3. Carnival Conquest
Where should I begin? Well, lets start with Embarkation! Very disorganized by the port staff. Two guys in suits, one with a mega phone making announcements no one could understand. The other one, a little younger, trying to organize groups for boarding. I am a Gold and my wife has never cruised before. My sister was also joining us in my cabin! The younger fellow, announced Platinum and Gold to proceed to escalator. We did and I started up the escalator. The older man, with the megaphone, had a different idea! He stopped my wife and sister from entering the escalator. I turned around on the escalator and saw them at the bottom! I was at the top of the escalator and saw the older guy, looking confused and not knowing what to do! Finally, some man told the younger guy about my wife and sister and he personally stepped in and allowed them to proceed! Very chaotic and everyone was getting hot under the collar! The cruise got a little better after embarkation! We went to our cabin and dropped off our bags and proceeded to the café for lunch! Very good lunch and we decided to explore the ship. We were on deck 5 and started smelling smoke! The closer we walked towards the casino, the more smoke we smelled! When we entered the casino, we had entered the Smoking Section of the ship! As the week proceeded, the smoking got worse and I noticed everyone at the Casino Bar was smoking! Terrible! They need to install poker machines in the bar, so the smokers can at least make a little money for Carnival, while they stink up the place! Maybe Carnival should advertise the Conquest as a Smokers Cruise! The Main Dining Room was very good. Food, Staff & Ambiance! Our waiters were great along with our wine steward! On the first night, I saw people dressed in shorts, t-shirts, and ball caps entering for the evening meal! Even flip-flops! Well, I thought maybe the luggage had not been delivered to their cabins! Next night, same thing! Beach wear at the Main Dining Room! I personally like to wear slacks and a nice open shirt with shoes for the evening meal! Someone told me Carnival was going Super Casual, but I think they have gone too far! My last cruise was a Transatlantic on the Splendor where everyone dressed appropriately! I was a little shocked at the shorts and hot pants at the evening meal! Please take off your ball caps before entering the dining room! I'm surprised they didn't allow smoking in the Dining Room! Our cabin steward and assistant excellent! My only complaint was limited air conditioning. I had an Aft Cabin, so maybe the air had a hard time reaching my cabin! I didn't complain though! Entertainment: Brits was very good, as well as the comedians! The magician was terrible, as well as most of the other entertainment! We entertained ourselves, so we had a good time, but we stayed away from the Casino Smoking Area! The ship is showing it's age, but the staff kept the ship in pretty good shape! The bartenders, front desk, and other staff were very good! I never saw the Captain even on the semi-formal nights, but did see some of his staff! Overall, an Average Cruise! We had a nice time! I know I will never cruise on the Conquest again and probably never cruise in the Summer when schools out! The kids and the teenagers were having a good time throughout the ship! I just need a more grown up group of folks who know what Smart Casual means and feel good dressing up a bit in the evening!

Good Cruise For Kids, Teenagers & Smokers

IsanTom’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Conquest price drops

Aft-View Extended Balcony
Cabin 8N 8457
Very Good and comfortable! Need better air conditioning! Our room Steward and assistant Excellent!
Verandah Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins