Zaandam Cruise Review

Zaandam Cruise Review by Lalokau

• Sail Date: Jun 2015
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Verandah Suite

We did a land sea tour to Denali followed by the cruise through Glacier Bay to Vancouver stopping at various ports on the way. We booked all our tours through HAL.

The embarkation was a breeze. Quick friendly and efficient.

We arrived at our cabin and our bags were delivered with half an hour. Well done.

The ship is in good shape. The appointments are relatively tasteful and overall, I found her easy to navigate and there were plenty of areas to enjoy.

The Lido Deck was all about food. I have never seen so much food and quite frankly, I found it unappealing however, I am in the minority. The buffet seemed to go on forever and this area always seemed busy. I quite liked the outdoor pool area as it was nice to sit in the sun and enjoy the peace.

The Observation Deck was also quite good with huge lazy chairs and good service. At night, this turns into a dancing/music venue but not too loud...quite good fun.

The Pinnacle Restaurant is excellent. Great food and good array of wines. I liked the service staff but the Maitre D was curt, arrogant and unpleasant. I did not like her or her attention. I preferred the waiting staff who were really lovely.

Canaletto's was OK but just OK...I'd dodge this one next time. It is an Indian chef's interpretation of Italian food.

The shows were awful. Honestly, I dragged my husband to one and we left after 20 minutes...it was so bad. One night, they had a comedian and he seemed OK but the singing and dancing was very basic.

We did attend a wine tasting lesson and that was superb. Well organised and we learnt heaps from the Cellar Master, Raj.

As to the tours, we did not have a bad one. All of them were brilliant. Well organised and all exceeded our expectations. My favourite was the trip to the Arctic Circle. Such a wonderful experience. I am so happy we booked through HAL as I found everyone of the tours superb.

The downsides: the butlers we had drove me insane. They were basically annoying. I found they were over attentive and it doesn't appeal to me. Intrusive.

The suite was noisy...one night it was so bad that the banging and clashing from upstiars went on for hours. To be fair, we complained and they did address the issue. They also gave us a USD$400 credit off our bill for the inconvenience.

Also, the Managers don't consider passengers when doling out the duties to staff. We had five days in port and two at sea so they choose a sea day to grind paint outside the Explorations Library. It was so loud, you could not sit and read. Crazy!! Why not do it on a port day when most people leave the ship??

I have done a personal blog with full details and pics on all tours if it helps.

ineverfeelthecold.blogspot.com

Lalokau's Full Rating Summary

Verandah Suite
Cabin A 7010

The cabin is large and well appointed. Nothing was worn or dated. The dressing room was large and the bathroom good.

Comfortable king size bed with good linen.

The verandah is massive and we appreciated this area in Glacier Bay and when arriving in Port.

We did have a fridge and ice was always available. Laundry service was very good.

Lalokau