3. Carnival Splendor
We just got back from spending 8 days aboard the Carnival Splendor, and I have to be honest, what a disappointment. Having cruised a few times myself, I was looking forward to taking my in-laws on their first one. After shopping around for some time, we came across the Carnival Splendor, leaving out of New York City, which is literally 20 minutes from our house. I am normally a Royal Caribbean die hard, but I figured why not try and expand my horizons! Reading some reviews on the ship, I was excited for this time with my family, and was unfortunately left unfulfilled. Carnival Splendor is in dire need of some updating. The entire ship seems to be very tired looking, and very dark and dreary. I felt like I was trapped in my Grandmothers old, dark house. Traveling with other cruise lines, ships I have experienced and enjoyed are open, airy, and sparkling. Splendor has visible rust everywhere, dust and dirt on the floors, and garbage piled up in certain areas. With the walkways being so narrow, we got very well acquainted with some passing strangers, as we had to brush up against them at every pass. The buffet on the Lido deck was an interesting area. I understand that tables need to be cleaned, but staff walking into cruisers, sometimes with their carts, is inappropriate. Never in my cruise experience have I had to wait 45 minutes for a hamburger, which was the consistency of a hockey puck, and to have it served with a side of attitude, despite my saying please and thank you. Food in the buffet was not very appetizing, nor did it have much a variety. I know that going on a cruise, with my shellfish allergy, is not always the easiest thing to accommodate, but I do not think that it is asking too much for some of the food to not have some sort of fish in it at some point. Breakfast is served up until lunch, but at 2pm, the food is whisked away, never to be seen again until nearly 6, but it is explained that there are other areas in which to get food. Again, if you want to wait 45 minutes in line. While on deck, do not expect to see any servers walking around taking drink orders, especially after 3pm. We asked one to come over and he actually rolled his eyes, took his time coming by, and then charged the wrong drinks to the wrong cards... I mean seriously, what 7 year old gets a Mudslide? The "adult" pool in the aft area is a figment of imagination, as it was infested with quite a few many kids despite being told once that they need to go to the main pool. Unfortunately, with the size of the main pool, I cannot blame them for wanting to seek water solace elsewhere. And while there were no servers, there were also no clearers, so the deck is filled with dirty dishes, empty glasses, etc... At one point, we hit rough seas, and the water from the pool was sloshing out, which I get cannot be controlled. However, the drains were not working on the sides of the ship, so those on the starboard side of the ship had 5 inches of water underneath their lounge chairs, almost like their own little tide pool. The solution to this was to close the pool, on a 90 degree day, and get drain it. Seems logical. The staff was overwhelmingly rude. When passing you in the hallway, most would avert their eyes, or look down, or simply just walk past you and not say anything. I don't expect them to all know me by first name, but when I say hello to you, and ask how your day is going, don't grumble and walk away, or ignore me, but acknowledge with maybe even a smile. Even the comedian on the ship made a crack during one of his shows, referring to Carnival as the "project of the seas". Drinks were reportedly refreshing, according to the family, however I was slightly disappointed that there is no fountain soda, and everything is poured out of cans, so by the time it reaches the guest, its flat. Minor setback, against the others. This being said, not everything was bad... Beatrice and Daniel in the Gold Pearl Restaurant were EXTRAORDINARY! They made dinner every night something to look forward to. We loved their company, and wanted to take them home with us. Ramil on Deck 6 was a fantastic steward. He always greeted us with a huge smile, and asked how our day was. Our room was spotless, and we never had to ask twice for anything. The shows in the theatre were quite entertaining, and we looked forward to seeing them every night. Overall, this was an eye opening experience for me. We made the best of our time, and made our own fun, but I can guarantee you that I will never travel with Carnival again, and if you want the true way of how cruising should be, go look at Royal Caribbean and see how it's really supposed to go.

Very Disappointed; Sticking with Royal Caribbean!

Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by jcronin3175

• Sail Date: July 2015
  • Destination: Caribbean

This being said, not everything was bad...

jcronin3175’s Full Rating Summary