3. Radiance of the Seas
We were very excited about this cruise. My husband had been on cruises years ago when single, but for myself and our daughter, this was our first cruise. I was impressed with the check in procedure and although a little time consuming, all ran smoothly. We were offered a buffet for lunch which we were told by one of the staff off the ship would be Japanese. There was no Japanese food to be seen, just normal "buffet" type food. The food itself was pretty ordinary but we didn't mind as we weren't planning on eating other meals in the Windjammer Cafe. We had arranged My Time dining. The food was fine but certainly nothing to rave about. The wait staff were friendly though. We ended up being too late for the dining room breakfast the next morning so we had to once again return to the Windjammer. The food was dreadful and we barely ate anything as most of it look horrible. We had been warned people would be trying to sell us stuff all over the place and they weren't wrong. If I wasn't expecting it to happen, I would have got quite cranky with the pushiness. We enjoyed playing trivia, the bingo was painfully slow and the mini golf was good fun. That's about all we got to do as our daughter became ill about 36 hours after getting on the ship. I won't go into too much detail, but it was at this point the staff were simply not capable. We had to cancel our tour in Ketchican, which they ended up trying to charge us for even though they had agreed not to. After our port stop in Ketchican where our daughter went downhill quickly, she was "confined" to the room. They assumed it was gastro or similar. I rang the nurse at one point to ask if I could bring her down to the medical room to get her temperature checked. I was told I couldn't do that as she was confined. I then asked if she would come up and check her temperature and was told they don't do that. I got very angry at this point. Where is their duty of care? They finally allowed me to take her down and her temperature was 40 degrees. Anything we requested was a problem for them. They couldn't understand why it was not suitable to have an incredibly sick child stuck in a room with no medical assistance. We were told "it's okay, you're not confined, you can still go out". Seriously? And leave our sick 11 year old to fend for herself? We were also unaware we could order room service as our room never had a room service menu or any other information. We were promised a room service menu at least 3 times, but never received one. We were in an interior room. It was very obvious our daughter needed fresh air. We asked if she could sit on a chair on deck 5 under the life boats (we had been there numerous times and no one goes there). We were told no. I asked if there was somewhere else we could go that would give her some air, but was told there wasn't. They eventually allowed us to use one of their spare balcony rooms for the day. It was very obvious to me that our daughter was very ill and getting worse. A doctor finally consented to see us and she was incredibly rude. They connected our daughter up to an IV (without wearing gloves which I found odd), and got some fluids into her for about an hour. They then told us to take her back to our room. I expressed concern about doing that as she was not improving, and was told by the doctor "well if you don't think you're capable of looking after your child, we can keep her here". Again, seriously? We then demanded to see the senior medical doctor, who after reviewing the situation, agreed our daughter should go to hospital. We then spent the next 5 days in Juneau hospital, where after numerous tests were conducted, it was found she had severe Salmonella. Our daughter was incredibly ill and it scares me what would have happened if I had accepted the ship's medical staff's opinion and just let her stay "confined". Thankfully we are home now and she is well on her way to recovery. From the time we disembarked from the ship, no one from RCL has been in contact with us to see how our daughter is. Their total lack of care is disgusting and I would never recommend RCL to anyone. It's possible we would go on another cruise, but certainly never with RCL. Make sure you investigate how the cruise line deals with serious medical situations before booking any cruise.

Very Disappointed

Radiance of the Seas Cruise Review by Scully73

• Sail Date: June 2015
  • Destination: Alaska

Scully73’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Radiance of the Seas price drops

Our interior cabin was clean and comfortable, but was missing vital information including the room service menu. The shower is dreadful and needs to be angled just right to stop it flooding the bathroom. There was often a bad sewerage smell coming from the bathroom even though the toilet was clean.
  Radiance of the Seas Deck Plans