3. Crown Princess
I had read some very negative reviews before our Alaskan cruise and really wanted to go in with an open mind especially because this was our tenth cruise and first on Princess. Pre-cruise: Princess' payment department used my older daughter's credit card to pay the balance of my husband's and my Cabin C742 rather than correctly use my credit card for final payment. Our credit card was processed correctly for our younger daughter's cabin E511. Final payment was not applied by Princess to my older daughter's cabin and she lost a mid-ship Caribe cabin and all of her pre-booked excursions. Our Travel Agent had to deal with finding a new cabin (A746) for older daughter and her husband. She had to rebook excursions and only could get leftover excursion times. Princess did not compensate her for his pre-cruise grief. Disappointment from A to X: A - a half eaten rotting apple was found on the lowest shelf in the closet/dressing area in E511. Our daughter had wondered why there were fruit flies in her cabin when she had not had any food in her cabin. She found this on the last night when packing up her clothes and had to call Guest Services for assistance. B - our C742 balcony was covered with black stains. From the A746 balcony, we had a direct view of our unsightly balcony. The cruisers next door to A746 even remarked that maybe we wouldn't notice the stains when we were actually on our balcony. Replied that they were the first thing we noticed when we stepped out on our balcony. C - Cruise Director made derogatory remarks about the cruisers from Singapore during the opening theater show. What a nice way to make the cruise enjoyable for all. As third and fourth generation Americans of Japanese descent, we were not very pleased. The Cruise Director set the stage for the complete week and helped to color cruisers' perception of those who were not Caucasian. D - Dining - during our Tuesday dinner in Bottacelli, we watching a Dining staff person approach tables and offer complimentary Champagne Brunch for the following Glacier Bay day. She avoided our table and another table where four Asian Americans were seated. I had a 180 degree view of the dining room and watched her only approach tables where Caucasian cruisers were seated. Thinking that she would eventually make it to our table, I didn't hunt her down. She never came to our table with the offer. X - excursion process was very disorganized. From not having port arrival times and deck disembarking info in the Princess Patter, to an unorganized mess on the piers, getting off to a good start on an excursion was comical. Our guide for gold panning told us to watch the Princess excursion manager run around like a chicken without a head; he was correct. Good: Our Room Steward was awesome. Room Steward for E511 was not, Overall: Weather was beautiful and Glacier Bay day was gorgeous. Did that make up for the overall pervasive racist attitude we felt on the ship? Not even close! My husband and I had cruised on the Norwegian Pearl to Alaska 5 years ago and had a great cruise in an aft cabin directly over the wake. Staff was wonderful on Norwegian and our Cruise Critic group even had a meet and greet with all the Officers. This cruise was a disappointment. I spent 45 minutes on the phone with a Princess rep who followed up after I sent in my completed online survey. No compensation was offered and I was told he was sorry that it wasn't the "Princess experience." I informed him that it was the "Princess experience - OUR Princess experience!"

A Crowning Disappointment

Crown Princess Cruise Review by iTinKso

• Sail Date: June 2015
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Balcony

Disappointment from A to X:

Good:

Our Room Steward was awesome. Room Steward for E511 was not,

Overall:

iTinKso’s Full Rating Summary
Get Crown Princess price drops

Balcony
Cabin BD C742
Last aft cabin on the port side with the extended and bumped out balcony. Multiple black stains on the balcony.

Room Steward was excellent. He went to extraordinary lengths to find a foam pillow for me as I was allergic to the feather pillows.
Aloha Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins