Island Princess Cruise Review
1,190 Reviews

Don't panic; Island Princess is lovely.

Island Princess Cruise Review by Jersey platypus

• Sail Date: Jun 2015
  • Destination: Europe

I read the forum relating to what the Island Princess would be like after her re-fit with some amusement as everyone seemed to be worrying so much! Anyway, despite having not been on this ship before we have been with a couple of other lines so were able to have something to compare.

We were on Baja deck, mid-ship, and was a great position. Slight vibration but nothing I couldn't sleep through.

The shower is tiny and we did wonder how some coped but I'm sure there was a knack to it. Shampoo, body wash and lotion provided.

The ship never felt crowded, even on sea days you could find a fairly quiet spot and always a chair.

Smokers - no smoking on Promenade Deck - only inside at Churchills, however, a large area on Deck 14. This was great for smokers as the non-smokers, who are in the majority, left us well alone so there were always tables and chairs. The bar staff came around regularly to ask if you wanted drinks.

Horizon Court - we did anytime dining but actually only used the Horizon Court. We tend to eat late so it was fairly quiet. The food was delicious, really tasty and always a good choice. The coffee is pretty revolting but I'm a bit of a coffee snob.

If you have an early start for an excursion my advice would be to order room service for breakfast, sometimes that was a little "hectic".

Sabatini's - we went once for our anniversary/my birthday - personally I wouldn't bother.

Ports were all great - we did Princess tours in each. Some could be a bit better organised but overall all very good.

All the staff we encountered were helpful and really nice.

I swore I would never go on another cruise, but just maybe the Island Princess has swung it.

So in summary, don't worry, you'll have a lovely cruise, and remember we're the lucky ones cruising around the Mediterranean in relative luxury - some are fleeing their countries and risking their lives to get across.

Jersey platypus's Full Rating Summary

Cinque Terre

Beautiful area, but so crowded and hot. Tempers flared slightly between some which spoilt it a bit.

View All 99 Cinque Terre Reviews
Pompeii Walking Tour

We had been to Herculaneum last year and as much as I enjoyed Pompeii I was more impressed with Herculaneum. Also less busy so you could imagine the city as it was more easily.

View All 505 Pompeii Walking Tour Reviews
Istanbul

Been before for a holiday so were able to go to the beach and chill :-) It was a very short stop, I love the Greek Islands so my comments would be biased.

Ephesus

Been before too - fabulous, Fantastic guide. Don't miss out on this one.

Acropolis

Amazing. Athens surprised me - in a good way.

View All 390 Acropolis Reviews
Doge's Palace

Our original tour was cancelled so we ended up visiting St Mark's and the Doge's Palace - wow.

View All 43 Doge's Palace Reviews
Lake Bracciano

Beautiful place. Peaceful, time to reflect.

View All 17 Lake Bracciano Reviews
Mykonos

See Istanbul! Whoops!

PS Istanbul - Grand Bazaar, Blue Mosque and Saint Sophia - stunning and felt very exotic.

Jersey platypus