3. Ryndam (Retired)
By the time my review is posted there will be numerous reviews from fellow passengers regarding the outbreak of NoroVirus on this trip and the subsequent impact whilst on board and eventual early curtailment of the cruise. The first thing to say is “Did this spoil our holiday?” I can categorically say “No” My review may be biased as neither my husband nor I were affected by the virus. We kept to our own cabin bathroom and were meticulous around hand washing and sanitising as instructed. It did of course impact on our holiday as it was a bit painful to have to queue for coffee in the Lido and it was a shame that some of the touches that do make the cruise special to Holland and America (flowers on the tables, chocolates on the pillows) had to be withdrawn. The photo gallery, Library & Card room were all closed and the shops were tightly supervised to prevent contamination. The pools were closed for the first week or so but did reopen during the cruise. I must say that the staff were all tremendous throughout. We had the entertainment department regularly helping serve in the Lido along with the cadet engineers and they all provided a friendly service and greeted us with a smile. I realise that these extra shifts must have taken a toll on all concerned but I never saw one staff member lose their smile or let their personal service slip. I suspect it’s not ideal serving ice cream when you are a casino staff member, but they all chipped in and helped ensure that the trip continued. I have never seen so much sanitation taking place on a cruise – the shuttle buses were done on every return trip, decks and deckchairs were hosed with liquid frequently during the day and every piece of gym equipment was washed down with soapy fluid every 20 minutes. In my opinion, it was clear the staff were doing absolutely all they could to prevent the spread. There was extra pressure on room service and the cleaning teams (especially for the ill guests) but again, we did not see any deterioration in the service we received from our cabin attendants. This cruise did attract a high number of elderly guests who frequently and I am sure, unconsciously, touch the rails, shelves, podiums etc around the ship to help steady themselves, especially if the seas are a little rough and it must be difficult to keep on top of this from a sanitation perspective. In HALs position, they really did try to minimise the spread, kept us well informed and unfortunately had to make a difficult decision to end the trip one day early to deep clean the ship. This meant missing out the last fjord stop in Norway. We had planned a Kayaking trip there so that was a disappointment for us but we have visited the Norwegian fjords before so this was not such a blow to us as to other passengers. We also missed one earlier stop in Iceland, Heimay due to poor weather conditions and the captain wanted to avoid an area of Low pressure. This meant we had an extra overnight stop in Reykjavik. It was a beautiful sunny evening and we enjoyed 3 hours ashore there that evening plus the whole of the following day. I hope that the passengers who are on a back to back trip are honest and declare if they have any symptoms before rejoining the ship. Many guests had travelled a long way and instead of being honest and isolating themselves, they were out and about as they did not want to miss their trip. We witnessed one guest being ill in the Lido one evening and the next day he was on a shuttle bus. Our waiters Yudi, Kaka and Jeremy (on wine) were all superb throughout. Nothing was too much trouble if we wanted roast potatoes instead of rice or extra bread and butter or ice cream as an “extra” They remembered how we liked our meat cooking and how we took our tea and coffee. They were a great trio and we were treated very well every night. If they did not have our wine choice, Jeremy provided alternative options that were often a couple of dollars cheaper. Whilst some of the guest entertainers were also taken ill, we still had an enjoyable show every night and shows were rescheduled. I think there was only one lady jazz pianist and one late night comedy show that did not go ahead as planned but other shows were put on instead. My only slight grumble is that the theatre was very cold at night (some guests had coats on) and I remember it was the same on the old Amsterdam ship when we cruised to Alaska. I suspect the older ships in cold climates are tricky to insulate and moderate. I would recommend taking a wrap or jacket to wear at night. The ship is transferring to P&O Australia in September. Whilst other reviewers have mentioned its age, it is true it is an older ship. Our cabin was very clean, lots of storage space and the bathroom had been modernised recently. The bath did not drain very quickly and could not cope with the new power showers volume of water. If you take the plug out completely problem solved. We had a cabin on deck 5 (outside) and we did hear the trolley taking the deckchairs out on deck each morning (between 6.30-7.00am) it trundles along the deck so you can hear it. We are early risers so this did not impact us and it was the only noise we heard from the promenade deck above us. If you are visiting Iceland in the summer I would also recommend an eye mask as it daylight all night long and it can disturb your sleep. I took an airline one that I had kept and it did the job very well. The worst noise was when a guest played basketball. The court is directly above the Lido and the sound resonates loudly throughout the Lido. Due to our destination and age mix we only noticed this couple of times at lunchtime. The ship is small by comparison to others we have used but there was ample space and it did not feel cramped. There was plenty to do with a cinema, digital workshops and all the usual talks. The restaurant and Lido always had spare seats. There was one morning where a high number of trips were all going at around 7.15am and the Lido opened at 6.30 so it was chaotic. We chose to eat breakfast in the dining room for the latter part of the trip to save having to queue for juice and coffee and it did not take too much more time. We still enjoyed our holiday, had beautiful food, enjoyed the entertainment and seen some fabulous scenery in Iceland in pretty good weather for that part of the world. To top it off, we have been compensated beyond what I would have reasonably expected and have a cruise credit for a future trip. They had made all the necessary arrangements for transfers and accommodation for all guests and even offered to put us up in Harwich for the night if that helped our onward plans. We had our car there so we just came home a day early but had we pre -booked rail tickets we could have stayed and travelled back as planned on Saturday. They did not wait for guests to complain but were on the front foot in their plans.

Ryndam Northern Isles and Norway