3. Regal Princess
I'm going to break this up into sections and tackle the good and bad in each. Rooms Perfect: clean and good sized with serviceable furnishings. A lot of other reviews criticize the size of the balconies, but we were in a standard room and the balcony was great. Two chairs, side table, fresh air -- what's to complain about. The bathroom was completely serviceable, too. Small, but efficient. If anything, the closet was too large; I pack lightly and didn't need that much space -- more drawers would have been appreciated, however. Peter, our room attendant, was great. He seemed to work 24 hours a day and if I had my hands full, he would open my door for me. The towels in the bathroom can be a bit scratchy, but the bed and pillows were amazing. There were no robes, which was kind of disappointing with a balcony, but I picked up some blankets from the attendant and we used those on breezy mornings and nights. Also, loved having coffee delivered in the morning -- a great wake-up call. Food: awful. I repeat, awful. If Alfredo's wasn't on board, I probably would have revolted. The Horizon Buffet was terrible. It's basically three aisles and -- on our cruise -- one entire aisle was devoted to Asian cuisine for all three meals. The bread baskets and fruit bowls were frequently empty (and, in the case of the fruit bowls, I'm guessing a petri dish of germs). The omelet station was hidden, and finding it was no great bonus, as they screwed up my order every single time. At lunch, the best bet was the taco bar, which was not outstanding, but at least it was palatable. For dinner, the winner was the cheese tray (couldn't they have that at lunch, too?) and the pasta (which is pretty hard to screw up). Also, as other cruisers have mentioned, no one was gently enforcing hand washing or sanitizing on the way in to the buffet. It was occasionally truly gross. The anytime dining room wasn't truly anytime, until after 7:30 p.m., but they were accommodating the evening we arrived before that time. The servers were fine, but the food was really pedestrian. The best night was Italian night, but it's pretty hard to screw up pasta. The appetizers were generally the best things in the dining rooms and the most inventive. Again, thankfully there was Alfredo's. We probably ate there once a day. If the menu had been slightly larger, we probably would have ate there twice a day. The maître d was too haughty for the experience, but the waiters -- especially Pavlo -- were very responsive. We even toyed with the idea of paying for one of the specialty dining rooms, but -- to be honest -- the menus were not terribly appealing. The ship: the most poorly designed floating hotel. Ever. I read about the 6th floor, but I thought, "Wow, it can't be that bad." It is. You can not get anywhere on the 6th floor, and yet that's where a number of dining and activities are held. The Piazza is fine, but when your only option of getting from the 6th floor to the 7th floor is the spiral staircase, you grow weary of the selfie stick crowd taking their umpteenth selfie on the steps. Don't even ask about the staircase to nowhere midshipt on the 7th floor. Also -- and this isn't a big deal -- disembarkation is different on each day and in each port. They could include these details in the nightly Princess Patter, so you could at least attempt to head down the correct staircase. The bars: two -- possibly three -- thumbs up. Big shout out to the Wheelhouse and Nitish and Stanka. Best service. Ever. Chilled wine glasses, music every night -- if only there was a view. Crooners has a far better view, but far less attentive servers (and no crooning, oddly enough). The Outrigger Bar staff was also very good and they took care of you in the morning, too, if you took breakfast outside of the masses of the Horizon Court. Entertainment: good music all around. Between Orpheum and Rhapsody, you couldn't ask for more. The standards, international tunes and jazz from Orpheum -- awesome and friendly singer and wildly talented pianist -- were great. The fun and extroverted guys from Rhapsody made any venue were they were a party. Activities: mixed bag. The Regal Princess might really want to consider staffing the walking/running track and/or better marking the direction and uses. Again, the number of selfie stick yielding fools aimlessly wandering around was a detriment to a simple mile around the deck. The workout space was small, and -- oddly -- not connected with the spa. There was very little weight space and the open studio was frequently used for sit-down seminars on sea days -- you know, the days you want to, and have the time to, work out. The chilled towels were nice, but how about a water cooler? Ports: why we took the trip. I don't know how else we could have hit as many unique places. The only thorn: Gothenburg -- why on earth did we stop in Gothenburg? Dear Princess, please skip Gothenburg and add a night in Warnemunde or St. Petersburg. Amen and thank you. Guests: 50/50 Our ship was very heavily weighted toward Asian patrons and they just don't have the same societal norms. I know Princess can't manage their guests, but almost every other cruiser of every other nationality seemed fed up by the end of the cruise, due to the shoving, line jumping and general disregard for fellow cruisers. Not a lot of kids and the ones there were enjoying their pursuits. Even though our ship was sold out, you rarely felt crowded (okay, Horizon Buffet). Princess has provided a lot of space options for people to enjoy. Overall: good value for what you got. Pretty much. One final grip: the entire aft sundeck is given over to smokers. On the plus side, it was a quieter crowd. On the negative side, it's a large space wasted on a declining demographic.

The black hole known as the 6th floor of the Regal Princess

Regal Princess Cruise Review by PartORD

• Sail Date: June 2015
  • Destination: Europe
  • Cabin Type: Balcony
I'm going to break this up into sections and tackle the good and bad in each.

Rooms

The ship: the most poorly designed floating hotel. Ever.

The bars: two -- possibly three -- thumbs up.

Entertainment: good music all around.

Activities: mixed bag.

Ports: why we took the trip.

Guests: 50/50

Not a lot of kids and the ones there were enjoying their pursuits.

Overall: good value for what you got. Pretty much.

PartORD’s Full Rating Summary