Having just come back from Arcadia, I cant make up my mind on where the problems and issues I experienced with the ship came from? Was it P&O's fault for promising an Adult only ship but presented what was nearly a "floating care home" or was it my fault for not reading or ignoring reviews and going there in the first place? Its presented as ADULT only, but what I did not expect was the actual reality of the "Adult Age" that attracts folks to Arcadia (average 75-80 year old, Captian confirmed this as one of his stats). Apart from the condition of the ship, the next thing you notice is the entertainment, its poor and lazy, all background piano playing lounge music (and not that great) wherever you go. Buffet is a nightmare, at lunch I joined the Belvediere on an empty line behind two elderly ladies who discussed and poked at every dish available before picking (and in one case putting back food at least twice) for at least 15 mins. And by this point there where 30 frustrated people in the Q behind us, but these two carried on regardless, jeeezz, and that took my tolerance to a whole new level! But that sadly that was not a one off, its what you experience everywhere and everyday on Arcadia. P&O should be reakky honest when advertising this ship and who it caters towards, its an Adult 70+ friendly ship as that is what they deliver to that market. Ship: Tired looking even after the partial refit, with a distinct lack of public area cleaning apart from at night (glass doors and chrome you would not want to touch, including lifts). Buffet: At a push, reasonable food for buffet, (but aimed at the English market in choice) but with the usual issues of finding a clear table not covered in someones bag, book or belongings as reserved. Main Restaurant (8:30 sitting) - Excellent, service and food of very good standard. Freedom Dining: Never did it, but heard complaint after complaint from passengers that did. Biggest complaint I heard was it was slow to take you in, then they rushed you back out again to free the table Entertainment: As I said above, poor in fact very poor by the standards I have seen on other P&O ships, including the Headliners team. And as far as the entertainments team are concerned, wow! The laziest I have ever seen on any ship, apart from silly dancing everyday 4 days or so around the pool, I seen them more sunbathing with the passengers than entertaining! Days at Sea: Nothing happens unless you want to play Bridge, other card games or go to a quiz. Apart for the odd thing happening on deck, in reality its all very quiet and I guess subdued to suit the elderly guests and the book readers,,,mmm Cabin: A rear balcony and for the first three nights we hardly slept due to the noise and vibration of the propellers as the ship was at full speed to reach port and the whole place was shaking, but to be honest we got used to it and it would not put me off rear cabins in the future Staff: Cabin and waiting staff I cannot praise highly enough. Very friendly and efficient Conclusion: I would not go back on Arcadia again and its more to do with the mindset of both the age group experienced and the entertainment P&O thinks it should provide for its majority age bracket on this ship. And to get that into perspective I am mid sixties and my wife is nearly seventy, so God help those even younger than us.

My fault for not reading others reviews or the reality of Arcadia?

Arcadia Cruise Review by Jock