carpet Weaving
    We had a wonderful experience at the Carpet Weavers Centre outside Ephesus. We were shown how the different types of carpets are made and then shown examples of exquisite rugs. Mustafa, our host, was friendly and highly entertaining. I'm so glad we went there!
    View All 40 Carpet Weaving Reviews
  • Ephesus
    Led by our guide, Mahmut, whom we arranged through Ertunga Tours, we absolutely loved this ancient city. It is fascinating and beautiful and Mahmut's insights were so interesting.
  • House of the Virgin Mary
    A truly moving experience and a must see. Our guide took us at a time when it wouldn't be too crowded because it can parental get very busy.
    View All 80 House of the Virgin Mary Reviews
  • Temple of Artemis
    Not much to see as there is just one pillar left of this temple but we had time to kill so it was worth a look, and again, our guide's insights about this ruin were fascinating.
    View All 23 Temple of Artemis Reviews
  • Beach
    We visited to Red pebble beach so that my girls could have a bit of a splash. There is a tricky climb to get down to the beach though so not recommended for young kids or older people.
  • Oia Village
    A picturesque little village to explore and take wonderful photos.
    View All 227 Oia Village Reviews
  • Venice
    A truly beautiful city but it lived up to its reputation of pickpocket capital of Europe when my mom was pickpocketed on the first day on our trip so take care!
    View All 1,462 Venice Cruise Port Reviews