3. Allure of the Seas
I travelled with a family of 6, using 3 staterooms. After embarking and waiting a few hours all the luggage had arrived except mine. I didn't bother at the time as I expected it would eventually turn up. However just after 10pm, our stateroom attendant spotted me walking along the corridor and shouted rather loudly that my suitcase was being held due to the alcohol I had inside. I found this to be rather strange as I am tee total and certainly didn't bring any alcohol with me. Down to deck 2 I go. I am met by a lady wearing a suit and two rather large security guards in uniform who look rather menacing. I see my suitcase there and someone has stuck a large sticker with a picture of a whisky bottle on to my suitcase. I point out my suitcase. The lady says it is not RC policy to allow alcohol on board and I need to let the security men search my case and remove it. I tell her they are mistaken and there is no alcohol inside. She replies that it has been seen on the X_ray. I repeat that they are mistaken and ask if they can please remove the sticker and give me back my suitcase. She says I can only get my suitcase once the security guards have searched it so I smile and tell them to go ahead. After rummaging around in my case and spoiling my neatly folded clothes, the two guards look at each other blankly. I ask if they are having any luck. Obviously there was no alcohol there. I did try to tell them that. The first guy looks at me and says " OK, you are free to go ". " Oh no I say, it's not OK. It's pretty far from OK, and I don't need your permission to go. I then ask who put the sticker on my case cos I want that person to take it off again. I also ask why they were so sure that there was alcohol inside and how they could make such a mistake. But it's no use asking as they all go silent on me. No one apologises. I tell them that all they have done is embarrass me but the lady tells me it's alright now and asks me not to make a fuss. I tell her to get her boss straight away but she doesn't. I end up taking my case away and carrying it up to my stateroom. Not a great start to the cruise. The ship is too crowded. I was on the Allure a few years back and it wasn't as crowded then. Some additional staterooms have been added at the expense of public venues. Also, in the solarium, where are the cabanas ? . And what about making you queue for the Windjammer ? I have never on any cruise had to queue to get into the buffet, this was a first. And when you eventually got in, there were lots of free tables. This scheme isn't working RC. You should let us go into the buffet and find our own table. If it's too busy we can go elsewhere. Drinks were way too expensive. A total rip off. A bottle of Bud cost nearly $9. Also, when I pay a cover charge to get into a specialty restaurant ( Chops was $40 ) I don't expect to see further prices on the menu. A porterhouse steak cost me another $20. This meant I paid $60 just to get a steak. I know restaurants at home that are much cheaper than that. I also made the mistake of taking one of their overpriced shore excursions. Problem was, I didn't get to see the place we went to visit. They took $36 per person for a visit to Pompeii. For six of us this came to $216. I found out on the bus there that this didn't include admission to the site. If we had went by train it would have cost 5 Euros return. On the way there the guide on the bus told us we had two hours on our own before we had to go back to the bus. When we got there the queue for tickets was about 3 hours long . As a result I stood in a queue for 2 hours trying to buy tickets instead of getting to see Pompeii. I assumed RC would refund my money. I was wrong. They offered me a 30% discount . They said their tour only promised to take me to the gates of Pompeii. They said they could not know for sure that I wanted to go inside. Have you ever heard anything so ridiculous ? When I buy a $36 excursion to Pompeii I think it is pretty obvious that I may want to go inside. I told them was not acceptable and upon return I have written to ask for a full refund. If I don't get it then RC may have just lost a customer.

When you screw it up RC, you should apologise and make good.

Allure of the Seas Cruise Review by gettinold