3. Allure of the Seas
This was the first time we sailed on the Allure of the Seas after having been on Independence of the Seas (IOTS) for two weeks last year. My wife and I along with our kids ages 15 and 11 stayed in two interconnecting balcony rooms overlooking the Boardwalk. I have mainly positive things to say about the Allure of the Seas. In fact there are so many positives I couldn’t mention them all here. However, I think it is only fair to mention what I felt was disappointing. I appreciate some of my comments in this regard are my own personal take on it and may not be everyone’s experience. Embarkation Barcelona was very quick and we were on the ship within 25 mins of arriving at the port. There is a little Duty Free shop in Terminal C after you go through security and before you get to the RC check-in desks. RC say you can bring two bottles of wine on board per stateroom so I brought four bottles seeing we had two staterooms. Cost of a bottle of red “Jellybean” is €7 per bottle. If you're a wine buff then I'm sure you're wincing at my choise of wine. This did the trick for me as my pre dinner drink in the stateroom. Wine brought on board is supposed to be consumed in your stateroom only. Whether you decide to abide by that rule is up to you. We also bought a slab of soft drinks. The only security screening was on entrance to the port building. There was no security screning on our luggage going on to the ship. We walked straight on and they just scanned our Seapass cards. The ship It’s HUGE and very impressive. I loved the (IOTS) last year but the Allure is in another category altogether. Very clean and easy enough to get around (as long as you have good walking shoes). The ship was full for the week with over 6,000 people on board in addition to the 1500 or so staff. At no time did it feel like the ship was crowded with the exception of poolside particularly during the sea days or when we were not at a port. The lifts can take some time when busy and do not always remember the Deck you selected. Food The Windjammer Market place was surprisingly small considering the size of the ship. Apparently this is because of the numerous other dining options on board. We love Windjammers and I always find the food more than adequate for our needs. It can become repetitive but as mentioned there are other dining options available. Most mornings we ate in Windjamers but did try the Cafe Promenade which I didn’t like at all. Too many pastries and breads for my liking and also quite small. We also tried the American Icon restaurant for breakfast which was fantastic. Great food and a way more relaxed atmosphere. Table service also available which was nice. We ate lunch in Windjammers and food was plentiful and really good. Twice we had our lunch in the Solarium to the front of the ship. Food there was excellent and a much healthier selection. No danger of going in to a food coma here. It was a very relaxing place to dine. The Solarium is not open to kids under 16 years old but Solarium restaurant is open to kids. There are other places available for lunch such as Central Park 150. My wife and daughter went there and liked it. Evening Dining We opted for My Time Dining which really suited us. The down side to this option is that you don’t have the same table and waiter every night. Our kids always love dining with us like this so no need for colouring books, headphones and handheld gaming devices to keep them entertained. Not that they need these things anymore at the ages they are at now. Of course there was one or two evenings where it was just my wife and I for dinner which was great. I’ve no doubt the kids loved doing their own thing as well. The food was wonderful and more than enough. Staff were incredibly polite and very attentive. Entertainment The cruise director on the Allure (Jerome) was very good. His Morning TV program was always entertaining and I felt we were getting a real sense of his personality there rather than what we were seeing at events. In Jeromes defence I think he had a difficult task as the ship is huge and has a lot going on. Over 4000 people boarded a few day before us in Rome. I genuinely believe this changes the dynamics of the cruising experience and effectively it meant the cruise director and his team were trying to cater for two cruises. All in all the Cruise Director and his team did a good job. Jerome was very funny and entertaining and hats off to him for having to try to do all that on such a large ship. Mama Mia was certainly the highlight for us. It was spectacular and great fun. Oceanair in the Aquatheatre was excellent also. Blue Planet was amazing and came a very close second place to Mama Mia. Of course I have to mention the Dreamworks shows. They were all excellent and it was great to see the young (and not so young) passengers enjoy these shows. The comedy club was a disappointment. I simply didn’t find the comedian funny. I think he played to a tough crowd that night too which didn’t help. I must mention that we had some glitches with our supposedly prebooked shows and activities. RC moved the Dreamworks character breakfast from the Monday to the Tuesday morning. This wouldn’t have been a problem except they hadn’t informed us of the change. We only spotted this when we asked for a print out of our booked activities. Our Mama Mia reservations did not show up on the scanning device they use as you enter. Luckily a member of staff had his iPad with him to check online for bookings. My advice would be to have a confirmation printout with you in advance to prove you’ve booked. Also double check onboard that activities are going ahead as planned. These were only small glitches but potentially very upsetting. Pools Plenty of pools to choose from and I was pleasantly surprised to see pool attendants remove towels from sun loungers who had gone over the 30 mins maximum period. I was surprised that the pool had salt water in it and not fresh water. It irritated my eyes somewhat so I tended to stay away from that pool. Other pools did not have salt water so at least there was the option to change pools. The adults only Solarium is beautiful. I think the age limit should be >18 years of age and not the current 16. Afterall, an adult is 18 plus. Gym/Library Very small gym considering size of the ship but adequately equipped. The library was also very small but beautifully quiet. A nice little spot to have a quiet read. Kids /Teen Clubs My 11 year old daughter LOVED the Adventure Club. We nearly had to bribe her at times to come away from it. Staff great, polite and fantastic with the kids. My 15 year old son went to the Teen Club. He really enjoyed it but felt because many had got on in Rome a few days earlier, it was initially difficult to join in. No sooner was he making friends, they got off in Rome and another group got on. He said he nonetheless said he still enjoyed the club. He also said the other teens were all great and the staff excellent. Excursions It proved too expensive for all four of us to be going on the official ships excursions. We did our own thing at ports and also stayed on the ship rather than be off the ship for too long. Palma de Mallorca – A long walk in to the town, a good 25 - 30 mins. The day we were there it was quite hot and our first port of call so maybe the heat made it feel long to me. A taxi costs no more than €8 each way and only takes 5 mins. We went to the beach to the left as you approach the town. There are steep steps on to the beach but manageable. We hired a little padelo for €11 an hour. This was great fun at little cost. Marseille – You can’t walk to the town from the ship and have to pay €23 per person return for the shuttle bus. Taxi costs over €40 return (at least that's what I heard). We didn’t go in to the town as we had been there before on a previous cruise. Marseille tourist board should take note that many people are not bothering to go visit due to the excessive price of the bus. Le Spezia (Italy) – This is the port for Florence and Pisa. There is a free and very regular shuttle bus from the ship to the port building. It takes about 5 mins. The port building has loads of information and a British lady working there was excellent at helping people sort out where to go and what to see. The market is only 2/3 min walk from the port building. We booked a car rental 5 months previously but when we arrived at the Budget car rental desk we were told there was no car available. Needless to say I was annoyed at this but was even more infuriated when the guy behind the desk just shrugged his shoulders and blamed head office for not sending them enough cars. Apparently this is a regular occurrence. My son and I paid €75 each to share a minibus with others to go to Florence/Pisa. Due to leaving late we didn’t have much time in Florence but still well worth it. Pisa was good too but we had been there last year on another cruise so went for an icecream and drink for most of the time there. If you really want to see Florence/Pisa then you may want to consider budgeting for an official ship tour. Florence is a good 100 mins drive from the port and Pisa is about an hour. I spoke to others on the ship and friends back home. Apparently Italian car hire firms have form when it comes to declaring prebooked cars being unavailable. Neeldess to say I'm sure what happened to me is not most peoples exprience nut nonetheless it was very upsetting. My wife and daughter stayed in Le Spezia and said it was a beautiful place. Loads of great buildings, a large market and nice shops. Civitavecchia (Rome) – We didn’t get off the ship here as it was our third time at this port. Rome is a must see if you haven’t been there. There is a free shuttle bus from the ship to the entrance to the port. Turn right and walk 10 - 15 mins to get to the train station for inexpensive and regular trains to Rome. The port itself is industrial and not much to see. Naples – This was personally my favourite stop. You had Sorrento, Pompeii, Mount Vesuvius, the Island of Capri and of course Naples itself. The ship docks right in the centre of the city so no shuttle bus needed. The port building was by far the best one I’ve been to and had plenty of shops. We took a taxi to Pompeii and then to Mount Vesuvius and finally a short tour of Naples including the palace overlooking Naples. It cost €130 but be very careful and ensure you agree the price in advance. Our driver was nice but constantly offering other destinations. Cost of admission to Pompeii ruins is €13 per adult and under 18’s who are EU citizens get in free. You have to leave backpacks at the gate but there is no charge for this. Mount Vesuvius admission costs €10 per person and is a 1km steep walk to the summit. Allow at least an hour and a half for this. Shopping in Naples is excellent and not too expensive. Onboard charges This section is my one serious bone of contention with RC. There seems to be a little bit of “nickel and diming” creeping in. We were constantly being approached to consider Speciality Dining. This got annoying by Day 3. We paid gratuities in advance but were still being charged 18% gratuities for beverages. We were even being charged gratuities for things like Ben and Jerrys ice cream and popcorn. They are also now adding tax to your bill. This is ludicrous and is a bad revenue stream for RC to be implementing. I have no problem paying gratuities for a good service but I resent not having a choice but to pay it. I went to Guests Relations and they said the gratuities I paid in advance only covers housekeeping, entertainment and dining. I found this explanation unsatisfactory and will certainly not be paying gratuities upfront in the future. I’m happy to pay directly to the individuals I’m dealing with. I found if you order a drink in one of the restaurants they don’t charge gratuities. The Art and Crafts is now a fee paying activity, it wasn’t last year. The cost of Spa treatments are extortionate. Well over twice what we pay at home for the same thing. Overall I thought the Allure of the Seas is a great family trip. My kids were thrilled with it. I would suggest very small kids would really love this ship as there is plenty for them to do and ample space to do so. The entertainment was excellent. Food fantastic and staff a pleasure to deal with. It is a big ship and you will not get to see everything in one week. Despite some of my criticisms I would certainly rate the Allure highly and recommend it to anyone, particularly families.

Fantastic ship for familes but didn't like the unavoidable gratuities

Allure of the Seas Cruise Review by corku2fan

Gym/Library

Kids /Teen Clubs

Excursions

Onboard charges

The Art and Crafts is now a fee paying activity, it wasn’t last year.

corku2fan’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 10 to 12
Ages 13 to 15
Get Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas price drops

Cabin 14711 &1471
We stayed on Deck 14 overlooking the boardwalk which happened to be the highest deck in that area. Sometimes you would hear a thud over our heads when someone was running or when a deckchair fell. Not really a problem to be honest as this happened no more than a few times. We had a great view of the people brave enough to try out the zip line. There is a lot of noise from the Boardwalk but when you close your balcony door you really can’t hear anything at all. It certainly never caused us any problems. As expected it was very clean. Our stateroom attendant (Joaquim) was excellent and incredibly friendly, a real credit to the housekeeping team. Our kids stayed in the adjoining room which gave us all the space we needed. We had the option of having the interconnecting door unlocked as well and the balcony partition left open. This created a bigger living space and avoided a lot of clutter. The balcony overlooked the Boardwalk and we were about 7/8 balconies away from the Aquatheatre. This was great as we could people watch and see the shows from the balconies. On other cruises we have had a ocean view balcony and I must admit I really missed not being able to sit out on my balcony and watch the waves and/or watching ports coming in to view etc. On the Allure you are watching other peoples balconies. I can only imagine it must feel even more intrusive if you were on the lower decks.
  Allure of the Seas Deck Plans

• Barcelona
    Embarkation and disembarkation port. Have done the Hop On Hop Off bus tour and well worth it.
    View All 2,261 Barcelona Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Barcelona Cruise Port Review
  • La Spezia (Cinque Terre)
    There is a free and very regular shuttle bus from the ship to the port building. It takes about 5 mins. The port building has loads of information and a British lady working there was excellent at helping people sort out where to go and what to see. The market is only 2/3 min walk from the port building. We booked a car rental 5 months previously but when we arrived at the Budget car rental desk we were told there was no car available. Needless to say I was annoyed at this but was even more infuriated when the guy behind the desk just shrugged his shoulders and blamed head office for not sending them enough cars. Apparently this is a regular occurrence. My son and I paid €75 each to share a minibus with others to go to Florence/Pisa. Due to leaving late we didn’t have much time in Florence but still well worth it. Pisa was good too but we had been there last year on another cruise so went for an icecream and drink for most of the time there. If you really want to see Florence/Pisa then you may want to consider budgeting for an official ship tour. Florence is a good 90 mins drive from the port and Pisa is about an hour. I spoke to others on the ship and when I got back home and apparently Italian car hire firms’ sense of customer service is shockingly poor and it is not uncommon for people who have bookings to be told there are no cars available. My wife and daughter stayed in Le Spezia and said it was a beautiful place. Loads of great buildings, a large market and great shops.
    View All 295 La Spezia (Cinque Terre) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's La Spezia (Cinque Terre) Cruise Port Review
  • Marseille
    Marseille – You can’t walk to the town from the ship and have to pay €23 per person return for the shuttle bus. Taxi costs approx €40 return. We didn’t go in to the town as we had been there before on a previous cruise.
    View All 826 Marseille Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Marseille Cruise Port Review
  • Naples
    This was personally my favourite stop. You had Sorrento, Pompeii, Mount Vesuvius, the Island of Capri and of course Naples itself. The ship docks right in the centre of the city so no shuttle bus needed. The port building was by far the best one I’ve been to and had plenty of shops. We took a taxi to Pompeii and then to Mount Vesuvius and finally a short tour of Naples including the palace overlooking Naples. It cost €130 but be very careful and ensure you agree the price in advance. Our driver was nice but constantly offering other destinations. Cost of getting in to Pompeii is €13 per adult and under 18’s who are EU citizens get in free. You have to leave backpacks at the gate but there is no charge for this. Mount Vesuvius costs €10 per person and is a 1km steep walk to the summit. Allow at least an hour and a half for this. Shopping in Naples is excellent and not too expensive.
    View All 1,426 Naples Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Naples Cruise Port Review
  • Palma de Mallorca (Majorca)
    A long walk in to the town, a good 30 mins. The day we were there it was quite hot so maybe that's wwhy it felt so long to me. A taxi costs no more than €8 each way and only takes 5 mins. We went to the beach to the left as you approach the town. There are steep steps on to the beach but manageable. We hired a little padelo for €11 an hour. This was great fun at little cost.
    View All 844 Palma de Mallorca (Majorca) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Palma de Mallorca (Majorca) Cruise Port Review
  • Rome (Civitavecchia)
    Highly recommend seeing Rome but the port itself is industrial and nothing to see.
    View All 2,201 Rome (Civitavecchia) Cruise Port Reviews