3. Dawn Princess
Flight from Sydney to Perth very good. Stayed at a B&B in Fremantle before boarding the Dawn Princess for 9 Nights to Darwin. Boarding was very easy and efficiently done. The meals on the ship were very good, much more pleasurable in the dinning room. The other eating areas at most times were cramped and it was very hard to get a table. We were bombarded with sales or special deals ( clothes, Jewellery, art auctions, spa treatments, casino, drinks, dinning etc.) from the time we got on till the we got off. The pool area was crazy with music/movies coming from big screen, other repetitive music coming from other speakers around the pool. It also got caught in the same places on the disc each time so I asked one of the staff about it and I was told the MP3 player had died so they were using a disc player on repeat. When I asked if they were going to change the disc's from time to time (as this one was faulty) I was told he would have to order it from an officer and see if they had anymore. This did not change for the 9 days we were on board. As we called into Australian ports and Lombok I thought a cheap MP3 player would have been purchased. The pool was hardly used due to the very cold fresh water, even on some 36deg days. On most cruise ships these days the pools are at a constant temp, not heart attack freezing. The Movies under the stars were great. Cosy nights under the stars with blanket and free popcorn, yes free popcorn. Port of Geraldton was very interesting once you got a ticket for the tender and waited till your number was called. Tender back with a long long line waiting. Tender also in Lombok was a little longer due to a tender breaking down. Most people we talked to about there expensive ship bus tour of Lombok said that they only saw rice patties, different rice patties then came back to the tender pick up point. The nightly shows were very good if you could get a seat. Their seemed to be to many people for the size of the show rooms. This is the only ship I have had this problem with including lifts. Around meal times it was very hard to get a lift, so the stairs became the norm. We are reasonably fit people (61 and 63 year olds) that have been on at least 14 cruises all over the world, most of the people on this cruise were much older. At times it looked like a floating nursing home. Maybe the cruise lines should have cruises for 18-40, 35-55, 45-70, 65- 100 and promote them that way. I know we all have to get old but! The dinning room wait staff were very friendly and caring. Nothing seemed to be a problem. Maintenance officers on the ship seemed stern and abrupt when speaking to staff or passengers, probably over worked on this ship. A big thing was with customs officers on board at Broome checking passport and declarations for those passengers leaving in Darwin saying we would need to have them all prepared and ready for disembarking in Darwin. When we got to Darwin there were no Custom or officials on the dock and we were free to leave, so much our countries border protection. Summary. Even after a so called fix up in Singapore, the ship is old and worn and doesn't fit the high end of the market in Australia. They think they can send their older ships down under and we will except them, Sorry not this easy going Australian.

Surprisingly, not as good as I imagined. Disappointed

Dawn Princess Cruise Review by Aussie_Cruiser13

Aussie_Cruiser13’s Full Rating Summary
Get Dawn Princess price drops

Balcony
Cabin BC A345
Cabin was well kept and clean. Bed was very comfortable. Plenty of draw and hanging space. Balcony was smaller than others I have been on. No one seems to clean out there, old paint scrapings and dried salt. Someone was hosing upper level windows and the rubbish from that was splashing on to our Balcony. No one hosed ours.
Riviera Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins