3. Carnival Conquest
A little background: We are 40 something with no children. My husband is disabled and will use a scooter onboard whenever we cruise, so handicap accessibility is REALLY important to us. This was our third Carnival cruise. We have sailed on Princess twice, Royal once and Holland once. For us, the cruise IS the destination. Hotel Information: We flew in a couple days early to take in Miami Beach. We stayed at the Kimpton. I HIGHLY recommend this hotel. They go out of their way for you. When we checked in, we arrived 14 hours later than anticipated (due to a flight crew member getting sick and not having another replacement to take their place hence they cancelled the flight and "made a new flight for us" 12 hours later) The staff was sooo sweet. They went and got us glasses of champagne from the bar when they heard our tail of cancelled flights and rescheduling. We ordered from the restaurant and highly recommend their Cuban sandwich - it is wonderful! Miami Beach is a mere 3 blocks away. Super easy to get to. Joes Crab shack - the wait was too long but their fried chicken was excellent, hubby says the crab was over rated.Took a cab from the hotel to the port. Less than a 10 minute ride. Embarkation: We usually travel with a fold up wheelchair for my husband and because of this, we usually get to go to the head of the lines, which is helpful. The lines for boarding we moving fairly quickly. We also usually arrive later so the room is ready when we get on and the majority of people have already eaten at the buffet. Unfortunately that was not the case this time. We had a difficult time finding a place to sit down. Cabin: We headed down to our cabin about 3:30 and it was ready for us and my husband's scooter was waiting for him (we rent through special needs at sea). We were in a Balcony handicap (6207). It was lovely!! The balcony was a good size. I think the only larger balcony I have ever had was on Holland America Oosterdam. Our cabin steward was wonderful and very accommodating. Our room was always ready and turned down after we got back from dinner. We always do My Time Dining and love it because we never know when we might want to go down and eat - It always depends on what we did that day. Food: We are die hard My time Dining fans of the main dining room. We feel that is always where you will get the best food on the ship (that is included in the price of the cruise) This cruise did not disappoint. As usual, my husband will order a couple of appetizers and a couple of deserts and the wait staff is always happy to accommodate. We love to see what the "Dija" will be each night. This cruise was a step up from previous cruises we have had with Carnival. Overall though, I do feel the overall quality of food is declining since we started cruising in 1997. Guy's Burger Joint is not to be missed. I think we ate there for lunch 2 or 3 times. There is also this great little seafood place above the buffet which I think is only open for lunch. They have fried and fresh seafood - it is great for something different to try. We did not do any of the premium dining houses, as I did not wish to spend my discretionary dollars on that. Services: Loved the fact that they had a laundry facility on our deck. This vacation was all about rest and relaxation so hence, I indulged in a couple of spa treatments - 2 massages and 1 facial. Hubby had a hair cut and shave and LOVED it. I also went to the sauna and steam room every single day. Those were free services. I found it was an excellent way to relax and there were showers right there for afterward. They provided lockers, all you had to do was give them your room key. I HIGHLY recommend taking advantage of the free spa services! One down side was it was Hanukkah and Christmas while onboard. I did not feel there was much preparation or consideration given to the Protestant observation of Christmas. I don't think it would have been too much to ask to have a clergy person or even a lay person lead a worship service. What we got was a the reading of the Christmas story, meditation and some songs. If only I would have known, I would have offered to lead a worship service or even help plan the service they had and spiff it up and make it more "formal" and a little more reverent. Activities: Hubby and I are not show people so we did not go to them, nor did we see the comedians. But we did go to the Hasbro game show and that was a lot of fun to watch. On sea days it was a little hard to find a lounge chair in the sun, but I always managed to locate one. We went to one of the movies under the stars and I just love this. In fact I was looking forward to this when we boarded. They served fresh popcorn at the bar. Hubby and I snuggled, ate popcorn and watched the show. We really like trivia, so we participate in some of that. Disembarkation: It went very quickly when we got off. We opted for the latest time possible as our flight was quite late in the day and had time to kill. Port: Nassau. We have been to Nassau 2 other times. I absolutely love shopping in Nassau. You can get right off the ship and walk to the shopping district. I find the neatest things - linen, pillow covers, dresses and lace jackets. I recommend you stay away from the straw market as you are bombarded by every vendor. St. Thomas: We did the evening Champagne sunset cruise on Christmas Eve. It was wonderful. The day was perfect! Our captain easy going and soo accommodating to us. We were not sure they would let us bring my husbands wheelchair on the catamaran. He can walk short distances so he was able to get on the boat, but we didn't want to leave the wheelchair behind on shore as someone might take it. They said - "No problem" and found a place to strap it down to. My husband had soda and I had rum punch. We quietly sailed and watched the sun go down. One of the land tour operators and her husband joined us. We struck up a great conversation with them and they were pointing things out to all of us. Everyone was so personable. This excursion is what we remember most from the cruise! San Juan: We arrived on Christmas morning to a beautiful sunny day. I went down to Guest Services and they were able to help me find a church in San Juan that was English speaking. She wrote the address down, I got ready and ventures out on my own. It was a $20 cab ride to the church but what a great experience! When I walked out of the church after, I heard a rooster crowing and I walked across the street to the park and there sitting on the back of the bench was a beautiful rooster (in the middle of the city) crowing, declaring the new day. It was so poetic. The taxi driver gave me his number and said to call him when church was over and he would give me a ride back. Sure enough, he was there 20 minutes after I called him. Gran Turk: This is a small British Island. We took the city bus tour. I enjoyed this tour, but my husband not so much. You HAVE to be able to climb up the back of a truck which is turned into an open air tour bus. No room to take his wheelchair. It got left behind where we got on. I was a little nervous it would be gone, but the tour guide assured me it would be there when we got back (it was!!!). He said crime is extremely low on the island. The ride was quite bumpy and rough which was a little difficult on my husband. We made stops at the local Anglican church, former jail, lighthouse and took us on a tour of the city. My husband got out only at the light house as it was quite difficult for him to get in and out of that vehicle. I would not suggest this tour for people with mobility issues. Disability access assessment: The crew was very accommodating and helpful. They anticipated hubby's needs. The passengers on the other hand did not pay attention and were in their own little world and would walk right in front of the scooter. People with disabilities still are somewhat invisible. Getting off the ship was only possible with the hand push wheelchair, they were not set up for the scooter. Staff always came to assist going up and down.

Relaxing Christmas Holiday

kimloveslarry’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Conquest price drops

Balcony
Cabin 8A 6207
This was a handicap balcony room. Very roomy. Bathroom was huge with lots of storage. The bathrooms were large enough to store my husbands scooter in the shower so it freed up the space in the room, as my husband is up and down a lot during the night. It had a nice couch and the balcony was good sized. We LOVE to place our morning breakfast order the night before and have delivered to the room at a specified time. Every single day, they were within 5 minutes of our requested time. Nice job Carnival!!!
My only complaint (and it isn't really a complaint) was the light switch was right next to the emergency call switch, so we accidently hit that a time or two. It resulted in a phone call to our state room checking in on us to make sure all was well. Sorry Carnival!
Upper Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins