3. Pacific Jewel
Hi. This was my first cruise with P&O Pacific Jewel. I knew it was only a 3 star ship and I read some Cruise critic feedback that it was just a party boat, but the cruise I was on was definitely not a party boat. It had a lot of families with children on board as it was the school holidays. The boarding was quite good and staff in the check in area were very helpful and friendly. When I got on to the ship it was very nice looking, and staff again very friendly. Also I noticed that there were heaps of drink waiters, and it was like this throughout the cruise and there was hardly anyone standing at the bars. I think Royal Caribbean Cruises should take note of this, as their drink waiters are virtually non existent and if you want a drink you have to queue ->so take note Royal Caribbean as you are being out done by a 3 star ship in this area. The cabin was very nice and clean. The bathroom, especially the shower, was quite big - plenty of room to turn around in the shower. There were heaps of cupboard spaces, and heaps of draws to store things. Service to the room was friendly but limited. I was surprised to find a turn down service at night with a chocolate,very nice touch P&O. Waiters on board were very very friendly and would stop to have a bit of a chat with you. To the staff on board the Pacific Jewel thank you for the great service. In the new Pantry, now where do i start - the queues were very small and finding a table to sit at was not too bad, as the old saying goes 'seek and you will find "a table"'. The food in the Pantry provided very small portions, but you can go back if you want more. I thought they would have had better selections in meats in the fat cow section, as they didn't have roast lamb and only had roast beef the first two days. All there was the rest of the time in the roast meats was stuffed pork and roast chicken pieces. The breakfast bacon was very chewy, like leather, and I finished up giving the bacon a miss on the second morning. If you wanted a fried egg and a grilled tomato you had to go to different counters to get them, and then to the toaster for the toast. By this time your meal is nearly cold. If you want a hamburger in the Pantry it had a sign up saying "Hamburger and beer $10", but you could order it in the main dining room free - needs a bit of adjusting I think, to get it right as it is only a new concept. Don't get me wrong, I think it is a great idea this Pantry. Now for the main dinning room, I had the same table the whole trip and same waiters and I cannot say enough about the service. It was exceptional. As for the meals, they were quite nice but the ice cream was more ice, like another person said in this post. The thing that I thought was a big disappointment was that there was no front view from the ship, as apparently I believe they closed off the front part of the Dome and gave half of the Dome area to the Gym, but still no view out over the front even in the gym as there was a mirror in the gym blocking the view. You couldn't even gain access to the front of the ship at all to view coming into a port, very frustrating. Some of the windows on the side need the tint replaced as they were starting to go opaque and made it hard to see out. The trip went well otherwise, and the staff on board were very friendly and helpful. And again it had no drunks causing trouble, not what I saw just families and retiree type people, plus a mix of young 20 to 30 years olds enjoying themselves and not interfering with other passengers. A great mix of people. Even the kids on board, and there were a lot of them, but they were well behaved. Parents could be proud of their children and the children seem to be having fun. To potential cruisers, don't be scared off this ship thinking it is just a drunken party boat, as it is not, and the passengers are mixed in age and travel experience, great bunch of people. The entertainment was great as there was something going on every night in a number of public rooms like piano playing and you pick the tunes as long as it was on the piano players list, then next door to the Orient Bar was karaoke at the same time, then there was the Theatre shows and plenty of seats and great shows. Also I was very impressed with the way they did their props in the shows, but I won't spoil this as you will have to see it for yourselves. To be honest in the rating, I am rating this as a very good 3 star ship, and it excelled this in personal service

Pacific Jewel - better than expected

Pacific Jewel Cruise Review by ccsclean21

Hi. This was my first cruise with P&O Pacific Jewel.

ccsclean21’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 13 to 15
Get P&O Australia Pacific Jewel price drops

Nice and very clean, also very quiet except for the air conditioner but that was no big issue. Great cabin.

• Mare
    We took a shuttle for $18 return from the port to an area where people can swim - it is basically just a beach swimming hole protected by the outer reef. Lots of people brought the pool towels from the ship, so just by looking around you could see who was from the Jewel with blue and white striped towels. Palm trees line the road, with huts and music playing at the beach. The toilets weren't very clean. There was food available to purchase.
    View All 94 Mare Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Mare Cruise Port Review
  • City Tour
    Tour was interesting and tour guides very good, however Noumea itself is not as good as years ago. I think it has gone downhills in regards to condition of the place. I believe people were paying $10 for a milkshake at the wharf - outrageous.
    View All 48 City Tour Reviews
  • City Tour
    Went to a village and welcomed by the Village Chief, with interactive dancing with the tribe - lots and lots of fun. The people are very friendly. We could still see signs of damage from recent storms with many roofs still damaged and buildings completely destroyed. There was a donation box, so if you have any spare notes or coins put it in to help the people. We are lucky in Australia to have insurance, but they don't.

Duty free is great and they deliver to the ship - go to the store next to the yellow store. If you are walking away from the ship just past the fruit & veggie market, there is a big shop that sells pretty much everything - Fung Kuei Main.

Only downer to trip was finding it Very Annoying having people hounding you to take a mini van ride - ended up having to go out of our way trying to avoid them - wish they would take a hike and take a hint - go away! There are better ways to approach people than by pestering them.
    View All 13,924 City Tour Reviews