• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

Jacquelinecarol1960
First Time Cruiser • Age 60s

Sail Date: May 2015
Cabin: Outside Cabin

I was desperate the see the Norwegian Fjords, which by the way were spectacular, so my sister and I booked a trip with Fred Olsen which included the all inclusive drinks package.

Embarkation at Liverpool was a breeze and the baggage handlers at the port were slick and fast, however, you do have to fight through all types of walking sticks, Zimmerframe walkers and very slow infirm passengers. My sister and I, although not young, felt like teenagers in comparison as the average age on board was in the region of 70+.

Although on the fully inclusive (FI) package, which is good value for money, the rules around what is included in the fully inclusive package is ambiguous and at best vague. This is compounded by the staff offering you items that are not on the FI package, although knowing that you are on the FI package. The result is that you find yourself being charged for a drink that you didn't realise you'd bought? There is a form of stealth sales that goes on as I think the staff receive an incentive to sell drinks and on several occasions I found that I'd unwittingly bought a coffee or a glass of wine in error. The other irritant is that on the occasion that you do order a drink on the FI package you're still expected to sign for the price of it which left us with a tree's worth of paper receipts. Make sure you always check the receipt which has a printed 'FA' on it if you've achieved the fully inclusive package as the staff don't tell you. We found this helpful piece of information from a fellow passenger.

Outside Cabin

Cabin F

A small but clean cabin with 2 single beds in an L shape. Plenty of wardrobe space with hangers and basket drawers. Lovely duvets and plump pillows.

Port Reviews

Alesund

Alesund is beautiful, however, was a public holiday when we docked, therefore, it was empty. We did however, use the 'hop on hop off' facility which was perfect for us and gave us the opportunity to see the sights and views from the cliff tops. Loved the heated seating next to the river side, spectacular views.

Find a Black Watch Cruise