3. Island Princess
Well, being platinum members with Princess this is showing which way the company is headed! This ship should have NEVER left dry dock! When we boarded, our cabins were not ready as they usually are on other princess ships, then after about an hour they said they were ready-NOT! Our cabin door did not lock, safe didn't work, phone didn't work, and most of all, there were No toiletries in our cabin. We were supposed to have an ADA accessible suite - WRONG, it was not accessible at all. We paid for an upgrade to a balcony accessible suite, and we could not even get out there, as there was a 4 inch frame on the sliding door to try and get over, along with only a 21 inch opening of sliding door. ADA STANDARD is 32 inches - but in the Mediterranean it must be Smaller.............lol. We usually have luggage in a short time with Princess, wasn't the case, we had staff looking for our luggage and found two pieces at 4:30pm, the rest we received at 8:30pm! Hello, we are platinum members and also in a suite! Well, we ordered room service as we had to cancel dinner reservations as could not shower and change. The first night was hell too, we lost power, and luckily were on same deck as our cabin. Our stateroom felt like there was a freight train running through it with the noise and vibration, and to top it all off, we were called to evacuate the cabin. I told my husband you go, I'll go down with this TUG BOAT! We finally got to bed about 4 am and the comedy of errors continued. I needed to transfer into a manual wheelchair to get off the ship as the gangway was too high, and had like almost stairs as you exited from Deck 7. While I was transferred, I was scared to have 2 young men take me down backwards, and voiced to them that this wasn't right, they were wonderful and told me not to worry, but there were 3 Philippine workers in green uniform standing by the gangway, and one was making fun of me for being scared, and also for being over weight! NOT TO SAY I WAS INTIMIDATED by this behavior..... I might also say that the issues that happened to us after so many started to become comical, as Princess couldn't screw up anymore! We thought, well, we were wrong. We went to the buffet for lunch one day, and I usually don't do sweets, but I asked my husband to get me something. He brought back a small like piece of apple pie, I started to eat it, and then noticed something in it, no not a hair, much thicker than a hair. So I called over a waiter, and asked him to get his supervisor, when the supervisor came, he asked me what is it? I said I don't know, I didn't make it! So I used my fork to get it, and it was a metal brissel from a pastry brush, hello, thank goodness I noticed this, or my insides could have been damaged. Well, Princess's answer to everything, chocolate covered strawberries to your cabin. We explained to them we don't EAT CHOCOLATE... We also realized that the staff did not gel as on other ships. They seemed to be working against each other rather than with each other. Most of the staff did not know anything also, it's like don't ask me I don't know! A few staff members were good, but not many. The bottom line still is this ship should not have sailed. With all the leaks and whatever deck 7 aft smelled terribly, like moldy musty crap. We complained, but sometimes that was talking to a wall. Oh yes people, not to say all of our time wasted from having to contact customer service and repeat, repeat, repeat everything over and over again........... Seems the right hand didn't know what the left hand was doing.......... We also were very late getting to some of our ports, which complicated our private tours that we had paid for in advance. We didn't get shows we were supposed to get, and honestly a couple we should not even have had.......no international cafe that we so enjoy on other Princess ships... What is going on, The Royal Princess was a headache, look at all the complaints, tried to correct some with Regal, but could not quite master that, now with refurbs they are all screwed up........ What does this mean? Oh people, let me tell you, they tried to make amends, gave us our money back for the upgrade from Balcony to Suite, and a few dollars extra, for a trip that we had two pre nights in Venice and two post nights in Barcelona and transfers to the tune of a lot of money, and they don't care! Also, mid week during cruise, they offered us our original balcony cabin back, we said hello, we will have to spend a day packing everything up and then a day unpacking it and putting away. I know it sounds easy, but with medical equipment it is not easy. Be careful when choosing a ship!

Cruise from hell; should have never left dry dock!

Island Princess Cruise Review by Cruisen Girl

Be careful when choosing a ship!
Cruisen Girl’s Full Rating Summary